What's the point of Matt Smith's nudity in the Christmas episode?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
Forum Member
I saw a couple of screencaps from the Christmas episode released on tumblr. Those screencaps being Matt Smith 'almost' naked. I say 'almost', because I'm certain there was something covering his 'you-know-what', since this is a family show, after all.

Could someone please enlighten me to the point in his nudity? In my opinion, it's very unnecessary and cheapens the episode...

Comments

• fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would you like people to guess now, or let you know what they think after they've actually seen the episode?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    To ensure a later time slot. ;-)
    Mclahey wrote: »
    Could someone please enlighten me to the point in his nudity? In my opinion, it's very unnecessary and cheapens the episode...
    How do you know? You haven't seen it.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The outrage! The filth! The fury!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Would you like people to guess now, or let you know what they think after they've actually seen the episode?

I was just wondering if anyone had an idea to whether there was a point on behind him being naked or not. I have only been watching the show for a while, so, as dumb as it sounds, I was asking if it's been some kind of tradition beforehand, and if there's a reason for it. Since I don't think there is, it comes off as really unnecessary to me.

Was just wondering if anyone could prove me wrong. Sorry for my idiocy lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Disgusting. His nipples offend me.
    Forum Member
    mboon wrote: »
    To ensure a later time slot. ;-)

How do you know? You haven't seen it.

No. I haven't. That's the point on my question. I was asking if anyone knew whether there was a reason to why he should be or not. Because if there isn't, from my personal opinion, I think it's a very unnecessary way of giving viewers eye-candy. Which comes off as cheap to me.
    Forum Member
    Disgusting. His nipples offend me.

Lol. I wasn't saying nudity is cheap. I was asking if there was a reason for it. Because, nudity in shows for the sake of eye candy and no valuable reason is what comes off as cheap to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    This might sound odd but in one scene Matt is naked because he is going to a church in the sky where you are expected not to go clothed

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-matt-smith-gets-2941890

Forum Member
    This might sound odd but in one scene Matt is naked because he is going to a church in the sky where you are expected not to go clothed

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-matt-smith-gets-2941890

Thank you. Does still sound slightly odd to me. But suppose I will have to wait for the episode before I pass my judgement on it. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I'm not complaining.:D
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I'm not complaining.:D

Me neither.:D
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    It's a body...we all have them, amazing isn't it! (I won't comment on individual definitions of 'amazing' :p )

It's a Christmas special and is going to have the odd laugh or too along the way...we've seen a near-naked Smith in The Lodger already and Tennant in The Stolen Earth. Relatively small parts of the plot, all approached in a light-hearted and comical way.

Nothing worth making a big deal out of...you'd thing people had never seen an actor without a top on before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing comedy for the first 15 minutes, action for the next 35, and tragedy in the final 10.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's disgusting. I'm absolutely outraged. I'm going to set up a petition and get enough signatures to have it discussed in Parliament. Of course, it doesn't matter that I haven't seen it in context, I'm going to vent my spleen now. You'd never get this in the Classic series....

Oh, wait - what about Jon Pertwee in the shower in Spearhead In Space? In 1970. I think we best campaign to get that DVD banned, too...
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a couple of screencaps from the Christmas episode released on tumblr. Those screencaps being Matt Smith 'almost' naked. I say 'almost', because I'm certain there was something covering his 'you-know-what', since this is a family show, after all.

Surely the reason is obvious. Matt and Moff have been reading our forums and clearly wanted to skew the votes on 'lady_xanax' most attractive doctor thread :)

Seriously though Mclahey. Welcome to the world of Doctor Who, and trust me we're all having fun, this forum looks forward to more postings from you. As has been mentioned, other Doctors have been naked, Pertwee, et al, theoretically McGann to some extent once he broke out of the freezer. Its sometimes just the right thing in a scene.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    In the Daily Mail shot, Clara is pointing at something.

My source in the industry tells me that the line for this scene is "OMG, why didn't you tell me you had two of those as well!"
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume it's for the scene where the Doctor is sent back from the future by more primitive technology and says "I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Surely the reason is obvious. Matt and Moff have been reading our forums and clearly wanted to skew the votes on 'lady_xanax' most attractive doctor thread :)

Seriously though Mclahey. Welcome to the world of Doctor Who, and trust me we're all having fun, this forum looks forward to more postings from you. As has been mentioned, other Doctors have been naked, Pertwee, et al, theoretically McGann to some extent once he broke out of the freezer. Its sometimes just the right thing in a scene.

Perhaps speak for yourself eh? :D

Just my personal opinion but I don't think the forum needs manufactured outrage threads and judgments on things that haven't even appeared on screen yet.
    Forum Member

Just my personal opinion but I don't think the forum needs manufactured outrage threads and judgments on things that haven't even appeared on screen yet.

I think you've misunderstood. I'm not outraged. Nudity in scenes that bare no effect to the plot just don't fit into my personal taste. So, I was asking if there was a reason behind it. Lord Melbury & The_Judge_ gave me two reasonable responses to why.

I'm not outraged. I just wanted to know the motive behind the scene(s). I also understand that it fits into the comedic aspect of the show.

Too many people have misunderstood my thread... I'm not trying to ban nudity. I was just reaching out for an answer that argued against it being "eye candy for viewers".

I would have posted the same thread had it been one of his companions instead of him.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

It's "something for the Mums". ;)

Mind you, I woudn't mind some JLC nudity as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But surely you could've waited to see the episode and then ask the question. How is anyone on here supposed to offer a decent answer? Unless they were lucky enough to be at the BFI. Which is cheating.

And you seem to have drawn conclusions already saying 'it cheapens the episode'. And yet you seem aware its likely to be for comedic value. So in a sense you've answered your own question.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol, just trying to give the benefit of the doubt to the OP :D I say we all post nude pics of ourselves to find out if nudity can cheapen this forum ;) one moment peeps

Damn my camera just broke :confused::p

Ps Mcalhey, your OP was written in a sort of critical way without seeing the episode, so saladfingers has fair play to have a go really. Right bring on Christmas ;)
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Is the OP related to Mary Whitehouse at all? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    I saw a couple of screencaps from the Christmas episode released on tumblr...

LOL, where else would they be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Lol, just trying to give the benefit of the doubt to the OP :D I say we all post nude pics of ourselves to find out if nudity can cheapen this forum ;) one moment peeps

Damn my camera just broke :confused::p

Ps Mcalhey, your OP was written in a sort of critical way without seeing the episode, so saladfingers has fair play to have a go really. Right bring on Christmas ;)

I'm game if you are!

But really. I don't mean to have a go at the OP and don't want to sound needlessly argumentative. I just think its best not to prejudge things until we have watched the episode. In the same way as some people have gotten terribly upset about the Doctor giving Claras backside a light tap which is insane I don't see the point in second guessing the whys and wherefores of naked Matt Smith. One things for sure is that it won't be titillation. Its most likely some Carry On slapstick. Which personally I can do without. But I will wait and see before passing judgment. Based on clips and Moffats own comments it seems the special will be a mixture of comedy, action and tragedy as Grisonaut sagely pointed out up thread. Which will be quite fitting for Elevens era.