Options

Are Iraqie Militants a threat to civilisation?

ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The British and Yanks should never have gone into Iraq, it was a war of aggression. However we are where we are. These militants are a threat to the cradle of civilisation, God knows what they will do with artifacts in Bagdad. This will also spark war with Iran, dragging in what is left of syria, and eventually Israel.

Comments

• Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    And Muslims were so cute and cuddly and peaceful before?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Zimmie wrote: »
    The British and Yanks should never have gone into Iraq, it was a war of aggression. However we are where we are. These militants are a threat to the cradle of civilisation, God knows what they will do with artifacts in Bagdad. This will also spark war with Iran, dragging in what is left of syria, and eventually Israel.

you see this sequence of events as a certainty?

i really don't care what they do to 'artefacts' in Baghdad - you know they are actually killing people right?
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, they have already proclaimed that they plan to destroy all idolatorous monuments, so not only is the entire pre-Islamic history of Iraq under death sentence, most of the post Islamic history is as well. Just goes to show, history can run backwards as well as forwards.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one flavour of Islam versus another. As it has always been and always will be until the world grows out of this nonsense.

We should keep out, factor out the oil and concentrate on our own security.
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The British and Yanks should never have gone into Iraq, it was a war of aggression. However we are where we are. These militants are a threat to the cradle of civilisationl.

They certainly don't enhance civilisation .,
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »

Well. That is what I'm being told evey day on this forum .
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    you see this sequence of events as a certainty?

i really don't care what they do to 'artefacts' in Baghdad - you know they are actually killing people right?

I care about both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, they have already proclaimed that they plan to destroy all idolatorous monuments, so not only is the entire pre-Islamic history of Iraq under death sentence, most of the post Islamic history is as well. Just goes to show, history can run backwards as well as forwards.

What's that then Ted?
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Baghdad has no artefacts they have all been stolen.

In the so called cradle of civilisation the warring Muslim tribes will be busy beheading each other and hacking people to pieces and slaughtering each other with guns and bombs.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrible people, in their stupid masks (who are these "big men" hiding from?)and guns, wont be smiling when they get blown up will they?

What do they actually want? Do they even know? Apart from having fun killing people.

eta in answer to the OP, no they are not a threat to civilisation,no ignorant thug can ever be, they can damage but not destroy
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

Which civilisation?

At it's most basic the Anglo-Saxon Judeo/Christian civilisation may have been the dominant one of the last 2000 years - having been preceded by Roman. Which itself saw the end of Egyptian (as Cleopatra Ptolemy was the last pharaoh and she was Greek - descended from Alexander the Great's General Ptolemy).

Civilisations come and go.

So to answer the question - No they are not a threat to civilisation so much as a threat to the Anglo-Saxon Democratic civilisations, but they will create their own. Would I want to live in that civilisation - No.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which civilisation?

At it's most basic the Anglo-Saxon Judeo/Christian civilisation may have been the dominant one of the last 2000 years - having been preceded by Roman. Which itself saw the end of Egyptian (as Cleopatra Ptolemy was the last pharaoh and she was Greek - descended from Alexander the Great's General Ptolemy).

So to answer the question - No they are not a threat to civilisation so much as a threat to the Anglo-Saxon Democratic civilisations, but they will create their own. Would I want to live in that civilisation - No.

Rubbish, close civilisations are connected one way or another through history and culture andin this day and age the world is more interconnected than it was ages ago, you cant destroy the existing without destroying yourself to a large extent IMO

even a baboon with one brain cell would be more intelligent than to risk world destruction
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Which civilisation?

The Roman empire didn't go away it became the Catholic church
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Typical sweeping ignorant generalisations about Muslims. I will not stoop to such a level as the ones that I have known have been perfectly decent people, although obviously I condemn the extremists. I will continue to take each individual on their own merits (or lack of). I don't care if you are black, white, brown or yellow - Christian, Muslim, Jew or atheist - if you support tolerance, justice and equality, you are my friend - if you support intolerance, injustice and inequality, you are not my friend.

As for this issue, no they are not a threat to civilisation. We should work with other countries in a diplomatic, but not military, process. Military action, as we have seen before, is likely to make things even worse. My heart goes out to all the innocent people that are stuck in this situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Baghdad has no artefacts they have all been stolen.

In the so called cradle of civilisation the warring Muslim tribes will be busy beheading each other and hacking people to pieces and slaughtering each other with guns and bombs.

A slight exaggeration........
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    US and UK imperialism is a bigger threat, I would say.

No country should impose their economic and military will on others as these two have done so often in the past century.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical sweeping ignorant generalisations about Muslims. I will not stoop to such a level as the ones that I have known have been perfectly decent people, although obviously I condemn the extremists. I will continue to take each individual on their own merits (or lack of). I don't care if you are black, white, brown or yellow - Christian, Muslim, Jew or atheist - if you support tolerance, justice and equality, you are my friend - if you support intolerance, injustice and inequality, you are not my friend.

As for this issue, no they are not a threat to civilisation. We should work with other countries in a diplomatic, but not military, process. Military action, as we have seen before, is likely to make things even worse. My heart goes out to all the innocent people that are stuck in this situation.

Nice post but there was only one or two posts on this thread about "muslims" lets deal with the current violent inhumane thugs and the western thugs that support them, not sure which one is worst tbh...actually its the western enablers even if they didnt personally cut peoples heads off and parade them, gross the lot of them.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True libertarian ethos right there.

Individual liberty for all regardless of race, religion, gender, sexuality, country of origin, or social or economic status.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True libertarian ethos right there.

Individual liberty for all regardless of race, religion, gender, sexuality, country of origin, or social or economic status.

perhaps sometimes the antithesis of this has to be flushed out with the ensuing violence before it can be a norm for most, dont know anymore

>>>> laters
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A slight exaggeration........

Slight, but I clearly remember news of the looting way back when we went to war with them.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    It's one flavour of Islam versus another. As it has always been and always will be until the world grows out of this nonsense.

We should keep out, factor out the oil and concentrate on our own security.

That sounds like a bloody good plan. If only.....:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I.R.A.Q.

I.ts
    R.eally
    A.other
    Q.uagmire
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's that then Ted?

Misprint. Meant to write that the Jihadi headbangers also want to destroy most post-classical - that is, Islamic era artefacts as well. They view Shia mosques, mausoleums and shrines as heretical and worthy of destruction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »

Do you think this might have something to do with it?

General Wesley Clark: Wars Were Planned - Seven Countries In Five Years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RC1Mepk_Sw
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The militants are into crucifixion huh.......

Entire families crucified.