Options

Friday Night Dinner - Series 3. C4 Fridays 10pm

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The dad and Jim are so stupid but it works in this show.

Martin's decline into a break down and Jim asking if eating the fox is part of the Jewish dinner :D
  • Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this show..and so pleased its back.

Is wilson the dog a different one?
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    It's a lovely bit of squirrel, this show. I'm so glad it is back in its Friday night time slot after the bizarre decision to put it on a Sunday night last year. Its so much fun to watch after/during a few drinks of a Friday night.

Contrary to what a previous poster said, I think Tom Rosenthal is perfect for the show - his sense of humour really suits it.

I wish they'd make each episode an hour long. Half an hour (or 22 minutes when you take out the ads) isn't long enough.

I like how something random like smashing a car window with a brick is just forgotten moments later.

I preferred last weeks episode to this weeks, but its become one of those shows where I'd enjoy it even if not much happened because I like the cast and setting. Even the incidental music is quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ppaupy wrote: »
    Love this show..and so pleased its back.

Is wilson the dog a different one?
    This is from a couple of years back
    What’s neighbour Jim’s dog Wilson like on set?
    Simon Bird:
    It’s incredibly well trained. Actually the dog that was playing Wilson died unfortunately so they’ve got a new Wilson this year. I don’t think you can tell the difference. I couldn’t tell the difference but I’m not really a dog person. All dogs look the same to me, but the new dog was just as good and trained by the same trainer.
    Actually there were lots of dogs on set this year. The police are involved at some point, and they turn up with a police dog which really freaks Jim out. Our other grandmother has a dog as well, so at times it was more like a pound than a set.
    http://www.tvchoicemagazine.co.uk/interviewextra/simon-bird-tom-rosenthal-friday-night-dinner
  • Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Thank you for finding that.:)
  • Options
    Jon1141Jon1141 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Good episode on Friday but the ending was dissapointing.
    I was waiting to see Jackies reaction when she saw the fox but no! They should of ended it with her fainted or somthing.
  • Options
    DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    I'm just watching the first episode the girlfriend and i am blown away when looking at the credits that the girlfriend wasn't Tamla Kari who played Lucy in the inbetweeners movie !

they could be twins, not just in looks, but facial expressions !
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    You can watch every episode on 4od. I would really recommend it because there are a few ongoing jokes that will make more sense when you see it from the start.

I find it great how they can get so much comedy from the sameish situation! :D

I started watching it thinking it wouldnt be as good because i liked the inbetweeners and couldnt imagine a show with the same actor being as good. But i was hooked from the start!

Cheers.......I've caught up now with both series, the Christmas special and episode 1 of this series !

It was a marathon.......:D
  • Options
    David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing I love about this is that it's the little things that make me laugh.

When Jackie was on the phone to Val and said she had a cake box and went "Of course you can borrow it!" made me laugh with the idea of Val on the other end making a big deal over borrowing a cake box, like it was so important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This new series has been the strongest yet
  • Options
    TheDevil666TheDevil666 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Morris, the chap who looked like Hitler from series 2, is in tonight's episode.

He was never slandered!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a pretty poor episode. Didn't find it amusing at all.

Hope it reverts to type next week.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been loving the new series. The actress who played the girlfriend in episode one was perfectly cast and a good match for Simon Bird. I hate it when they get together an average to good looking guy with a stunningly beautiful girl. Last night was quite funny but generally I do prefer it when it's mainly just the 4 of them in the house with the odd visitor. Can't wait for next weeks episode.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did the dad suggest hot dogs but no one from the family moan about being offered pork?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Why did the dad suggest hot dogs but no one from the family moan about being offered pork?
    Not all Jewish people follow the culture that strictly.

Plus hotdogs are not neccessarily pork. Some can be beef, turkey or chicken.

But in this case it's probably the first point that is the reason.

Adam Richman from Man v Food is Jewish but he has no problems stuffing his face with pork and bacon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this last episode but don't want to see that grumpy old man character again

Simon Bird only plays one character but plays it welll
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    Desmondp wrote: »
    I enjoyed this last episode but don't want to see that grumpy old man character again

Simon Bird only plays one character but plays it welll

No write-ups yet as to last night's episode.
    I don't like Mr Morris so was very disappointed with last week's effort.
    This weeks was a lot better except I found the Jim sleepwalking scenario very childish and I think he actually let the episode down last night.

The painting was funny as was Johnnie's tattoo reaction and the realisation that their parents still have sex.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think any episode was going to be better than last weeks.

So it was an improvement. Infact probably back to normal form.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Not all Jewish people follow the culture that strictly.

Plus hotdogs are not neccessarily pork. Some can be beef, turkey or chicken.

But in this case it's probably the first point that is the reason.

Adam Richman from Man v Food is Jewish but he has no problems stuffing his face with pork and bacon.

.....but not, er Dog? :p

I'm thinking of the small possibility of any Jewish Korean's. :D
  • Options
    Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    No write-ups yet as to last night's episode.
    I don't like Mr Morris so was very disappointed with last week's effort.
    This weeks was a lot better except I found the Jim sleepwalking scenario very childish and I think he actually let the episode down last night.

The painting was funny as was Johnnie's tattoo reaction and the realisation that their parents still have sex.

I agree I enjoyed the episode on the whole but wasn't keen on the Jim scenes and his scenes are usually my favourite part of the show.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    I personally think Jim is becoming too OTT, almost too cliche that he's almost becoming unfunny and cringy.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    I personally think Jim is becoming too OTT, almost too cliche that he's almost becoming unfunny and cringy.

I agree. Jim is only meant to be a small sub plot to the comedy, but last night the character ended up becoming the main piece, which didn't quite sit right in the context of how the series have progressed until now. Less is definitely more in comedic terms with Jim's character.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got very bored with Jim

I flick round the news channels during the Jim segment
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh God, I must be senile! Me and mr cat had real belly laughs throughout this programme including the Jim segments and kept imagining Mark Heap in his stiff upper lip roles like Lark Rise.
    I hated last week's and hope they do not bring Harry Landis back, he was disgustingly unfunny.:kitty:
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Im in the minority who loved both weeks! Laughed so much at sleepwalking jim. Usually i find his parts the worst but this was great. I think it was more everyones reaction to him that his actual part though. The subtle, and not so subtle facial expressions of the family were funny.

My only gripe with last week was that i knew who mr morris was but it had been a while since i had seen the first ep with him in that some of it went over my head. I really enjoyed it though. A fee days after i watched the first mr morris ep and was laughing again so i think i might rewatch this second one, with it still fresh in my mind.

All i could remember of him was he was old and horrible, i had forgotten about his driving, the rival button company, him stripping down to fight, the competitiveness and his general rudeness.