Settle a debate about the origins of Rock n Roll

Rio FantasticRio Fantastic Posts: 820
Forum Member
✭✭
Me and my friend are having a debate about which clever goose truly invented modern music - in particular rock n roll, the first genre of music other than classical opera rubbish. I say Elvis Presley was the one who invented rock n roll, whilst my friend idiotically claims that it was Frank Sinatra. Can you guys settle this for us?

Comments

• scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my friend are having a debate about which clever goose truly invented modern music - in particular rock n roll, the first genre of music other than classical opera rubbish. I say Elvis Presley was the one who invented rock n roll, whilst my friend idiotically claims that it was Frank Sinatra. Can you guys settle this for us?

Yes, you're both very wrong. Why not read a book or two on the history of the music instead?
  • Rio FantasticRio Fantastic Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scrilla wrote: »
    Yes, you're both very wrong. Why not read a book or two on the history of the music instead?

No we aren't, friend. I specified I'm not talking about classical music, or of course the answer would be Motezart or whoever, I'm talking about real, modern music. I should also specify I'm talking about who really kicked off the genre, not the fumbling, sweaty, half-baked beginnings, but the one who really mastered it and spawned the entirety of modern music. I think you'll find most musicians and musical historians would consensus that it can be narrowed down to either Frank Sinatra or Elvis Presley. Don't be such an ignorant goose
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given how it evolved and took influences from other music types it's a very tough question - but I'd throw Chuck Berry in as the first bonafide Rock n Roll star.
    And people will always says Bill Haleys 'Rock round the Clock' was the first Rock n Roll hit.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    in particular rock n roll, the first genre of music other than classical opera rubbish
    Ragtime, blues, jazz and big band music all came before rock n roll.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'll find most musicians and musical historians would consensus that it can be narrowed down to either Frank Sinatra or Elvis Presley. Don't be such an ignorant goose

Frank Sinatra has never been a Rock and Roll artist.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No we aren't, friend. I specified I'm not talking about classical music, or of course the answer would be Motezart or whoever, I'm talking about real, modern music. I should also specify I'm talking about who really kicked off the genre, not the fumbling, sweaty, half-baked beginnings, but the one who really mastered it and spawned the entirety of modern music. I think you'll find most musicians and musical historians would consensus that it can be narrowed down to either Frank Sinatra or Elvis Presley. Don't be such an ignorant goose
    There must be better subjects for you to troll about.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always seemed to me that whoever is credited with 'starting' something, there was nearly always someone that 'came before them'.

Very confusing ;-)
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    Frank Sinatra has never been a Rock and Roll artist.

I don't think the op knows anything about music to be honest.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

neither of them but it was no-one in particular really

have a read at this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Epic trolling. My new friend needs to consult a dictionary and search for 'invent'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS: lol >>>
    Motezart or whoever
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    There must be better subjects for you to troll about.

They're having a go over in the BB forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're having a go over in the BB forum.
    Ah, so they take time to discuss Big Brother on the internet. That would explain everything! :D
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you think there was nothing but classical before rock n roll, you are seriously lacking in knowlege.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think rock n roll started with elvis then you are lacking in knowledge and if you think that if it wasnt elvis then it was frank sinatra then this is getting silly.

Frank sinatra had nothing to do with the genre, so rule him out. the genre came from black r n b singers, predating elvis but up to 30 years, elvis started with hillbilly music and he evolved. Do your homework, google origins of rock n roll and if any of them say elvis, then look elsewhere.

Elvis's importance should not be over looked though, but the birth of rock n roll, ridiculous.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

Oh the irony.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    The OP needs to search out the BBC4 programme 'Rock N Roll Britannia'.
    He'll get his answers at the beginning of that.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Ragtime, blues, jazz and big band music all came before rock n roll.

And rock n roll drew from all of them :D
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which clever goose truly invented modern music

Was it the Blue Goose?

Or the Grey Goose?

No, it was the Rockin' Goose.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt if the OP cares anyway, but it's widely acknowledged that rock & roll developed from skiffle – Lonnie Donegan especially. I would have thought that the jitterbug of the 1920s would have influenced the dance style and Bill Haley & The Comets were certainly playing music described as rock & roll right at the beginning.

Later on, blues influences crept in, leading to rock without so much of the roll.

Anybody who thinks Frank Sinatra had anything to do with it whatsoever is obviously an idiot. If anything, he probably despised it.
  • johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on, everyone knows One Direction created what we now know as modern music.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt if the OP cares anyway, but it's widely acknowledged that rock & roll developed from skiffle – Lonnie Donegan especially. I would have thought that the jitterbug of the 1920s would have influenced the dance style and Bill Haley & The Comets were certainly playing music described as rock & roll right at the beginning.

Later on, blues influences crept in, leading to rock without so much of the roll.

Anybody who thinks Frank Sinatra had anything to do with it whatsoever is obviously an idiot. If anything, he probably despised it.

Absolutely. Just because he was around at the same time. It's like saying The Dooleys started punk because they were around at the same time :o
    Shame the troll doesn't appear to want to join in again!
  • johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pity it was a joke thread actually as the essential question is a decent enough thread starter. I do hope it was a joke/wind up as I would like to think that no-one is that dumb.

Not entirely sure if Skiffle had a direct effect on the origins of RnR though, which was a US invention. Skiffle was esssentially a British movement..although it a was a good grounding for home grown rock n rollers.

Personally I'd put it down to the early Blues men, Robert Johnson being a good starting point.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blues for me, thats the start of the evolution, that and jazz, jazz more so now that I think about it.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lonnie Donegan was a skiffle revivalist, skiffle music had its origins in the US in the 20s but largely died out in the 1940s. Rock n Roll has it's origins well before Lonnie Donegan although he was an important influence on a lot of the 60s British bands.

I tend to agree with the idea that Rock N'Roll doesn't have one inventor but this wonderful lady Sister Rosetta Tharpe who worked in the 30s and 40s would have a better claim than most.