Options

Rolf Lassgard Wallander

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Hardly staggering, one is on BBC1 at 9 pm the other is on BBC4 at 9 pm. If they had gone a bit mad and screen the Swedish version the BBC duty officer would have had a very busy evening. It easy to get on ones high horse about the aversion to sub-titling but most people are a bit lazy and like to "watch" tv when not paying proper attention, titling forces one to give 100% to a programme.

It’s the text generation. The young uns spend all day every day reading messages on-screens of various sizes so the luddite ways of their parents should be extinct in this generation. Regardless, my point stands - We’ve no right to sneer at the Yanks if we snub foreign originals in favour of anodyne copies.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jono t wrote: »
    The woman who worked with tynne falk, in Firewall, was she the woman that Kurt (played by Henrikson) had a brief affair with last year.I think she was a doctor.
    I think you might be correct. I wondered where I recognised her from, perhaps that's where.

K
  • Options
    DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    I think you might be correct. I wondered where I recognised her from, perhaps that's where.

K

I think she is Henrikson's wife in real life.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jono t wrote: »
    The woman who worked with tynne falk, in Firewall, was she the woman that Kurt (played by Henrikson) had a brief affair with last year.I think she was a doctor.
    KennyT wrote: »

K
    DBC wrote: »
    I think she is Henrikson's wife in real life.

Is this her ??

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WkKZJVG5wTk/SWGRWDlK2CI/AAAAAAABo9Y/3vVSXc9o22o/s1600-h/Mankell-Wallander-07-Den_svaga_punkten_2.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0632184/
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    allie4 wrote: »
    Wonderfully interesting docu before Wallander this evening.
    And watching this version of Firewall I'm struck by how much more suspenseful it is than the KB version! (sorry, shouldn't have mentioned the B word!) I think it's partly because the Swedes don't make the mistake of concentrating too much on Wallander and all his woes.

It was excellent crime drama and I want more! It was full of suspense and tension between the different characters.

Indeed, I dropped BBC4 a line asking if all the other seven Rolf Lassgård Wallander episodes could be broadcast and if I get a meaningful response I shall post it up.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is my fave Wallander, TBH. Only slightly sullied by the boring romances, could do without.

The main man is brilliant though, and the scripts are sharper and have done really interesting things with the source material, not a straight copy, but keeping enough of it to ring true, as Mankells character.

It was nice to see the Lisbeth ((cough)) homage as well. Really hope they do decide to show them all now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    It was excellent crime drama and I want more! It was full of suspense and tension between the different characters.

Indeed, I dropped BBC4 a line asking if all the other seven Rolf Lassgård Wallander episodes could be broadcast and if I get a meaningful response I shall post it up.

Yes, I am really enjoying these as well! great stuff.....

the Swedish crime documentary was also of interest, and I have ordered the first 2 Martin Beck crime books(by Per Wahloo) on the strength of it.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, was a fascinating documentary, have read a few Scandanavian authors other then Steig and Henning, and they've never really floated my boat. Yet I've now made a list for when I next wonder into the library.

Found it ironic though how they said we didn't understand all the different types of snow, we're learning:(
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoyed my Wallander marathon last night even if the plot points were familiar and despite the fact that Lassgard reminded me of Bubbles de Vere when he was in the shower. Very keen to see the rest now and can only sympathise with Rolf that Krister took "his" gig. Anyone know the story behind that? Did he not want to do more or was he not asked?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Thoroughly enjoyed my Wallander marathon last night even if the plot points were familiar and despite the fact that Lassgard reminded me of Bubbles de Vere when he was in the shower. Very keen to see the rest now and can only sympathise with Rolf that Krister took "his" gig. Anyone know the story behind that? Did he not want to do more or was he not asked?

The Lassgård and Henriksson Wallanders were made by different production companies so it's not surprising that had different Kurts as Yellowbird who made the second version would want to put their own stamp on the character
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    "Gomorrah" Wednesday @10.00 BBC4 a real blast of harsh reality apparently. set in Naples about the Italian mob.......
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eddieo wrote: »
    "Gomorrah" Wednesday @10.00 BBC4 a real blast of harsh reality apparently. set in Naples about the Italian mob.......

Can't wait :eek:

I watched Firewall last night, having put it off because Lassgård* is not my cup of Special Blend tea. The fact that I didn't change my mind about him (I don't take to his appearance or his interpretation of Wallander's character), yet still thoroughly enjoyed the drama, shows how superior these Swedish productions are. IMO, of course.

*C&P'd so's not to offend - I can't do embellishments for toffee ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    parthena wrote: »
    Can't wait :eek:

I watched Firewall last night, having put it off because Lassgård* is not my cup of Special Blend tea. The fact that I didn't change my mind about him (I don't take to his appearance or his interpretation of Wallander's character), yet still thoroughly enjoyed the drama, shows how superior these Swedish productions are. IMO, of course.

Same here :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...at 9pm this very evening on BBC4 so we can look forward to some excellent crime drama. So far it's only been the Wallander dramas and Ian Rankin's Reichenbach Falls (he even made a cameo appearance) that I've really enjoyed during this holiday period.

Anyway, tonight's episode is Steget efter/One Step Behind which features a triple murder and I won't spoil the rest. Happy Viewing! :)
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Character map is not that hard, if you're using Windows :p
  • Options
    GlastonGlaston Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With watching this latest incarnation of Wallander my only thought was
    "what happened to all the good looking Swedish women?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glaston wrote: »
    With watching this latest incarnation of Wallander my only thought was
    "what happened to all the good looking Swedish women?"

I thought the fake Diabetes nurse looked alright
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...at 9pm this very evening on BBC4 so we can look forward to some excellent crime drama. So far it's only been the Wallander dramas and Ian Rankin's Reichenbach Falls (he even made a cameo appearance) that I've really enjoyed during this holiday period.

Anyway, tonight's episode is Steget efter/One Step Behind which features a triple murder and I won't spoil the rest. Happy Viewing! :)

Thanks for that.

I'll be watching, looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I'll be watching, looking forward to it.

At your service, Scotch. Looking though the Radio Times, it seems to be the best thing on TV tonight!
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's one of the "made for cinema" films, which I assume it is, how come it is so much shorter than last week's which had to be shown in two parts?
  • Options
    sturnussturnus Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I think this is my fave Wallander, TBH. Only slightly sullied by the boring romances, could do without.

The main man is brilliant though, and the scripts are sharper and have done really interesting things with the source material, not a straight copy, but keeping enough of it to ring true, as Mankells character.

I agree, I have been really delighted with the Lassgård versions. I find the characters are very well drawn, in particular Kurt himself - full of passion, intuition. and energy. I was completely gripped last night when watching the Svedberg story. Even though I knew what was going to happen and who the murderer was, I was still on the edge of my seat.
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sturnus wrote: »
    I agree, I have been really delighted with the Lassgård versions. I find the characters are very well drawn, in particular Kurt himself - full of passion, intuition. and energy. I was completely gripped last night when watching the Svedberg story. Even though I knew what was going to happen and who the murderer was, I was still on the edge of my seat.
    One Step Behind is probably my favourite Wallander story.
    Funnily enough the English version was closer to the book. That didn't matter - this version was so chock full of suspense but there was the added mystery of the 'woman' in Svedberg's life in the book.. who turned out to be the murderer. They also made more of a drama of the ending last night. Lassgard is v good as Wallander but I now have - I think it was Straker's take - a vision of Bubbles de Vere as well! I don't warm to him as much as I do to KH.
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    I don't warm to [Lassgard] as much as I do to KH.

Neither do I. He's a more irrational and juvenile personality altogether, I'd like to see something to warrant the respect in which he is held.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither do I. He's a more irrational and juvenile personality altogether, I'd like to see something to warrant the respect in which he is held.

Horses for courses, isn't it, I thiink I'm enjoying the more emotional portrayal, I certainly feel physically he's closer to the Wallander in the books. I'm also enjoying the subtle ways they change the plots, but keep to the basic framework. Enjoying it a lot.

Yet I've enjoyed them all in different ways, I'd be interested to see Lennart Jähkel's take on it even, even though that may be a Kurt too far.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying RL's portrayal (not as much as KHs of course) but wondered if someone who has read the books could fill in some gaps. In the English version, Kurt's father appears to play an important part in providing some reason for Kurt's "angst". Does he appear in the books? If so, why doesn't he appear in the RL versions? (Or does he turn up in later episodes?). I don't think there's even been a passing comment, at least in KH's version he mentioned his father once IIRC.

K