Options

Stories/Episodes you can't get into.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However, I do agree with you about The Space Pirates. As with Fury From The Deep, I think if this story was rediscovered, I'd still find it a difficult watch. Based on the surviving episode it simply crawls along and the fact The Doctor and Co spend most of their time of that episode locked in one room tells just sums up how slow this story is. Sometimes you can see in Troughton's performance that he was maybe tiring of the role at this point, something he admitted himself in later interviews.
    )

You're probably right. The one hope is that an actor's portrayal, which can often not come across very well in a reconstruction, might make things more interesting. I think this happened with Maaga in Galaxy 4, who was a totally unregarded character I never found remotely interesting until 'Airlock' turned up and the actress, Stephanie Bidmead, was really very compelling.

As for the rest, I almost felt guilty typing the Davison bit because I worry it must sometimes seem like I deliberately criticize all the things you like :p But I think we both expect nothing other than total disagreement by now :p
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thamwet wrote: »
    The "Ganger" two-parter from series 6.

Definitely this.

It's got the style, tone and atmosphere of episodes/stories I normally love . I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to sit and watch it in full but I just can't. Something about it doesn't grab me and I just can't give it my full attention and end up switching off.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Edge Of Destruction/Inside The Spaceship
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    The whole of series 5/6 bored me stupid. Had no interest in the storylines or even the characters. Some stand a lone episodes were an exception - I found Vincent and the Doctor interesting, the Girl Who Waited too. But otherwise, found myself flicking off halfway through.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    You're probably right. The one hope is that an actor's portrayal, which can often not come across very well in a reconstruction, might make things more interesting. I think this happened with Maaga in Galaxy 4, who was a totally unregarded character I never found remotely interesting until 'Airlock' turned up and the actress, Stephanie Bidmead, was really very compelling.

As for the rest, I almost felt guilty typing the Davison bit because I worry it must sometimes seem like I deliberately criticize all the things you like :p But I think we both expect nothing other than total disagreement by now :p

I know, but it's fun that we always disagree!:D

Though I agree about Galaxy Four. In audio this story really doesn't work but that episode that was discovered breathes new life into it and I would love to see the whole story in full.
    The whole of series 5/6 bored me stupid. Had no interest in the storylines or even the characters. Some stand a lone episodes were an exception - I found Vincent and the Doctor interesting, the Girl Who Waited too. But otherwise, found myself flicking off halfway through.

Erm....this......

*Runs*

;-)
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member

Me too! It started off well (IMO) with The Eleventh Hour....but went slowly downhill from thereon! Previously, I had ALWAYS recorded the show if I was out......this time - if I wasn't in, I didn't bother! I have box-sets of all the first four series. Haven't bothered buying any more since!
    No dis-respect for Matt Smith - although he did have annoying habits. And as for that bloody Sonic Screwdriver!!!>:(
    Roll on season 8!
  • Options
    doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    Don't dislike it but Four to Doomsday, bit dull a missed opportunity overall. As I can see what they were trying to do with it. Haven't seen Vengeance on Varos for a while but it's one that is okay but as the OP asks just don't get to grips with the action In front of me!
  • Options
    DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I'll start by saying that I really enjoyed Pertwee's "Frontier In Space" - the mystery of who was trying to cause the war and why, the interrogations/questionings by both sides, the action on the moon prison - I found all these to be good, gripping drama. (It sags a bit in the middle, once The Master comes into play, and the ending seems very rushed), but apart from that...the final scene in the Tardis seemed to hold the promise of a really great sequel.

But for me, what follows are six of the most boring, turgid episodes of Who that I can ever recall. I just cannot get interested in POTD.
  • Options
    Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was just kind of boring, and ripped off Sunshine too much.
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    much as I've tried I can't watch the sun makers.. love Tom to bits as well but never seen parts 3 and 4 in my life :-(
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was just kind of boring, and ripped off Sunshine too much.

I have just watched 42 as part of my new series rewatch. I found it hard to follow, far too long even for the 45 min format. The characters were very one dimensional too compared to the similar episodes a year earlier impossible planet/Satan pit.
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Stolen Earth/ Journey's End (apart from the scenes with Davros who I thought was the only good thing in that two parter)

Last of the Time Lords

Army of Ghosts/Doomsday
  • Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of the 5th Doctor serials are like that for me. I don't feel strongly about them but I just find my attention drifting from them very easily. My best guess as to why that is the case is that i just don't find Peter Davison's Doctor, or his companions, to be interesting or engaging. Normally, during an average or mediocre story there is still a level of entertainment from simply watching the Doctor, because he is interesting and charismatic in his own right. I just don't really find that to be the case with Davison so there's nothing to prop up an average story really, especially as I don't particularly care for any of his companions (Tegan and Adric I find particularly irritating in fact).

With other Doctors, I have only ever watched the Sensorites in full once; all rewatch attempts have been curtailed due to waning enthusiasm. I would say most of the Chris Bidmead 4th Doctor stories probably fit the bill too. I guess I just don't like a straight down the line Doctor.

Of course, this can happen with reconstructions. There's one or two I still don't feel I've ever given a fair crack of the whip to, because I couldn't get into the reconstruction. 'The Space Pirates' is one in particular.

Also, most Daleks serials, post the Troughton era. I don't feel any of them are really bad (except the Ogrons one), I just get tired of seeing them over and over again.

There's a fair few Tenannt era episodes like that too I guess, although my tendency is to find myself disliking his weaker episodes rather than being indifferent to them. I put 'Tooth and Claw' on the other day and it was so tacky and irritating. And nothing happened at all, except being chased around by a werewolf and then having a sudden brainwave to use the telescope. So I think I'm growing to dislike his era where I used to be fairly indifferent to it.

I agree with most of what you've said about Davison's Doctor. I was watching resurrection of the daleks this week and he seemed to pant/ heavy breath every time he spoke. Guess Peter thought this was good acting portraying how urgent things were with his heavy breathing. Just annoying really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think another story which I was reluctant to mention at the beginning was Day Of The Doctor.

It was ok, not unlikeable by any means, but because of the excessive storyline strands and the fact it had been very overhyped, it just never really gelled properly as a story for me.

The Time Of the Doctor was a simpler story to follow but even that at times was a beatch to get into but that could have been down to too much drink on Xmas Day.....;-):D
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely agree with '42'. I'm surprised I didn't think to mention it originally. I think I've tried to watch it three times and I still don't know what it's about. They start running around corridors almost instantly and my attention just goes and never really comes back. I get engaged by plot, characters and themes. Action really just leaves me indifferent. An episode that is largely action based will never really get my attention. I can't even really assess this episode as I just can't engage with it on any level. Although I fumbled around the reason in my earlier post, I guess it is also why I don't find 'Tooth and Claw' interesting.

'Day of the Doctor' I actively disliked, or at least was disappointed in. Although in a forgiving way, as I do think Moffat had something of an impossible job there. The worst thing is a lazy script / production and I've no doubt Moffat gave it everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely agree with '42'. I'm surprised I didn't think to mention it originally. I think I've tried to watch it three times and I still don't know what it's about. They start running around corridors almost instantly and my attention just goes and never really comes back. I get engaged by plot, characters and themes. Action really just leaves me indifferent. An episode that is largely action based will never really get my attention. I can't even really assess this episode as I just can't engage with it on any level. Although I fumbled around the reason in my earlier post, I guess it is also why I don't find 'Tooth and Claw' interesting.

'Day of the Doctor' I actively disliked, or at least was disappointed in. Although in a forgiving way, as I do think Moffat had something of an impossible job there. The worst thing is a lazy script / production and I've no doubt Moffat gave it everything.

I agree on 42. I know I mentioned briefly at the top. For me, the stories set in space stations or ships just didn't appeal to me at all during RTD's Era. 42 is the worst of them and I never did find it that enthralling.

Though in the spirit of previous discussions I will disagree with you on Tooth and Claw. Though I agree it isn't as strong as other stories in that Series, it still has plenty of pace and excitement about it to make it a good episode and that has been sadly lacking in several stories since, mostly in Moffat's run but there were a few in Tennant's final few stories like that as well.

:)