Absolute Radio

AL89AL89 Posts: 2,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
please can someone explain in very basic terminology how the music differs on 60/70/80/90 etc during the breakfast show. 1 x DJ and I think 6 different stations Its a feat of genius now I have given up on Smooth Absolute 60s/70s fits the bill.

Comments

• ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,823
    Forum Member
    AL89 wrote: »
    please can someone explain in very basic terminology how the music differs on 60/70/80/90 etc during the breakfast show. 1 x DJ and I think 6 different stations Its a feat of genius now I have given up on Smooth Absolute 60s/70s fits the bill.

You know, i got fed up with CE and his cars earlier this week and put Abs 80s on - i have no idea how it works, but it just does and was very impressed

Just think, one day there may be a radio show where you can program your own music
  • CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How come not many people listen to Absolute Radio now since the days when it was Virgin Radio?
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Just think, one day there may be a radio show where you can program your own music
    There is, called jack 2, but may be limited as they want the station to be for yung, mostly female listeners?
    http://www.jackfm2oxfordshire.co.uk/control-the-music/
    (eagle 3 is similar)

Otherwise share streaming spotify/deezer type playlists?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    How come not many people listen to Absolute Radio now since the days when it was Virgin Radio?

Because when Virgin launched it was the only national alternative to Radios 1 and 2 - whilst now its just one of hundreds if you have DAB or the internet.

So its rating arent what they once were in the same way that BBC and ITV ratings arent what they once were when there was no alternative to them.
  • wilson500wilson500 Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the Absolute brand isn't known and respected the same as Virgin. The Virgin brand is well know for records, air flight, mobile phones and most of all Richard Branson who is known for his success. This all helps to assure the listener they are tuning into a good quality product whether that be day after day or for the first time.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't listen to Absolute Radio as much as I used to 3 or 4 years ago.
    I don't still listen to Absolute 80s from time to time.
    I mostly listen to the Scottish AM network on DAB if im in or the local Kingdom FM.
    I do also at times listen to internet radio.
    My sister stopped listening to Absolute Radio a few years back as sound was not always that great on AM in her car.
    She mostly listens to Kingdom FM and has started listening to Heart Scotland now and again since it replaced Real Radio the other month.

Darren
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will they realise that the constant promos for the Christian O' Connell Breakfast Show are getting on peoples nerves? I know of several people who no longer listen to Absolute because of this.
    It's not as if it's a good show either!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will they realise that the constant promos for the Christian O' Connell Breakfast Show are getting on peoples nerves? I know of several people who no longer listen to Absolute because of this.
    Absolute seemed to pick up a lot of Moyle's ex listeners.
    Christian has been with the station since Virgin and maybe more people like him that don't like him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilson500 wrote: »
    I think the Absolute brand isn't known and respected the same as Virgin. The Virgin brand is well know for records, air flight, mobile phones and most of all Richard Branson who is known for his success. This all helps to assure the listener they are tuning into a good quality product whether that be day after day or for the first time.
    Looking back at old stats
    http://www.mediauk.com/radio/1/absolute-radio/listening-figures
    Virgin started to lose half it's listeners from 1999 to about 2.5 million in 2008 so the brand , and perhaps AM mono did not stop listeners moving the FM local stations.
    Then it had a big drop after the rebrand, but as a group the total listening to all Absolute stations is no back above 2.5 million.

A station in Canada has also dropped the Virgin brand
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting news item from 2009
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2009/jan/28/absolute-radio-braced-for-audience-drop
    Absolute Radio is expected to report a big drop in listeners tomorrow when national commercial radio station's first official Rajar figures are published since its rebrand from Virgin Radio.

Tomorrow's figures are expected to show a drop of about 10% to 15%. Absolute Radio would not comment on the size of the drop until the Rajar figures are officially published tomorrow at 7am.
    They ended up by 2010 nearly 50% down.
    Bosses blamed the drop, expected to be confirmed when the latest quarterly audience figures for the final three months of 2008 are published tomorrow, on listener confusion over the new name, which replaced the Virgin Radio brand 15 weeks ago.
    The station has also broadened its playlist and promised a more irreverent and cheeky style with an emphasis on personality DJs.
    The exact opposite to what Global are doing to Smooth and Heart.
    Absolute eventually got back to over 2.5 million listeners through digital stations, but TIML/ARI has now sold out to Bauer media who are slowly making changes like the breakfast show music and stopping international streaming, but kept on most of the staff and studios. Expect Absolute Classic rock with several hundred listeners to merge with Planetrock next?

Bauer do not seem to want to pay Virgin a large licencing fee to go back to the Virgin brand and seem to be keeping all the stations roughly as are?
    Richard Branson does not seem concerned about getting back into UK radio at any cost and no one in the UK is keen on franchising Virgin Radio.

The ARI management are back with Jack Oxford, rather than join with Bauer.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed.

I like Matthew Rudd's show on Absolute 80s but find the constant plugging for O'Connell such a turn-off. That and the terrible imaging by Matt Berry. It all sounds forced, stale and just very unfunny.

I actually feel sorry for the rest of the presenters on Absolute who have to sit reading their scripts obviously massaging O'Connell's over-inflated ego
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Agreed.

I like Matthew Rudd's show on Absolute 80s but find the constant plugging for O'Connell such a turn-off. That and the terrible imaging by Matt Berry. It all sounds forced, stale and just very unfunny.

I actually feel sorry for the rest of the presenters on Absolute who have to sit reading their scripts obviously massaging O'Connell's over-inflated ego

Most stations heavily promote the Breakfast show. It's common practice. However I agree about Matt Berry, can't stand his voice.
  • Hot HitsHot Hits Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt Berry and constant promos to me is a real turn off. Hate it
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What i don't like about absolute is the so called 'no repeat' section. All the records in it get repeated over the next few days, that and that idiot bush, get a life mate you're not funny!
  • Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing about the Absolute Radio brand is that Absolute 70s and Absolute 00s are only available in London when the other 5 can be heard all over the UK. I remember when all the 7 stations merged up for the breakfast show. I remember waiting for the 80s to start at 10.00am on Absolute 80s but find Christine O'Connell annoying like Chris Moyles.
  • CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    speigel wrote: »
    What i don't like about absolute is the so called 'no repeat' section. All the records in it get repeated over the next few days, that and that idiot bush, get a life mate you're not funny!

I like Andy Bush because he says some amusing things and his links are good too.

I don't listen to any other station other than Absolute because other stations (Radio 2, Heart etc), play modern 'pop' music which I don't care to listen to at all. Absolute play rock orientated music with some pop but it isn't stuff you'd hear on other stations
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see absolute has a new app. I think its pretty good, what do others think
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure on the app at the moment. The older version was more tidy with last played coming next etc. I might adjust to it. Love the stations though esp 60s 70s 80s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolute 80s has become unbearable lately with what seems like an even smaller playlist. I'm sick to death of hearing the same Heaven 17, Human League, Police, Duran Duran etc. tracks. There has never been much real variety but just lately it seems to have got worse. I also find it laughable how many songs from 1979 and 1990 they play!!

In the last week I've heard both the Police & Bruce Springsteen played twice within an hour. For a station supposedly covering a whole 10 years of music, that's just shocking.

The repetition plus that annoying Matt Berry & that equally annoying woman saying Absolute 80s in silly voices makes what could be a good station just such a turn-off!
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do agree they can be repetitive I just listen for a change when I'm in the right mood otherwise I would get bored. Both global and Bauer are terrible with poor playlists.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I do like Absolute 80s but anytime I put it on I just know I'm going to be hearing a Belinda Carlisle song within the next 40 minutes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QuincyMD wrote: »
    I do like Absolute 80s but anytime I put it on I just know I'm going to be hearing a Belinda Carlisle song within the next 40 minutes

Of course Belinda Carlisle only had that *one* song as well...!!