Options

Problem with WD TV Live accessing PC

Hi

I've purchased a WD TV Live media streaming device, and it seems to be working fine - Netflix, BBC iPlayer etc. However, I cannot get it to access my PC to stream media stored on my hard drive. It requests a username and password for my PC, however despite trying every possible combination I can think of, it still says invalid username and password. I've even changed my user password on my PC user profile in case the password wasn't what I thought it was, but to no avail.

I can see the WD TV Live on the network map on my PC, and I have enabled file sharing on both the WD TV Live, and my PC, but I simply cannot get past the log-in screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong, or failing that how I might go about changing the username and password in order that I could use new log-in details to gain access?

Many thanks in advance. :)

Edited to add: I can access the PC via the WD TV Live by turning off the password protected sharing option on the PC, but that's only really a workaround, as it would be better to have the sharing password protected.

Comments

• Options
    DerekMcVDerekMcV Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you a media server running on the PC - Will likely need it to transcode MKV files. If windows 7 you could try the MS media server, or look for a WD TV forum to see what Media server people recommend works best? This will sort out the file serving permissions.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see the point in having file sharing password protected on a domestic network, as long as you have your wifi secured.
  • Options
    jcjeffejcjeffe Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Do you actually have the location of the media files on the pc shared? If you have then you should be able to see the shared location when you click "Network" on that PC. You then need to check the permissions on the share to see if "Everyone" has "read" or "full" access so no password is needed. But that may only work for access from devices in the same workgroup. Its probably a good idea to try and access the files from another computer to check things work then when its sucessful then try the WD device.
  • Options
    The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 21,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies folks. I had printer sharing set to off, yet, in a 'I've tried everything else, so I may as well try this' kind of way, I set it to on, and bizarrely, I could then log-in on the WD TV Live, and access the media files from my PC. Quite frankly I cannot see why on Earth that should have made any difference whatsoever, but it seems to have done, so I'm not going to fight it.

Thanks again for the replies. :)