Options

Wow i really do miss Three after using Voda for 3 days!

Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,357
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As title been using voda for the last 3 days because I bought a new 5S off my mate which was in the process of being unlocked, so while it was locked to voda I was seeing what Voda signal/data was like and its, in a word, crap! Where I live if I'm using Three I get anything from 10-25mbps download speeds, with this Voda sim I'm on Edge! I'm not kidding it took about 20 seconds to load a simple webpage. Where I'm working it's a it better, I do actually get a 3G signal and it's much faster but still not the lightening quick response I get from Three internet.

3 days has felt like 3 months, can't wait till I get home so I can get my Three sim up and running. :D

Comments

• Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    But the iPhone was built for EDGE. Steve Jobs said so. Who needs 3G when you have EDGE.

Amirite?
  • Options
    lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh... so it's not in the 'wilds' of Norfolk that that happens then? Good to know :cool:
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope in a small town in West Midlands too! It just reinforces the reason I've been with Three for all these years. Ok there may be areas where Voda is better than Three, but for my location Voda is a pile of horse "stuff", and Three is superb.

P.s incase anyone gets offended by my comments on Voda, this is just MY opinion and MY experience. ;-)
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    But the iPhone was built for EDGE. Steve Jobs said so. Who needs 3G when you have EDGE.

Amirite?

he never said that about the 5S as he was dead when it launched.
    he only ever said that about the original iPhone.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's safe to assume jabbamk1 was posting a reply for comedic effect rather than a factual response!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's safe to assume jabbamk1 was posting a reply for comedic effect rather than a factual response!

must have missed the funny part.
    maybe he edited it out before i saw it.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

Correct.
  • Options
    lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on three after being on
    Vodafone for most of my mobile life and I must say even though the data is fantastic and speeds can be brilliant I do miss having signal indoors certain places
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a trade off really between what's most important. If you need rock solid voice calls then you want O2 or Voda, otherwise Three's data is fantastic and calls and texts are ok the vast majority of the time, but in some indoor places you may experience issues.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Now for me the experience is the opposite.... Three is very poor in the area where I live..poor signal and coverage at the moment. Though I am led to believe this will improve in the coming months.

Vodafone and consequently O2 I have exceptional coverage with, great throughput, solid connection and excellent voice quality (no so much O2 on that one). But and there is a big but, where I live the area has had massive infrastructure upgrades from Vodafone and O2, essentially they have upgraded all existing and new technologies so 4G/3G/2G is consistent. I have to be fair however 2G on Vodafone does leave a bit to be desired, its not as usable as say EDGE on O2. swings and roundabouts really.

Point I make is experience is always subjective, which should come as no surprise if I'm honest. Mind I say the above, yet Three is easily the best for rural coverage as far as 3G is concerned. I still find it barmy that I can take my phone around Dunham Massey or Tatton Park and still get good reception and coverage.....Which the other 3 struggle.
  • Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Three is easily the best for rural coverage as far as 3G is concerned. I still find it barmy that I can take my phone around Dunham Massey or Tatton Park and still get good reception and coverage.....Which the other 3 struggle.

If 3 has coverage there, so does EE...
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct.

I thought it pretty obvious :D
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    de525ma wrote: »
    If 3 has coverage there, so does EE...

When I was looking to renew my contract with three, I did have a look round at others, both home and work have good 3G coverage on all networks (though O2 was very slow when I was with them a few years ago) my work journey was the deciding factor, it's a rural journey and with three I get marginal 1-2 bar 3G coverage in the sticks with a few corners or no signal at all, Vodaphone was virtually no signal anywhere, O2 was good but 2g GPRS all the way, my big hope was EE.... Some fringe 4g coverage, same 3G coverage as three and seamless 2g strong all the way, my partner is on EE (T Mobile contract) so I decided to check out performance (albeit without 4g) on the several journeys I took the phone sat on 2g and refused to budge on my whole journey, totally useless! Unlike three, EE seem to set there network up to sit on what ever is the strongest signal, great for voice, rubbish for data, I was surprised with this....
    That's one thing i do like about three, it holds on till the death to a 3G signal rather then use the 2g backup and they have set up there 4g network to do just the same.. So it prioritises 4g over 3G, and then 3G over 2g.. For me and my needs this makes for a good network,
    From my experience and what I've read on here, others don't seem to do this.. Something to bear in mind when your choosing network if your priority is data..
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    As title been using voda for the last 3 days because I bought a new 5S off my mate which was in the process of being unlocked, so while it was locked to voda I was seeing what Voda signal/data was like and its, in a word, crap! Where I live if I'm using Three I get anything from 10-25mbps download speeds, with this Voda sim I'm on Edge! I'm not kidding it took about 20 seconds to load a simple webpage. Where I'm working it's a it better, I do actually get a 3G signal and it's much faster but still not the lightening quick response I get from Three internet.

3 days has felt like 3 months, can't wait till I get home so I can get my Three sim up and running. :D

So the moral of the story is that Vodafone don't have 3G coverage where you live and Three do.

I'm certainly glad I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    he never said that about the 5S as he was dead when it launched.
    he only ever said that about the original iPhone.
    must have missed the funny part.
    maybe he edited it out before i saw it.

I thought it was quite funny.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was sitting just a few metres away from him when he said that, and it's especially amusing as he was so obviously already working on the 3G model when he said it! Not that Steve Jobs ever said anything that he contradicted later on, simply saying whatever suited what Apple had/has at the time.

But people bought it (and the iPhone) in the millions and the rest, as they say, is history.

Sadly, in 2014 - some 7 years after the launch of the iPhone on O2 with EDGE, I didn't expect that EDGE is still what I get most on my O2 phone around here - or even GPRS when EDGE is clearly overloaded. :)
  • Options
    huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I thought it was quite funny.

I don't think Apple fans have a sense of humour... maybe its gone after you've sold your soul :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    huwdw wrote: »
    I don't think Apple fans have a sense of humour... maybe its gone after you've sold your soul :D

but i have a nexus 5, so that blows your reasoning out the water.
  • Options
    huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but i have a nexus 5, so that blows your reasoning out the water.

Not really - you can be a fan of something but not own it. It does however, help prove my point :D
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huwdw wrote: »
    Not really - you can be a fan of something but not own it. It does however, help prove my point :D

Yeah, why is an Apple fan boy using a N5? We need answers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Yeah, why is an Apple fan boy using a N5? We need answers.

the mistake made was assuming that i was an apple fan boy.
    when in fact all i was doing was picking up on an idiot trying to be funny (and failing at it) :D
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is also an N5 user, but I like defending Apple on here against the rabid Android fanboys who refuse to accept that Apple are anything but overpriced junk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    corf wrote: »
    Is also an N5 user, but I like defending Apple on here against the rabid Android fanboys who refuse to accept that Apple are anything but overpriced junk.

Why did you buy the N5 over the iPhone.

because the iPhone is over priced or because it's junk? or perhaps a combination of the two?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Why did you buy the N5 over the iPhone.

because the iPhone is over priced or because it's junk? or perhaps a combination of the two?

for me, i went from iPhone to iPhone 3G, to 3GS, to 4, to 4S to Nexus 4 to Nexus 5.
    i changed because i felt like a change, nothing more.
    price wasn't a concern as i always bought every phone sim-free anyway.
    iPhones certainly weren't "junk", neither are N4 or N5.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Yes, he was being hilarious ;-)