Options

Tales from Ibiza

Green KnickersGreen Knickers Posts: 756
Forum Member
✭✭
Is Ibiza really the hedonistic sexually promiscious holiday destination its made out to be?Ive never been but Ive been told that the culture and atmosphere there "allows" normally quite well behaved and unpromiscious people permission to let rip with normality and indulge in many one night stands because youd be crazy not to in Ibiza?

Has anyone here been to Ibiza or know anyone whos come back with tales of Ibiza life?
Indeed has anybody been to live or work there for the holiday season.

Im really interested to hear anybodys Ibiza stories ,opinions etc
Is it just the Brits who go wild there?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went when I was 6, Saw a cockroach, that was about exciting as it got a for 6 year old.:D

I may be going there next year, if I am not too nervous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    I went when I was 6, Saw a cockroach, that was about exciting as it got a for 6 year old.:D

I may be going there next year, if I am not too nervous.

Will you be in the 18-30 age group if you go next year?What are your hopes for your holiday?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Ibiza really the hedonistic sexually promiscious holiday destination its made out to be?Ive never been but Ive been told that the culture and atmosphere there "allows" normally quite well behaved and unpromiscious people permission to let rip with normality and indulge in many one night stands because youd be crazy not to in Ibiza?

Has anyone here been to Ibiza or know anyone whos come back with tales of Ibiza life?

Yes it is and has been since the 60's when the first hip cats found it.

No it's not just the Brits that go crazy. Check out the Germans, Austrians and Dutch and even the main land spanish let go.

San An is the rough and ready side and Ibiza town the cosmo hedi anything goes.:p
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

I remember watching the Rick Stein Mediterrannean series and he took a tour around this nice, quite little island. Friendly locals cooking local cuisine.
    It's like that for most of the year apart from when the ravers invade. Actually, there's quite a large community of hippies who also invade.

He was most perturbed though by the fact that on the front all the restaurants are British pubs/cafs selling chips, burgers, sausages and the ubiquitous bottle of ketchup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful quiet island paradise between October and April.

Even in summer there are secluded coves to be found on the island.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will you be in the 18-30 age group if you go next year?What are your hopes for your holiday?

Yes, I wont have any hopes, just going to see what happens.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    Yes, went in July to a lovely quiet resort. Never saw anything of the Ibiza that most people believe is the only one that exists.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend and I planned to go this summer but her husband and my brother went there and warned us how ridiculously expensive it is there now. So I went to Cannes and Amsterdam instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My friend and I planned to go this summer but her husband and my brother went there and warned us how ridiculously expensive it is there now. So I went to Cannes and Amsterdam instead.

You mean in the clubs?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ibiza is so 1988. Try Mykonos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lesbos
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, went in July to a lovely quiet resort. Never saw anything of the Ibiza that most people believe is the only one that exists.

yeah i have been twice,really nice place,didn't see people having sex in doorways & puke everywhere,most people were a bit drunk but were having alot of fun,great party place & have met some great people there.

if you want the sleaze i'm sure you could find it without much trouble,the sleaze part of it is there but just not what the media says it is.

oh & it is kind of expensive,but going to ibiza you know this
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean in the clubs?
    Yes. I understand Ibiza has lovely other things like scenery, but the nightlife would be the priority for me if I went to Ibiza. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for next year being not so expensive there.
  • Options
    TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Ibiza is so 1988. Try Mykonos.

Ibiza is a beautiful island but its become a very commercial destination now and the clubs arent exactly the same as they used to a few years back.

Great suggestion about Mykonos , they got a nice rising popularity for Decent Nightlife there ;)
  • Options
    SmallalienSmallalien Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been to Portinatx in northern Ibiza a couple of summers and it is a lovely quiet idyllic spot, I plan to go back there with my 1 year old and husband next year. Very good for families, I hear St Eulalia is also the same, good for families etc.

In Portinatx you can just sit at the front having a glass of wine watching the boats bob and the stars twinkling, it was lovely.

Having said that a lot of my friends go to the other side of the island and love it. But they say it's more sophisticated and trendy partying. Put it this way, it's about actually going out and dancing rather than getting drunk and falling over like somewhere like Faliraki. And lower on the STD count.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the combination of user name + thread title to be quite amusing :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes. I understand Ibiza has lovely other things like scenery, but the nightlife would be the priority for me if I went to Ibiza. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for next year being not so expensive there.

I was just wondering why this thread is called Ibiza really as it has so much more than just clubs. Perhaps it should be called 'San Antonio'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    I worked there for 4 months in 08. I say worked but I just did bits and pieces of PR to get me through the season. I loved it, have been every year since and am getting married there next year. It is my happy place and me and my fiance hope to move there in the next 10 years. like others have said there are so many different sides to the island, I recommend hiring a car to see it all.

Nightlife - I'd advise staying away from the west end in San Antonio, and head out to ibiza town, or playa den bossa for Pacha and Space - the 2 best clubs there IMO!

yes it is expensive, has been since I first went in 2007 - I'm used to it and expect it and save accordingly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    missrae wrote: »
    I worked there for 4 months in 08. I say worked but I just did bits and pieces of PR to get me through the season. I loved it, have been every year since and am getting married there next year. It is my happy place and me and my fiance hope to move there in the next 10 years. like others have said there are so many different sides to the island, I recommend hiring a car to see it all.

Nightlife - I'd advise staying away from the west end in San Antonio, and head out to ibiza town, or playa den bossa for Pacha and Space - the 2 best clubs there IMO!

yes it is expensive, has been since I first went in 2007 - I'm used to it and expect it and save accordingly.
    So its not a paradise for the sexually promiscious and doesnt deserve that reputation?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    So its not a paradise for the sexually promiscious and doesnt deserve that reputation?

no, everyone is too out their faces to be up for any sort of sexual promisciousness. In my experience anyway.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Old people go.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smallalien wrote: »
    I have been to Portinatx in northern Ibiza a couple of summers and it is a lovely quiet idyllic spot, I plan to go back there with my 1 year old and husband next year. Very good for families, I hear St Eulalia is also the same, good for families etc.

In Portinatx you can just sit at the front having a glass of wine watching the boats bob and the stars twinkling, it was lovely.

Having said that a lot of my friends go to the other side of the island and love it. But they say it's more sophisticated and trendy partying. Put it this way, it's about actually going out and dancing rather than getting drunk and falling over like somewhere like Faliraki. And lower on the STD count.

I like Portinax and Santa Eulalia too. Es Cana is quiet aswell.
    I love Ibiza but it's like most places, there are places to avoid and you do your homework before you go.
  • Options
    SmallalienSmallalien Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MEW TOWN wrote: »
    Lesbos

How rude.
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Santa Eulalia in August and it was lovely - no horrible clubs or loud scarily-drunk people, just hot and peaceful. The beach was beautiful. I would recommend it if you don't want all the clubbing craziness (which I didn't), but not if you want a wild time!
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ibiza...

Been twice, once as a kid with my family and other when I was 19 and with friends.

Ibiza is a lovely island when you move away from the party side. Me and my friends did a sunset cruise and it was beautiful, I recommend that. Clubs, Pah they are ok but wayyyy to expensive for me. I went in 2005 and it was €8 for an alcopop then, I dread to think the price now! I'm 26, I've been clubbing for over 10 years now, I have pets and bills to pay, I'd rather save my money and do something else!