BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    I know Sony Awards tend to be sneered at here but I believe Bacon got one for the coverage of 7/7 when he was at Capital Radio. I say this through clenched teeth as I don't care much for the Guy.

It was the Capital rather than Bacon that received the Sony Gold, Bacon was on Drivetime and a big part of the coverage at that time was focused on Londoners struggling to get home following the morning bombings rather than rolling breaking news.
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    You wouldn't believe who the Mirror are talking about in this anti male PC article about 5 live changes:-

"While the mum-of-two will enjoy not having commute from London to Salford where the show is produced , she says it was not the main factor in her decision to leave".

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/victoria-derbyshire-leaves-bbc-5live-3802035#ixzz36PwHjTll

Poll at the end of the article which currently votes as follows:-

Should the BBC have more female presenters?

YES
    40%
    NO
    60%

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/radio-5-live-presenters-richard-3792255#ixzz36PyVHNzU
  • tezenistezenis Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    here are my thoughts on it

Vic derbyshire - finally fired or off air as too depressing with people illness or benefits or other low life stuff making life more sad than its already is

shelagh forgarty- feels doesnt want to be there also being single doesnt help thing maybe once she is off air maybe she will date again also she is also as depressing as derbyshire just an extension

bacon - finally off air as cant stand him always banging on about everything america and always getting away with murder by putting feet up on desk and walls and couldn't care less and regurgitating trails and stings and repeating thing like "ah the excellent such or "the 5live or "the something" too annoying he cant do radio at all

for the new schedule should be interesting refresh but why keep peter allan why fire everyone apart form the old codger he need to retire everyone has left except him no shame at all

Very possibly one of the greatest DS posts of all time.

Hats off to Richard Bacon for being able to broadcast while having his feet on the wall. That is a good trick if you can do it.

If you have some time to spare have a look at some of brain_higgy's other posts. He (I assume it's a he) has started some rip-roaring discussions such as :-

'London set to be the hottest day of the year'

Genius
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only person who enjoys Richard Bacons show?
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God! Nolans's back.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I reading right, is UAN on from Midnight tonight?
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    It was the Capital rather than Bacon that received the Sony Gold, Bacon was on Drivetime and a big part of the coverage at that time was focused on Londoners struggling to get home following the morning bombings rather than rolling breaking news.

Which is exactly what Capital should have been doing. The rest of us were interested in the breaking news although there wasn't any by then if I remember, whereas Capital broadcast to the area it actually happened in. Their listeners had a completely different experience of the disaster and Capital reflected that.
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgbstag wrote: »
    At last 5 live has woke up to the fact that Dick Bacon makes listeners turn off/tune away. This is the really difficult spot to get right not too light not too heavy. I remember Simon Mayo dealing with 9/11 on this spot at the drop of a hat. Could never imagine Dick Bacon handling it. I welcome the changes,especially Dick and Vic.

Yes Simon Mayo was excellent in the afternoon slot on 5 live. Sadly somebody at the BBC decided that the programme needed dumbing down a role at which Richard Bacon excelled.
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Am I reading right, is UAN on from Midnight tonight?

So it is, according to the schedule. Thankfully with Andy Crane, instead of the appalling Dotun, who must be rehearsing for Glastonbury next year.

Update at midnight. Looks like the schedule is wrong. Nolan is threatening us with another hour of diatribe. Hopefully UAN will still be with Andy Crane at 0100.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't believe who the Mirror are talking about in this anti male PC article about 5 live changes:-

"While the mum-of-two will enjoy not having commute from London to Salford where the show is produced , she says it was not the main factor in her decision to leave".

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/victoria-derbyshire-leaves-bbc-5live-3802035#ixzz36PwHjTll

Poll at the end of the article which currently votes as follows:-

Should the BBC have more female presenters?

YES
    40%
    NO
    60%

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/radio-5-live-presenters-richard-3792255#ixzz36PyVHNzU

She has the skin of a rhino and the chutzpah of Eric Hall.

Unbelievable
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    instead of the appalling Dotun, who must be rehearsing for Glastonbury next year.

Yep! The burgers him and his wife sold this year where undercooked and short on onions, :)

Believe me I can milk a joke......:)
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Yes Simon Mayo was excellent in the afternoon slot on 5 live. Sadly somebody at the BBC decided that the programme needed dumbing down a role at which Richard Bacon excelled.

I thought it was that Simon did not want to go up North and with Chris Evans taking over Wogan it fell in place for Simon.

As for dumbing down, I have found that across the BBC the mid afternoon slot is often the 'celeb', show biz, book, tv promotion slot.
    Thinking Steve 'Love the Show' Wright on Radio 2, and sure my Local Radio has been/is a light fluffy before the Drivetime shows.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was that Simon did not want to go up North and with Chris Evans taking over Wogan it fell in place for Simon.

As for dumbing down, I have found that across the BBC the mid afternoon slot is often the 'celeb', show biz, book, tv promotion slot.
    Thinking Steve 'Love the Show' Wright on Radio 2, and sure my Local Radio has been/is a light fluffy before the Drivetime shows.
    Exactly. It was Mayo's decision to leave 5 Live, although basically he and all the other staff at the station, bar VD were given an ultimatum at the time of relocate to Salford or else.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it is, according to the schedule. Thankfully with Andy Crane, instead of the appalling Dotun, who must be rehearsing for Glastonbury next year.

Update at midnight. Looks like the schedule is wrong. Nolan is threatening us with another hour of diatribe. Hopefully UAN will still be with Andy Crane at 0100.

I heard that, I was gutted.

I really can't stand, or see the point in, QT:ET.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Exactly. It was Mayo's decision to leave 5 Live, although basically he and all the other staff at the station, bar VD were given an ultimatum at the time of relocate to Salford or else.

Is that ultimatum really true? If so, surely there would be an Equalities case?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite the forthcoming creative and welcomed schedule changes to Five - can Five recover out of the Slough of Despair it has sunk into?
    From this site and hearsay it would appear many people have turned their dial permanently away from Five to Lbc, Talk Sport etc. in an effort to escape the Derbyshire's Misery Hour, the Virtual Jukebox and half hearted presenters clearly turning up purely for the dollars.
    I do hope Five pulls it round. However I (and how many others) need to be weaned off the likes of Allen, Ferrari, H&J, Hartley Brewer, Bull and Harkes. There is a big danger Messers Derbyshire, Fogarty and Bacon will leave some legacy if we all are not careful...
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good girl, well said. I might even turn the dial away from LBC (and Steve Allen, as there is always his podcast) back to 5 and Rachel..

Never let it be said, Rachel does extremely well to wake up each weekday morning, clean her teeth and venture to work with the Ego. Must be hard.

Even so, likely I'll return to Ferrari at 7am though for obvious reasons.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would rather Peter Allen stayed on drive. I don't see why two presenters are required for midmornings. Tony Livesey is a good presenter for a show that isn't so news focused. They should have put him in Victoria Derbyshire's slot instead.

I don't think the afternoon show will be good. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more sports talk in the afternoon, to add to the sports talk in the evening when they'd rather talk about sport than broadcast sport.
  • petestanpetestan Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I would rather Peter Allen stayed on drive. I don't see why two presenters are required for midmornings. Tony Livesey is a good presenter for a show that isn't so news focused. They should have put him in Victoria Derbyshire's slot instead.

I don't think the afternoon show will be good. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more sports talk in the afternoon, to add to the sports talk in the evening when they'd rather talk about sport than broadcast sport.

There aren't two presenters, Mon to Wed it's Peter Allen, Thurs and Fri it's Adrian Chilles.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good girl, well said. I might even turn the dial away from LBC (and Steve Allen, as there is always his podcast) back to 5 and Rachel..

Never let it be said, Rachel does extremely well to wake up each weekday morning, clean her teeth and venture to work with the Ego. Must be hard.

Even so, likely I'll return to Ferrari at 7am though for obvious reasons.

Ferrari must be the single most odious person on British radio
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petestan wrote: »
    There aren't two presenters, Mon to Wed it's Peter Allen, Thurs and Fri it's Adrian Chilles.

Adrian is doing Mon-Tues and Peter Weds-Fri
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    Ferrari must be the single most odious person on British radio

I think you'll find Nolan holds that particular accolade....or Derbyshire for that matter....
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has the skin of a rhino and the chutzpah of Eric Hall.

Unbelievable

That's quite shocking in her total arrogance....

2 kids in primary school meant moving to Salford never an option? :confused:

Errr how do you think forces children manage Victoria? or any other "ordinary" folk who have to relocate to pay the mortgage manage....??

It's not as if they are in GCSE years then so they will easily adapt as do many other families...friends round corner just decamped from Southampton to Devon kids are loving it and settled in quite happily....

But to say she commutes? Laughable...truly laughable....so she never intended going there....hectored her boss over same thing....thinks listeners don't care where show comes from?
    Well when the show sounds amateur and disjointed and when we pay for her "commuting" yes we do care.....

If you read between the lines then maybe she was offered a new contract but one where they stated she would have to move to Salford to broadcast under new regime........so she walked which made it easy to move her on...total supposition? Sure... but it's a distinct possibility....
  • VictorianVictorian Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Am I the only person who enjoys Richard Bacons show?

No, you're not. 100% of the adults in our house (admittedly only two) like his show. I find him amusing and engaging.
This discussion has been closed.