Worried my 7 year old lab/cockerspan Dog has cancer

biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
Forum Member
My dog has been straining to go number 2 for a few days now he only gets out little bits hes constantly trying to go that happened 2 or 3 weeks ago the vet took him in and he was blocked with poo NO OBJECTS OR NOTHING THERE JUST POO she cleared him out and gave me medicine she was concerned about a bump inside his you know where;-) and said she would check it again in couple of weeks

he was kinda ok there for a while but its now back to how it was with a lot of straining and now also getting sick bringing up his food so today brought him back to the vet she felt the bump again and now wants a biopsy done i asked her could it be cancer she said it could be but we dont know after that i just started crying really she was saying stuff but i couldt really take it all in

she said something like we can do this biopsy and it might not tell us anything either

since its inside his you know where would it be hard to remove it

probley silly question but I don't know what to be asking LOL
im preparing for the worst now in my mind:cry:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Oh no, so sorry to hear your dog is unwell. You could add some olive oil to his food to make his faeces softer consequently making it easier for him to pass the faeces? Just a tea spoon full should be sufficient. A biopsy would determine whether it's a malignant tumour or not but as the vet said it would be difficult to remove, removal may cause trauma to his rectum causing faecal incontinence. Has he had some pain relief?
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Oh no, so sorry to hear your dog is unwell. You could add some olive oil to his food to make his faeces softer consequently making it easier for him to pass the faeces? Just a tea spoon full should be sufficient. A biopsy would determine whether it's a malignant tumour or not but as the vet said it would be difficult to remove, removal may cause trauma to his rectum causing faecal incontinence. Has he had some pain relief?

no she said hes not in any pain
    i would have asked her more but i was to busy:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    That's alright then, at least you know he's not in pain. Poor little man. Bet it was such a shock for you. Big hugs!
    Forum Member
    kinda more worried now

he keeps getting sick bringing up yellow liquid and has not eaten at all now since returning from the vets

what else can i do since the biopsy is not till friday:(
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could there be a problem with his teeth making it uncomfortable for him to eat? That aside...

Take him back to the vet. If he's not eating then you could try syringing mushy recovery-type food into his mouth with a big, plastic syringe. The vet will advise. The thing is, you (and your vet) don't know yet whether whatever is wrong will need an operation. If your dog goes downhill (not eating... or drinking?) and needs an op, the success of the op may be compromised by his general health having deteriorated.

In the same situation as you (and I was, last January including frothy, yellow-ish vomit) I'd ask for a barium-meal type of test this week with accompanying xrays, scans, whatever. This can show up tumours that an examination won't. Our dog had a tumour at the exit of the stomach and this eventually prevented him digesting any food that he would eat or we syringed in; the vet was unable to identify this problem until the barium meal scans clearly showed the tumour.

Hope that all goes well for you but definitely take him back - or at least talk - to the vet today. If you feel you will be too upset to take in what the vet is saying, take someone with you, ideally another experienced dog owner, who can listen and ask the obvious questions and tell you clearly afterwards what has been said.
    Forum Member
    thanks for the replys

brought him back to the vets today they done the tests on him in another clinic out of my area but its the same name clinic they had all his history there

he has the tumor inside his anus area and they said there was a cyst on the actual tumor itself which made the pooing hard for him to do so they drained it and now have to wait for the results in a few days

they gave me tablets metacam I think there called but i cant get him to eat hopefully he will eat something tomorrow
    it says on the packet do not give if not eating
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »
    Could there be a problem with his teeth making it uncomfortable for him to eat? That aside...

Take him back to the vet. If he's not eating then you could try syringing mushy recovery-type food into his mouth with a big, plastic syringe. The vet will advise. The thing is, you (and your vet) don't know yet whether whatever is wrong will need an operation. If your dog goes downhill (not eating... or drinking?) and needs an op, the success of the op may be compromised by his general health having deteriorated.

In the same situation as you (and I was, last January including frothy, yellow-ish vomit) I'd ask for a barium-meal type of test this week with accompanying xrays, scans, whatever. This can show up tumours that an examination won't. Our dog had a tumour at the exit of the stomach and this eventually prevented him digesting any food that he would eat or we syringed in; the vet was unable to identify this problem until the barium meal scans clearly showed the tumour.

Hope that all goes well for you but definitely take him back - or at least talk - to the vet today. If you feel you will be too upset to take in what the vet is saying, take someone with you, ideally another experienced dog owner, who can listen and ask the obvious questions and tell you clearly afterwards what has been said.

sorry to hear about your dog its a horrible situation to be in

how is your dog now???
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had to have him (Peppa) put to sleep. His health had deteriorated over several weeks - the vet found other good reasons for his reluctance to eat over that time and each had been treated but the real problem - the tumour - was the last thing to be identified and too late.

But, sadly, these things happen - I unexpectedly lost (had put to sleep) a dearly loved cat yesterday morning - and it's the downside of giving love to animals that (usually) outlive us. The joy of having them far outweighs the eventual sadness, though.

However, this thread is about your dog and his difficulties - now that the cyst / tumour has been temporarily treated, is your dog eating again? If not, search this forum (keyword: Peppa) and you'll find a thread from last year with plenty of suggestions as to what to offer to tempt a dog to start eating again.

Best wishes and hope all goes well for you.
    Forum Member
    We had to have him (Peppa) put to sleep. His health had deteriorated over several weeks - the vet found other good reasons for his reluctance to eat over that time and each had been treated but the real problem - the tumour - was the last thing to be identified and too late.

But, sadly, these things happen - I unexpectedly lost (had put to sleep) a dearly loved cat yesterday morning - and it's the downside of giving love to animals that (usually) outlive us. The joy of having them far outweighs the eventual sadness, though.

However, this thread is about your dog and his difficulties - now that the cyst / tumour has been temporarily treated, is your dog eating again? If not, search this forum (keyword: Peppa) and you'll find a thread from last year with plenty of suggestions as to what to offer to tempt a dog to start eating again.

aww thats so sad :(sorry to hear that I really am
    Forum Member
    hes a bit more active today but still not eating I tried

ham
    chicken
    dog treats
    dog food
    chicken soup
    pudding

still nothing he just had a small bit of sliced ham and water
    the vet said not to worry about the metacam tablets and just try get him to eat again
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »
    hes a bit more active today but still not eating I tried

ham
    chicken
    dog treats
    dog food
    chicken soup
    pudding

still nothing he just had a small bit of sliced ham and water
    the vet said not to worry about the metacam tablets and just try get him to eat again

Try a wee drop Tuna. If you heat things up a wee bit in the micro it might help persuade him to eat. Good luck.
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So sorry to hear about your cat. It is really lovely that you are trying to help another fm even although you are grieving your own wee pet just now. x
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dog has a liver condition which causes lack of appetite. I tread a fine line. Not eating enough will kill her but eating the wrong things (the only things she is remotely interested in nat) will also kill her. There are certain foods I absolutely cannot give her - ie most red meat and things like sardines and liver - which previously I might have used to make food more tasty. Also she will no longer touch home cooked chicken or anything with it in.
    Fortunately her appetite seems to be picking up but we have gone through the following:
    Using a syringe - none of the syringes have been big enough. You have to really, really liquidise food and it was an hours long job trying to feed her this way. The recommended turkey baster didn't work either.
    Warming food up for an enticing aroma
    Cooling it down if the aroma was making her nauseous
    Chasing food across the floor and pretending to want to eat it myself :o
    Watering down and warming up nasty canned food to coat a healthier option and make it more appetising (I tried all the permitted flavour enhancers and none worked).
    Making dog treats from online recipes - like 'salmon bites' - basically flour, egg and a bit of salmon baked into cookies. At least you know what's in them.
    Ultimately the best tactic has been having a variety of foods in the fridge as I find what works at one time of day won't work another time.
    Also several small meals a day after an outing in the fresh air.
    You can get meds to stimulate their appetite but this was a last resort for us. Her appetite is improving daily anyway. B complex might also help and vets sometimes give a B shot for this purpose.
    Ironically people comment on how well my dog looks. Her 'menu' these days is better than mine! >:(

That said, I have ordered a supply of frozen green tripe which you feed raw. It's supposed to both irresistible and nutritious! I think I'll pass :D