stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    CNN: "Israel tightens air space security."

What do they know?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I see it there were 4 separate communications systems 3 of which failed in a short period of time

Apart from the transponder the other two systems could have stopped anytime from when they last transmitted to the time the transponder stopped

Therefore you cannot conclude that they were turned off at different times which would suggest deliberate action
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What do they know?

Do you have a link for that or was it on broadcast news?

I've just looked on the CNN News website & can't see any reference
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member

What do they know?

I doubt they 'know' anything, it's just a good excuse for certain parties to blame Iran.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The black box wasn't turned off.
    Strictly speaking, we won't know that, unless and until it is recovered...

[You might be able to disable it via a cockpit circuit breaker, unless it has its own internal power supply]
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What do they know?

As opposed to what? When has Israel ever lessened security, it's always high
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    What seems to be apparent today is that the information coming from the Malaysians, especially about the timeline, is very unreliable. They don't seem up to the job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What do they know?

That is pretty much a standard procedure considering a passenger jet may have been hijacked. All countries will be tightening their air space security
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, we won't know that, unless and until it is recovered...

[You might be able to disable it via a cockpit circuit breaker, unless it has its own internal power supply]

I didn't even know you could turn them off. That poster mentioned it in relation to the transponder which can't be right.
  • Options
    Jenny_AustinJenny_Austin Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Not read many of the posts on here so apologies if this is a repeat question, but why is it possible to turn off the transponders from the cabin. Anyone know
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Not read many of the posts on here so apologies if this is a repeat question, but why is it possible to turn off the transponders from the cabin. Anyone know

From the cabin? I doubt that it is. Or do you mean from the cockpit? If the latter, the flight crew need to be able to turn off any electrical system in the event that it catches fire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From the cabin? I doubt that it is. Or do you mean from the cockpit? If the latter, the flight crew need to be able to turn off any electrical system in the event that it catches fire.

Yes OK cockpit, thanks for answering.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To those asking where you hide 239 people I'd say, in a plane. I doubt hijackers would be that bothered about the comfort of the passengers so all that would be needed would basically be a suitably sized hanger/cover for the plane itself. Who knows what's in the remoter areas of the Stans especially if various military forces have been there or thereabouts over the years. I'm not justify the theory, just offering a possible answer to some questions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To those asking where you hide 239 people I'd say, in a plane..

But why would anyone go to the trouble of doing that then keep it secret?
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That I wouldn't know. As mentioned, I was just suggesting that there's no need for major additional facilities to keep the passengers in as some are indicating.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That I wouldn't know. As mentioned, I was just suggesting that there's no need for major additional facilities to keep the passengers in as some are indicating.

I agree, no way will hijackers go out of their way to put them somewhere comfortable. You would need a hotel for that many people.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Maybe what they demand is something best negotiated in private.
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CNN news: Thailand are saying they were getting intermittent signals from the plane.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    The fault / fire theory is still the most likely...

Good explanation from a pilot here...

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Don't forget the initial hijack that lead to the "Raid on Entebbe" 248 passengers were taken, so history is on the side of the hijackers. I think people are forgetting that in the 70's plane hijackings were very popular with various terror/political groups. It sort of dwindled out in the 80's after several hijackings came to a bloody end and the hijackers were killed or captured.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    No, it reported data about the flight and then stopped reporting data and merely bleeped at 30-minute intervals for the next seven hours.

This is the ACARS engineering updates services we are talking about here. It only ever sends reports on either VHF or Satellite (COMSAT) every 30 minutes anyway. All anyone knows is that it sent a transmission at 1:07am, but not at its next scheduled transmission at 1:37am. As this was after the sign-off from KL ATC, and after the transponder went offline (was lost by Subang ATC) at 1:22am, there is no possible way of knowing that it was either deliberately turned off or that it was turned off before the ADS-B transponder. This was discussed on Radio4 this morning and experts said it was "unfortunate" that the Malaysian authorities had inferred this was the case.
    The "pings" that were detected over the next 7 hours are unrelated to the ACARS data transmissions. They are the baseband synchronisation events between the COMSAT panel and the Inmarsat satellite and happen whether other systems are feeding that panel data or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "terror/political groups"?

What, is the word terrorist now offensive and un PC?? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    CNN news: Thailand are saying they were getting intermittent signals from the plane.

I read there are very few military radars in Southern thailand...
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    "terror/political groups"?

What, is the word terrorist now offensive and un PC?? :D

No one knows who they are or if they are, let alone whose side they are on. Plenty of terrorists were dubbed "freedom fighters" by the West (and similarly by the East, I'm sure).
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand the agony of the relatives waiting for news of their loved ones , but shouting at the officials and going on hunger strike will achieve nothing. If the authorities knew what happened and where they are surely they would have found them, but with hundreds of ships and planes searching thousand of square miles, I fail to see what more they can do.?
This discussion has been closed.