Am I Right to be upset by this?

rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
Forum Member
Quite angry about this so just need to vent sorry. Just found out that my mother has taken it upon herself to tell my daughter that the Easter bunny isn't real. I was telling her how its my job to make these kinds of decisions to tell her things like that but it was going in one ear and out the other. She is only 6. Am I right to be annoyed by this?

Comments

• Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite angry about this so just need to vent sorry. Just found out that my mother has taken it upon herself to tell my daughter that the Easter bunny isn't real. I was telling her how its my job to make thise kinds of decisions to tlel ehe things like that but it was going in one ear and out the other. She is only 6. Am I right to be annoyed by this?

Yes you are, I would be! Unless your daughter is 26 of course! ;)
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`d be pissed off about it but i wouldn`t tackle it in front of your girl.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For whatever my opinion is worth, I think you are absolutely right to be annoyed by this. As you say, it's your job to tell her these things when you feel she's ready.

I wouldn't dream of telling my two nephews anything of the sort.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    grand parents seem to do what they want
    and not care how it upsets their grand child and parent of the child
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This must be a new thing because my kids didn't even know it existed because I don't believe in it myself .... the only bunnies we had in our house lived in a hutch in the garden :)
    Forum Member
    shmisk wrote: »

this one doesn`t.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We did have the tooth fairy but my daughter soon realised who that was :D
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member

Thats a huge generalistion .No grandparent I know does anything like this

OP Yes , I would be annoyed .It wasnt her place .But find out first how it came about and why she did .
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you believe in the Easter bunny at her age.

Grandmothers overstep the mark all the time. You need to have a calm word with your mum so that she knows you would prefer that she didn't take it on herself in future to tell your daughter this sort of thing.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Thats a huge generalistion .No grandparent I know does anything like this

OP Yes , I would be annoyed .It wasnt her place .But find out first how it came about and why she did .

I already did, she said she told her because it's babyish and she shouldn't believe in it at 6 years old. So she knew exactly what she was doing.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I already did, she said she told her because it's babyish and she shouldn't believe in it at 6 years old. So she knew exactly what she was doing.
    Well then I would be extremely annoyed . It wasnt her place at all .
    Forum Member
    Did you believe in the Easter bunny at her age.

Grandmothers overstep the mark all the time. You need to have a calm word with your mum so that she knows you would prefer that she didn't take it on herself in future to tell your daughter this sort of thing.

I was about 9 or ten when I stopped beliving. But it wasn't my mum that told me it was the teacher from the school. I have already spoken to her on the matter but she couldn't see that she had said anything wrong so it was falling on deaf ears really.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora 9 wrote: »
    This must be a new thing
    Not really :)
    It was first mentioned in Georg Franck von Frankenau's De ovis paschalibus (About Easter Eggs) in 1682 referring to an Alsace tradition of an Easter Hare bringing Easter Eggs.
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Bunny
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »

I was taught by my Mother that giving Easter Eggs represented the stone which blocked Jesus's tomb .... I haven't really looked into to it because I am not at all religious if I am being honest.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be livid OP. If your mum felt your daughter was too old to believe, she should have spoken to you about it, not her.
    Anyway, what is the harm in letting kids be kids? It's a sweet thing to believe in and kids grow up all too fast nowdays
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just googled and it means Jesus's empty tomb and the beginning of new life. I should know this because I was made to go to Sunday School when I was a child :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Now I'm being made out to be the bad guy cos I've questioned it.
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're not. It is completely out of order. It may seem trivial to her, but if so, why say anything.
    It is absolutely your choice when to reveal such things to your child. She has basically undermined you as a parent by taking away your ability to decide when your child should have a milestone of growing up. Maybe a small, silly one, but the principle is the same.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume it'll be the Santa myth being exposed next?
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are kids generally told that the Easter Bunny is real? I can't remember anyone doing that when I was young - not in the same way as the Santa story anyway. I certainly wouldn't expect adults to know they were expected to keep up the fiction when talking to other people's children.

I was told that the egg represented the boulder in front of Jesus' tomb, in which case bringing a rabbit into the story kinda confuses things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member

Wouldn't say all grandparents but my mother fits this catergory perfectly and its only the tip of the iceberg with her!!

She outed the tooth fairy to my daughter and left her in floods of tears :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    this one doesn`t.:p

Will you adopt me please! :D
    Forum Member
    Now I'm being made out to be the bad guy cos I've questioned it.

by who?
    Forum Member
    kazzlouise wrote: »
    Will you adopt me please! :D

how big`s your inheritance?
    Forum Member
    by who?

By my mother