Corrie's Fireman Paul storyline revealed

PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
Forum Member
✭✭
CORONATION Street is going to be rocked by a racism scandal.

Weatherfield fireman Paul Kershaw will find himself at the centre of a fierce storm when he’s accused of being a racist by cab driver Lloyd Mullaney.

In scenes to be screened this summer, Paul is talking to Steve McDonald (Simon Gregson, 38) and uses the phrase “playing the white man”.

Lloyd’s daughter Jenna Kamara (Krissi Bohn, 29) hears Paul’s comment and tells her dad, sparking a row between the two men.

It will cause a bitter divide as some residents side with Paul and believe it wasn’t meant as a racist slur and others side with Lloyd (Craig Charles, 48).

Paul (Tony Hirst, 46) tries to play matters down but is forced to defend himself.

Instead of apologising he digs his heels in and makes matters even worse.

His row will have a big impact on his girlfriend Eileen Grimshaw (Sue Cleaver, 39) as she works with both Steve and Lloyd at the cab office.

Corrie boss Stuart Blackburn told the Daily Star: “There’s a point when Paul, in a moment of stupidity and stress, makes one wrong remark.

“It’s a remark he dismisses as nothing but what it takes us into is something of pride, loyalty and principle. It’s a story that’s going to ripple through Weatherfield and jeopardise Eileen’s relationship not just with Paul but with Steve and Lloyd as well.

“I think it’s one of those modern stories that will get everyone talking.”

Daily Star

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    oh so this is the ''topical''storyline then
  • MarleyBMarleyB Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hang on a minute eileen is only 39 #pissoff haha first mary is 37 the empire state building is 39 you sure about that, what is happening im so confused
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does 'playing the whiteman' mean ? :o
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard the term myself either, lol
    Forum Member
    sue cleaver is never 39
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delete
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue is 50 according to Wikipedia, god knows where Daily Star got 39 from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

thank god, i was going to say i thought people were screwing with me
    Forum Member

lol :D
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woo-pity do.
  • MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »

I googled it and got this:

"Play the white man is a term used in parts of England meaning to be decent and trustworthy in one's actions. The term is considered by some to be derogatory against non-white people because they believe it carries the implication that they are indecent or untrustworthy. Originating in colonial England, the term is losing popularity in common parlance"
  • Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds crap.

I thought they were getting rid of tiny fireman?
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm so glad you don't know that expression.
    That suggests it's dying out.

..and now Coronation St have chosen to revive it again :rolleyes:
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    I googled it and got this:

"Play the white man is a term used in parts of England meaning to be decent and trustworthy in one's actions. The term is considered by some to be derogatory against non-white people because they believe it carries the implication that they are indecent or untrustworthy. Originating in colonial England, the term is losing popularity in common parlance"

Thank you. :)
  • MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you. :)

No problem :) I didn't know what it meant either!
  • Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the age thing either. I thought Eileen was supposed to be 52 seeing as she was born in 1961.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard the phrase, it was used in the 1980s quite a lot - play the white man is just a throw away turn of phrase - meaning do the proper thing or be honest. I cannot believe laid back Lloyd would take such umbrage at this - another over exaggerated to the point of stupidity plot like Gary's "kiss". Why they brought tiny fireman back from Yorkshire when that would have been a proper ending for him and "39 year old" :o Eileen and we have to be subjected to this tripe is anyone's guess.:confused:
  • KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they are mixing up Sue Cleaver with Katy Cavanagh who plays Julie and according to Wikipedia is 39. :rolleyes:
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    So they mean to tell me that after all that Elieen and Paul have been through, their relationship with end over this?!
  • BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard the term myself either, is it something to do with white men being saw as somewhat geeky and ''not with it'' (happens alot in American films e.g not being able to dance)
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard the phrase, it was used in the 1980s quite a lot - play the white man is just a throw away turn of phrase - meaning do the proper thing or be honest. I cannot believe laid back Lloyd would take such umbrage at this - another over exaggerated to the point of stupidity plot like Gary's "kiss". Why they brought tiny fireman back from Yorkshire when that would have been a proper ending for him and "39 year old" :o Eileen and we have to be subjected to this tripe is anyone's guess.:confused:

BIB Totally agree, Lloyd would ignore it or come back with some clever quip.

I'd not heard the expression either :(
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrishaS wrote: »
    BIB Totally agree, Lloyd would ignore it or come back with some clever quip.

I'd not heard the expression either :(

Quite. More codswallop. No one would take umbrage.
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Never heard the term myself either, lol

We've come a long way since comic wrestler Les Kellett told his opponent Johnny Kwango "from West Africa" to play the white man during one of their Saturday afternoon bouts on ITV's World Of Sport causing the audience to go into fits of laughter.

It means to play fair and probably dates from the British colonial days. I seem to remember one of my old bosses in the late 1960's telling me to do this.

I'm a big Corrie fan but this seems like a very tiresome storyline to me.
  • MarySMaryS Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Corrie but can't stand Eileen & Paul,so dreading this.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a load of crock.