Pre-wedding tradition, a "doing"

dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Where I live (Tyrone) it is quite common for engaged couples to get what is called a "doing" shortly before the wedding. Their "friends" tie them up, put them in the back of a trailer covered in gunge and drive them around in a convoy with all horns blaring. I've never seen it depicted on screen or mentioned elsewhere so is it just a local thing or does it happen in other parts of the country?

Comments

• Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I honestly have never heard of it before. It sounds positively horrendous!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let me guess, it's one of those "fun" and "crazy" farces dreamt up by "I'm mad, me" types of people?

I can't think of anything worse!!!
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Where I live (Tyrone) it is quite common for engaged couples to get what is called a "doing" shortly before the wedding. Their "friends" tie them up, put them in the back of a trailer covered in gunge and drive them around in a convoy with all horns blaring. I've never seen it depicted on screen or mentioned elsewhere so is it just a local thing or does it happen in other parts of the country?

Sounds not dissimilar to 'banging out' ceremony for apprentice printers, not seen much these days but was common around Fleet St, apprentices would be stripped covered in ink and grunge and wheeled around the streets on the last day of their apprenticeship.
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    happened to my sisters boyfriend there last week funnily enough. In Derry.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like something you'd see on Big Fat Gypsy Weddings :o
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I was in a pizza restaurant one evening, we sat by the large glass window that overlooks the street.
    Our food arrived almost at the same time as a naked man, covered in gunk, who was forcibly pushed by his mates , full frontal, onto the out side of the window.
    My g/f at the time never ate pizza again.....
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    Yuck. Some customs need to die out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of that....
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Is it just an Irish tradition?

I thought hen and stag parties were bad enough.

If I ever get married, I promise I will not be seen tottering around Blackpool in a union jack bikini and glittery Stetson, swigging from a bottle of Malibu, the day before.
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that with the usual pronunciation, or does it rhyme with "boing"?
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it sounds more redneck than orange
  • Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just an Irish tradition?

I thought hen and stag parties were bad enough.

If I ever get married, I promise I will not be seen tottering around Blackpool in a union jack bikini and glittery Stetson, swigging from a bottle of Malibu, the day before.

Can you guarantee the same for your bride-to-be, though?
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member

Where I live - Mullingar - I've never heard of this. Used to live in Maynooth/Celbridge and Dublin, and still never heard of this. Must be a Tyrone thing!
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Back in the 70s they did this type of thing in the factory I worked in. They used engineering blue too which was a nightmare to wash off straightaway :(
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Can you guarantee the same for your bride-to-be, though?
    If I were gay, and marrying another girl, I'd hope I'd be with someone who didn't drink Malibu. Not straight from the bottle anyway.
    Union Jack bikinis and stetsons are fine though, as is Blackpool.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, just usual pronunciation.

It's always been quite common locally, I assumed it happened to most couples and it's only recently occurred to me that it might just be a local custom. That said the Print Apprenticeship "banging out" ceremony mentioned earlier in the thread does sound very similar.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D My friend is getting married on Saturday week and we are contemplating doing that this weekend.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do-ing
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The Scots have a similar tradition called a 'blackening'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy9jPJeHWMQ
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I live (Tyrone) it is quite common for engaged couples to get what is called a "doing" shortly before the wedding. Their "friends" tie them up, put them in the back of a trailer covered in gunge and drive them around in a convoy with all horns blaring.

Gawd almighty. Only a few steps removed from the ducking stool and 'there be dragons'.

I guess a few celebratory drinks and a nice meal just doesn't do it for some people..:o

Ditto the 'blackening'...what a bunch of pervy saddos.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Gawd almighty. Only a few steps removed from the ducking stool and 'there be dragons'.

I guess a few celebratory drinks and a nice meal just doesn't do it for some people..:o

It all sounds sad and pathetic to me, agreed.
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in Ballymena and Ive headr of it - but thankfully it seems to be dying out more now, I rarely see the results these days, whereas about 10 years ago, it was a regular occurance.

The ones I have seen generally involve people being tied to/in a traile, covered in various things such as flour, eggs, shaving foam, ketchup etc, and then paraded around the town..

Maybe it's just a Northern Ireland thing then...
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    darkisland wrote: »

BIB ...and your problem with this is? ;-)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a similar tradition in some parts of the U.S. and it was recognised as an Irish thing. I can't remember what it's called. Shivaree? I need to Google.

Edited:
    Charivari. And it's actually French. :Dhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shivaree_(custom)
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Down with this sort of thing