Ricky Gervais: Love him or hate him?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love all his shows, especially Derek, Extras and The Office. Strongly agree with his views on religion (he's a 'militant' atheist :D ), animal welfare and pretty much everything else.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Ricky, his stand on religion and animals and I love all his and Stephen's shows (apart from Derek which I confess I have never seen). :)

After all the man and Stephen gave us Karl Pilkington, and I do not forget the immortal trio of Keith Chegwin, Les Dennis and Shaun Williamson together! :D:D:D
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    What is there not to like about the overweight,sweaty and totally unfunny little man?

Fair enough to judge someone on their comedy, but why the need to judge others on their appearance? It just makes you sound very shallow if you don´t like someone, just because of their weight. (Personally I don´t think he is that fat at all)

http://perezhilton.com/fitperez/2011-05-12-ricky-gervais-goes-for-a-jog#.U4jBqnJDus8
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough to judge someone on their comedy, but why the need to judge others on their appearance? It just makes you sound very shallow if you don´t like someone, just because of their weight. (Personally I don´t think he is that fat at all)

http://perezhilton.com/fitperez/2011-05-12-ricky-gervais-goes-for-a-jog#.U4jBqnJDus8

Whilst I agree with you, I wouldn't bother defending Ricky considering his open hatred of fat people. He certainly wouldn't thank you!
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I agree with you, I wouldn't bother defending Ricky considering his open hatred of fat people. He certainly wouldn't thank you!

I've heard him make jokes about fat people, but "hatred of fat people", I don't think so.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Taking the mick out of yourself and not liking someone just because they are fat, are very different things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont know him. But I know I don't like his work.
  • motheroftwomotheroftwo Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Think he might be subject of his own hype, the office was something of a flash-in-the-pan it would appear
    Extra's was unremarkable, whereas Derek although probably an earnest attempt (and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt)
    but is none the less a character with an obvious IQ impediment put before us to laugh and point at
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think he might be subject of his own hype, the office was something of a flash-in-the-pan it would appear
    Extra' was unremarkable, whereas Derek although probably an earnest attempt (and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt)
    but is none the less a character with an obvious IQ impediment put before us to laugh and point at

If you think that, then you have completely misunderstood the concept of the show.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I loved The Office but I'm not a particular fan of Gervais himself.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I like Ricky, his stand on religion and animals and I love all his and Stephen's shows (apart from Derek which I confess I have never seen). :)

After all the man and Stephen gave us Karl Pilkington, and I do not forget the immortal trio of Keith Chegwin, Les Dennis and Shaun Williamson together! :D:D:D

'Derek' is unrelentingly mawkish.
  • Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like him but not anymore think hes lost his way lol...boring as f eck now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extra's was unremarkable, whereas Derek although probably an earnest attempt (and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt)

No, I think you've completely missed the point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't bear him, whether his persona is all an "act" or not.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I think he's great. Loved the office, and I admire his fearlessness- seeing him presenting the golden globes and sticking it to all the Hollywood elite was too funny.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked him in Extras, think he was mildly amusing in The Ricky Gervais Show (of course only because of Karl Pilkington) but that's about it.
  • bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes; for 'the office' & animal welfare, so kudos ;-) but,
    No; to being essentially a one-trick pony who plays Brent in almost everything he does

I would say he actually plays himself in everything he does. Brent is him.

Love The Office and Extras but I do feel that The Office was a rip off of something else I saw briefly in the 90s. Can't remember the name of it, but it was essentially a pretend documentary about office life. Didn't last long, I think. Can't remember why. But what I saw of it was very funny.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's like that unfunny uncle at a wedding that makes you cringe and wish he'd just sit down and shut up.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly wonder where Gervais goes from here.
    He has largely lost critical support, appears to have no respect from his peers and has fallen out with his collaborators (possibly). His only fans appear to be people who have the same understanding of "Ironic" as Alanis Morrisette.
    I'm a supporter of animal welfare, but I'm not sure having Gervais on our side is a good thing, as he perpetuates the myth that people who love animals also hate people. And his "militant atheism" comes across more as religious intolerance to me.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Hate' is far too strong so I opted for dislike.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a funny one. The Office was and is one of my favourite comedies of all time. However, I did grow to think, afterwards, that there was a little bit too much of David Brent's lesser appealing characteristics in Gervais' actual personality. I particularly don't like his 'my gimp'ish behaviour with Pilkington. Extras was often very good - but not as good as The Office.

I'm a bit like that. Love some of his stuff but hate other bits. Really liked The Office and Extras, absolutely don't get any of the Pilkington stuff, don't really like his as a movie actor and can't really warm to him as a person
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    He's like that unfunny uncle at a wedding that makes you cringe and wish he'd just sit down and shut up.

Totally agree.

I didn't find him sticking it to the Hollywood elite remotely funny, just hideously embarrassing and ridiculous.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me
    He didn't have much to start with.. used to see him on 11 o-clock show, and snicker at his "nasty" character. after that it was The Office, which I didn't find very funny, but could see the humour in the situation.. after that, he seems to have done pretty much the same act in everything I've seen him do, and his stand-up is piss poor..
    His radio show was pretty good as he has half decent tastes in music & had good support from the other two, but he really is a one trick pony..
    Sadly, now he's won major support in the US, he's so far up his own bottom its untrue, but still defends that with the same BS he's always used to say offensive things..It's not "Ricky", it's a character

Dislike

(however, the missus CANNOT bear him, and will leave room, switch channels, even put fingers in ears, if he appears on TV)

Yet can't understand when I have same reaction to Alan Carr, Louis Spence or David Walliams..

ONE TRICK PONIES
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grey Lady wrote: »
    Totally agree.

I didn't find him sticking it to the Hollywood elite remotely funny, just hideously embarrassing and ridiculous.
    Hollywood invented the "roast" - they certainly wouldn't have been bothered by his lazy nonsense. Plus he would have been mortified if someone really did take offense, he's such a suck- up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    Hollywood invented the "roast" - they certainly wouldn't have been bothered by his lazy nonsense.

True, but I hate the whole "roast" thing. I just don't see what on earth is supposed to be funny about it. I guess I would not be popular in Hollywood!