Rest easy everyone.........................

2»

Comments

• PhoebidasPhoebidas Posts: 3,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that mean Gordon Brown isn't the MP for Kirkcaldy anymore ?

Scotland has MPs at Westminster and MSPs at Holyrood.

Kirkcaldy has a Labour MP and now a SNP MSP. :)
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He might as well not be GM, when you look at his performance in Parliament since the GE;

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/gordon_brown/kirkcaldy_and_cowdenbeath#hansard

But that isn't his full record.

This is...

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/search/?pid=10068&pop=1#n4

....and actually it doesn't appear to be such a bad performance.
  • GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airam wrote: »
    " He is a highly respected politician"

It made no difference on May 7th when the Kirkcaldy seat fell to the SNP and gave them the magic 65 seats for a majority!

LOL Exactly my immediate thought. Gordon will be pleased to know the English party have so much faith in him, even if the Scottish electorate don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoebidas wrote: »
    Scotland has MPs at Westminster and MSPs at Holyrood.

Kirkcaldy has a Labour MP and now a SNP MSP. :)

So if Scotland had it's own Parliament the SNP would form the Scottish Government ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if Scotland had it's own Parliament the SNP would form the Scottish Government ?

It does and it has.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Scotland does have its own parliament at Holyrood but it is restricted in what it can legislate on by devolution. Some issues such as defence and welfare are what is called reserved, meaning they are decided by Westminster.

This is why we have the MPs at Westminster to represent Scottish interests at Westminster on the devolved issue. The unionist parties still 'whip' their Scottish MPs on England only issues, as they are allowed to do so but some see this as abuse of the system. The SNP MPs do not vote on English only issues at Westminster.

If the people of Scotland do vote for independence then all Scottish matters would be settled at Holyrood and there would be no Scottish representation at Westminster.

So after my waffle :D yes, the next Scottish parliament will be run by the SNP. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geeg wrote: »
    It does and it has.

Sorry I haven't made myself clear, I meant if Scotland was on it's own would the SNP be the Government ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotland does have its own parliament at Holyrood but it is restricted in what it can legislate on by devolution. Some issues such as defence and welfare are what is called reserved, meaning they are decided by Westminster.

This is why we have the MPs at Westminster to represent Scottish interests at Westminster on the devolved issue. The unionist parties still 'whip' their Scottish MPs on England only issues, as they are allowed to do so but some see this as abuse of the system. The SNP MPs do not vote on English only issues at Westminster.

If the people of Scotland do vote for independence then all Scottish matters would be settled at Holyrood and there would be no Scottish representation at Westminster.

So after my waffle :D yes, the next Scottish parliament will be run by the SNP. :)

lol I should have read your reply before I posted my own :D

Personally I've always thought that Scotland and the Scottish people should have it's own Parliament if that's what they want.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol I should have read your reply before I posted my own :D

Personally I've always thought that Scotland and the Scottish people should have it's own Parliament if that's what they want.

I have to agree. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    Believe it or not some people up here still believe he was a good Chancellor. Selective memories i think!

Nevertheless, i do agree is still a well respect individual in Scotland and with the lack of talent in Scottish Labour at the moment they will need his help.

I wonder if an Labour MSP will step down sometime in the future so that Gordon Brown could get into the Scottish Parliament through a by-election.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kevo88 wrote: »
    Believe it or not some people up here still believe he was a good Chancellor. Selective memories i think!

Nevertheless, i do agree is still a well respect individual in Scotland and with the lack of talent in Scottish Labour at the moment they will need his help.

I wonder if an Labour MSP will step down sometime in the future so that Gordon Brown could get into the Scottish Parliament through a by-election.

Where would he stand?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm probably stating the obvious but that would depend on whether he wanted to continue in politics or not surely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I haven't made myself clear, I meant if Scotland was on it's own would the SNP be the Government ?

Ahh sorry gummy, I misunderstood.

Like any country, Scotland would have elections and different parties would form Governments at different times.

eg Since devolution Scotland has had a two term Labour/Lib Dem coalition Government, and is entering the second term of an SNP Government.

One thing to observe is that the Tories are actually called "The Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party" - so they'd need to rethink their name and their views. It would be nice for Scotland to have a right of centre credible party. After all - up until Thatcher, Scotland traditionally voted Conservative in large numbers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    Where would he stand?

Some place in the central belt as it's the only place left with Labour MSPs?

Although i don't know what happens when a list MSP stands down. Is there a by-election or are they just replaced?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although i don't know what happens when a list MSP stands down. Is there a by-election or are they just replaced?

As far as I am aware they are just replaced, but I am not 100% on that. :)

It would be a risk to put up a constituency seat as he is not universally popular in the central belt, even among Labour supporters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My understanding is they are replaced by the next person down on that parties List as it stood at the previous election.

eg Those on the List at the moment not elected on Thursday may become an MSP at some point over the next 5 years.

So Brown could only stand as an MSP in 2016 at the very earliest.