Options

Bravery Award or Darwin Award?

tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://sunderlandnow.co.uk/news/local-news/988-aerosol-burns-victim-connor-rowntree-wins-bravery-award.html
A teenager who suffered 90% burns while playing with an aerosol is to receive an award after warning thousands of children of the dangers of fire.

Connor Rowntree was playing with the aerosol at friend's home in Houghton-le-Spring in 2009 when he was engulfed in flames. He endured 100 operations.

His parents Carol and Neil were told his chances of survival were "zero".

But two years on Connor, 17, has fronted a fire safety campaign and is to be presented with a bravery award.

The teenager is in London on Wednesday to be named the bravest young person over 16 years of age at the WellChild Awards.

The accident happened in May 2009 when Connor, then 15, was engulfed in flames while playing with petrol and aerosols at a friend's house.

A Bravery Award he would never had gotten had he not been stupid to mess around with petrol and aerosols in the first place. Does he deserve this award or should he be given the Darwin Award?

How far must people go to understand that messing around with fire, petrol and aerosols and the like are dangerous, and should this stupidity be rewarded?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brave...no, as he had no choice after he burnt himself to go through the medical treatment. Commendable..yes. He is using his misfortune to try and prevent the same happening to others so I think that deserves recognition.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    The OP seems to be struggling to grasp the idea that he's not being rewarded for his stupidity but for the commendable way he's acted after it.
  • Options
    GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did something incredibly stupid and paid the price, probably suffering more pain in the process than any of us will ever know. He learnt the lesson and rather than wallowing in self pity has decided to do something about it.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    He deserves the bravery award. Yes he did a stupid thing, for this he got nothing. His award is for the work he has done to warn others not to make the same mistake he has. Well done to him.
  • Options
    GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    The OP seems to be struggling to grasp the idea that he's not being rewarded for his stupidity but for the commendable way he's acted after it.

A member of DS failing to grasp basic human motivation or have any empathy?

I refuse to believe it.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's highly commendable.

He did something stupid for which he suffered tremendously, has learnt from, and used his experiences to help others.

Not everyone would have been able to cope with those injuries and endure treatment of that nature, never mind come out the other side thinking of others. I think that's pretty brave.
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    I don't think a bravery award is the appropriate one for telling people not to play with aerosols. It's not really a 'brave' thing to do. It's commendable though.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Graathus wrote: »
    A member of DS failing to grasp basic human motivation or have any empathy?

I refuse to believe it.

I don't see why you shouldn't believe it.
    It's perfectly clear from the OP that he was assuming the award was for the original act rather than for...

Oh, wait.

Never mind.

;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Both - brave and respectable for trying to teach others. An idiot for doing it..
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is fronting a campaign brave? An award for community work would be appropriate particularly if he does outreach as well as being a poster boy but I don't think it is particularly brave. Is there any danger or risk in fronting safety campaign? Do arsonists attack fire safety workers alot?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Well, I haven't seen him, but I'm guessing he was really badly burnt everywhere including his face, hands etc, so to speak in front of large crowds rather than hiding at home and giving up on life is quite brave I think...
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst his actions were stupid and reckless I believe his actions since have been commendable, worthy of a Bravery Award though? I don't think so.

Still if his campaign doesn't deter stupidity then nothing will.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't you have to die to get a Darwin award?
  • Options
    Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, because you then prevent your DNA being passed on.

They could do with some of that on Tyneside: " he would never had gotten" is "he would never have received" in English. :mad:
  • Options
    Scorch WoodScorch Wood Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    He deserves the bravery award. Yes he did a stupid thing, for this he got nothing. His award is for the work he has done to warn others not to make the same mistake he has. Well done to him.

Brave is the nursery nurse Lisa Potts who protected her charges while a nutter inflicted serious injuries upon her while he was trying to attack the children.

Stupid ignorant chav is what i'd call that Connor guy, a poor excuse for a human being.

Aerosols and assholes are not a good combination.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Brave is the nursery nurse Lisa Potts who protected her charges while a nutter inflicted serious injuries upon her while he was trying to attack the children.

Stupid ignorant chav is what i'd call that Connor guy, a poor excuse for a human being.

Totally agree with Scorch Wood.
    I too remember the bravery of Lisa Potts. She was very young herself at the time. She put herself in harms way to protect others.
    Everyone remembers the masacre at the Dunblane primary school which happened only months before the attack on the school where Lisa Potts worked.
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    It's good that he's trying to wring something positive out of his misfortune but I, too, don't consider it "brave".
  • Options
    Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honourable mention in the Darwins.
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's brave. Many burn victims or people with visible disfigurements deliberately hide away for fear of being mocked or insulted in public. If his willingness to publicise his original stupidity prevents other kids from doing the same then it doesn't really matter what anybody here posts. I'd imagine too that he's had to cope with worse cyberspace behaviour than is allowed on DS by his peers.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It would be interesting to see how much you have raised for charity over the years.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    How is fronting a campaign brave? An award for community work would be appropriate particularly if he does outreach as well as being a poster boy but I don't think it is particularly brave. Is there any danger or risk in fronting safety campaign? Do arsonists attack fire safety workers alot?

Admitting to being such an idiot takes a certain something. but I agree with you in general.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Well I think the point you are all missing is the fact that Connor was a 15 year old CHILD!!!
    What none of you ever did anything that you were told not to with total disregard for consequences you were previously warned of. Come on its very easy to sit behind your screen and judge someone when you have NO idea what you are talking about. The things that boy has been through and battled up against is amazing and then for him to use his ordeal to not only help prevent which he has ( over 20% drop in burns related injuries in his area) but also to offer advice and understanding to parents going through hell trying to comprehend their child injuries. Connor is an inspiration to many and if some of you had a tenth of his bravery, courage and sheer determination you would be a very fine being.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Yeah but the worst combination is opinions, forums and assholes!!
    Chav? well you have obviously never met Connor as you could not be further from the truth, Poor excuse for a human being! how dare you. One day you will GROW UP, get educated and have children and I hope to god you and your family never have to deal with something like Connor and his family have.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fickle8 wrote: »
    Well I think the point you are all missing is the fact that Connor was a 15 year old CHILD!!!
    What none of you ever did anything that you were told not to with total disregard for consequences you were previously warned of. Come on its very easy to sit behind your screen and judge someone when you have NO idea what you are talking about. The things that boy has been through and battled up against is amazing and then for him to use his ordeal to not only help prevent which he has ( over 20% drop in burns related injuries in his area) but also to offer advice and understanding to parents going through hell trying to comprehend their child injuries. Connor is an inspiration to many and if some of you had a tenth of his bravery, courage and sheer determination you would be a very fine being.
    Fickle8 wrote: »
    Yeah but the worst combination is opinions, forums and assholes!!
    Chav? well you have obviously never met Connor as you could not be further from the truth, Poor excuse for a human being! how dare you. One day you will GROW UP, get educated and have children and I hope to god you and your family never have to deal with something like Connor and his family have.

Did you read the positive posts, too? Maybe concentrate on those instead of the ones that have riled you so much.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't you have to die to get a Darwin award?

Or singe your gonads so bad they no longer function.