Options

The Clone Wars (Spoilers allowed)

2»

Comments

• Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, after a bunch of kiddie episodes, at long last it's back to business. The most recent three parter was pretty spectacular.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im new to Clone Wars, i've only just watched season 5 via youtube and the artwork is brilliant, actually loved the younglings storyline (:o), has the artwork always been this good? The dvd packaging never really convinced me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The artwork has improved over the years.
  • Options
    dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The light sabre duel in the last episode was pretty epic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Anyone have any idea as to when Season 5 will be shown in the UK..?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think a date has been announced yet, as far as I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that was a terrific end of season arc. The final exchange between the two characters was quite poignant, nice music also. Not sure about Tim Curry as Palpatine yet, but I'm sure ill get used to him. Not a patch on Ian Abercrombie though (RIP).
    I don't think his will be the last time we'll see Ashoka, she's bound to make an appearance at some point, but the dynamic of the show will be different now for sure. Can't blame her for her decision though; and it explains her absence from ROTS. I guess another implication from the final episode is that now that Ashoka is no longer a Jedi, presumably she wont be targeted when Order 66 is given...so she might have survived beyond ROTS (?)
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, Season 5 has been the weakest yet.

I felt that the Darth Maul storyline has been very disappointing. He seemed far more evil in his very brief appearance in "The Phantom Menace" than he did in the "Clone Wars". I didn't like how we was depicted in this show. And I wish he wasn't so chatty. I think they bungled his storyline but I'm hoping that they'll find a way to repair it next season.

There were various story arcs this season has been very weak. The droid commando unit (R2D2 with the tiny colonel Gascon) was easily the most dreadful this year. It was only 4 episodes long but man it was really painful to watch.

There were a couple of good ones sprinkled throughout the season. But as a whole, season 5 was forgettable to me. I have yet to see the season finale - I think it airs later tonight (where I live).

I'm hoping for a big improvement when season 6 airs next winter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I wasn't a fan of the younglin arc or the droid commando unit arc earlier in the season. It's one aspect of the show that's never sat well with me; one week you can get a silly kiddie episode/arc and then next week a fairly dark instalment. Still, I can't really complain, if you disregard the silly episodes you're still left with a substantial amount of really good Star Wars that's better than most of the actual prequel trilogy itself.

Personally I have enjoyed Maul's return, I've always enjoyed the Deathwatch/Mandalore episodes so I did like that particular three parter.

One thing I do like about the show is Anakin. You can actually believe this guy will one day become the Darth Vader of the original movies. This version of the character has a far more commanding presence than what we saw in ROTS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    It's one aspect of the show that's never sat well with me; one week you can get a silly kiddie episode/arc and then next week a fairly dark instalment.

Exactly! When they do a mature story arc or episode, it can be really good. But I hate it that they feel that they have to mix it up with kiddie episodes just for the sake of keeping things "light" for awhile. They need to trust their audience more.

One thing I do like about the show is Anakin. You can actually believe this guy will one day become the Darth Vader of the original movies. This version of the character has a far more commanding presence than what we saw in ROTS.

His persona has become more darker this season than others. I mean, it was always building up to him questioning the Jedi ways and eventually going the route that he did during the film "Revenge of the Sith". With the Clone Wars TV show, we're getting a complete visual record of Annakin's eventual downfall. I think they're doing a fairly good job with his character. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the show, in its present form, is no more.
    As we enter into an exciting new era focused on the next Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm has decided to pursue a new direction in animated programming. We are exploring a whole new Star Wars series set in a time period previously untouched in Star Wars films or television programming. You can expect more details in the months to come.

As part of this shift, we have also made some key decisions affecting Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

After five highly successful and critically acclaimed seasons of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, we feel the time has come to wind down the series. While the studio is no longer producing new episodes for Cartoon Network, we're continuing production on new Clone Wars story arcs that promise to be some of the most thrilling adventures ever seen.

So, there will be some more Clone Wars output, but the format is not yet clear (TV movies instead of 4 episode arcs?) or where it will be available from (Disney channel, straight to disc, downloads?)

And I wonder what they mean by "exploring a whole new Star Wars series set in a time period previously untouched in Star Wars films or television programming"
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    Looks like the show, in its present form, is no more.

So, there will be some more Clone Wars output, but the format is not yet clear (TV movies instead of 4 episode arcs?) or where it will be available from (Disney channel, straight to disc, downloads?)

And I wonder what they mean by "exploring a whole new Star Wars series set in a time period previously untouched in Star Wars films or television programming"
    That statement sounds like Management Speak for "Cancelled".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it has been cancelled, but thankfully there'll be some more stories come before they shut it down completely. And hopefully they'll be decent stories. There's a short clip of a future episode going around that seems to suggest Order 66 will be explored.

I hope they get to end the Maul storyline. I'd also like to see some sort of closure for characters such as Ventress and Rex.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's still going to be a sixth season (in a way) but it's the final one. That's the way I took the news. It will possibly be a shortened season too. The Cartoon Network only had the rights to the show for 5 years (it expired now). The new episodes will most likely air on the DISNEY' XD channel. Maybe instead of calling it a sixth season they'll rename it as "specials" or "miniseries". Then it's over.

Disney is figuring things out with STAR WARS. There's a lot of things happening behind the scenes concerning games, TV and films. This is what is known so far:

GAME:
    Star Wars - First Assault: CANCELLED
    Star Wars 1313: LIMBO. No one knows what's happening with this game.

TV SHOW:
    Clone Wars: CANCELLED (new episodes still being or already have been produced to wrap up the show).
    Detour: DELAYED (possibly until after the first live-action film comes out)
  • Options
    deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 5 begins next Monday (8 April) on Cartoon Network[HD] 10:30am

Not sure if it's being shown daily or weekly, yet. My EPG won't go that far. I suspect daily. I have it on series link though so hopefully I won't miss any episodes.

I hope, once they've shown it, they go back and start the series over again from season 1 and don't just relegate it to CNToo, where they just show random episodes from varying seasons.
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will this show ever get a repeat on Cartoon Network ?
    It used to be on nearly every day.
  • Options
    deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    Will this show ever get a repeat on Cartoon Network ?
    It used to be on nearly every day.

Unlikely.

Since Lucasfilm now belongs to Disney, Disney XD would've been a more likely channel. However, a new animated series (in a extremely similar animated format) is due to air this autumn (??) called Star Wars: Rebels which is set between Episodes III and IV

I'll give it a try but from what I've seen it doesn't look that promising; with many already dubbing it "Aladdin In Space". I'm fully expecting it to be a shite replacement like Avengers Assemble is to The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes