England vs Uruguay - ITV1 19/6 8pm

Comments

• Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A difficult group to be fair.

What normally happens is we struggle in the group against some lower ranked sides, then get knocked out in the knock out stage by the likes of teams like Uruguay and Italy. We just met them earlier this time.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Exactly. I said this on here when they were singing the National Anthem .... Or not, in the case of many of them. Before they'd kicked a ball they looked knackered. No bright eyes, no looking eager to get on the pitch, no excitement. A bland bunch indeed.

England's attitude wasn't great after the equaliser either.......they started going backwards instead of kicking on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lemon Haze wrote: »
    Just think what Bale and Ramsey could have added to that team, but there is always the Jagileka problem i.e. just aint good enough, but that's no surprise as everyone knew that before the WC anyway. The sooner we get a British team the better!

Bale most likely would have still been dropped for Welbeck.
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how they failed to mention Gerrard once in the analysis for the goals.

Because there were still 2 defenders marking Suarez after Gerrard's mis header and they both just let him go and paid the penalty
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I never realised that. Thanks so much for pointing it out.

So what do you want someone hosting an England match to do exactly? Shrug his shoulders and tell the viewers 'It's only football yeah? On the bright side, I get to lie by the pool'?
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,688
    Forum Member
    The dismal Chiles is so annoying now.

We've got more to be devastated about watching him and the other three muppets on ITV rather than the England result!!
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing to do with the Premier League, our performances in major tournaments in the 22 years after the formation of the Premier League is better than the 22 years before.

1970-1992 (World Cup and Euros)

Semi Final - 1 (1990)
    Quarter Final - 2 (1970, 1986)
    Last 12/16 - 1 (1982)
    Group Stage - 3 (1980, 1988, 1982)
    Failed to qualify - 5 (1972, 1974, 1976, 1978, 1984)

1992-2014

Semi Final - 1 (1996)
    Quarter Final - 4 (2002, 2004, 2006, 2012)
    Last 16 - 2 (1998, 2010)
    Group Stage - 2 (2000, 2014?)
    Failed to qualify - 2 (1994, 2008)

Set B is the golden generation though. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Which is pretty damning. I don't think Uruguay are a good side at all but they had the better attitude tonight.

agree with this. Uruguay just had a bit more passion and desire.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with the Premier League, our performances in major tournaments in the 22 years after the formation of the Premier League is better than the 22 years before.

1970-1992 (World Cup and Euros)

Semi Final - 1 (1990)
    Quarter Final - 2 (1970, 1986)
    Last 12/16 - 1 (1982)
    Group Stage - 3 (1980, 1988, 1982)
    Failed to qualify - 5 (1972, 1974, 1976, 1978, 1984)

1992-2014

Semi Final - 1 (1996)
    Quarter Final - 4 (2002, 2004, 2006, 2012)
    Last 16 - 2 (1998, 2010)
    Group Stage - 2 (2000, 2014?)
    Failed to qualify - 2 (1994, 2008)

The Premier League was nothing more than a new version of Division One for the first part of it's life. It only started to take a life of it's own in the early to mid noughties and, instead of improving the English game, at best it's allowed it to stagnate.
    Forum Member
    Makes you laugh that the England players are trying to make a fast buck off the back of the adverts on tv........ Daniel Sturridge with Subway and Joe Hart with Doritos.

Never mind the ads guys try playing football properly and winning a match or two ....... ouch too late. .
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    Makes you laugh that the England players are trying to make a fast buck off the back of the adverts on tv........ Daniel Sturridge with subway and Joe Hart with Doritos.

Never mind the ads guys try playing football properly and winning a match or two ....... ouch too late. .
    I don't think Daniel could have tried any harder.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Yes in principle, but I think Uruguay are an inferior team to Italy (Suarez aside obviously)

Without Suarez we would have probably beaten Uruguay - Poyet said as much. They aren't that great and rely on the finishing of one player to get them through.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    We could not retain possession because every body needed more than one touch or ran into cul de sacs.

Like a team of 11 year olds

England had the vast majority of the possession in the game. Just not the final delivery to create enough chances. That's been the real difference in both matches, the other sides were clinical with their chances
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone explain to me why ITV are so determined to take the sympathetic line with England rather than the critical line?
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Exactly. I said this on here when they were singing the National Anthem .... Or not, in the case of many of them. Before they'd kicked a ball they looked knackered. No bright eyes, no looking eager to get on the pitch, no excitement. A bland bunch indeed.

A bland anthem for a bland bunch then.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why ITV are so determined to take the sympathetic line with England rather than the critical line?

They want the next set of rights??
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Oi England ... get that Irn Bru intae ye...that will help the pain. ;-)

I bet it's going to be quite a night in Scotland.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All we need is for Italy to win their next two games out of kindness and for us to beat our next opponents (with a good goal difference) who won 3-1 to the team we just couldn't win against.

Easy!
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Tottenham's Townsend injured ??
    Forum Member
    If the difference in the game is one man, Suarez, why didn't England just man to man mark him, take him out of the game and nullify his contribution?

Is that really too hard to fathom out?

We know how good he is, we've watched him for the whole of the last Premier League season.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    the likes of Sturridge, Sterling and Gerrard are just made to look brilliant by the world class foreigners who play with them for their club sides.

This is an unbelievably uneducated post. No chance Liverpool would've made 2nd without the likes of Sturridge, Sterling and Gerrard in the team. The difference is that a manager like Brendan Rodgers knows how to get the very best out of them.

Roy Hodgson, on the other hand, does not.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    It's not like Uruguay overran you though. Just the class of Suarez and some sloppiness made the difference.

That's our problem though. Teams don't need to overrun us to beat us.

We are so predictable and easy to defend against - too direct and most of our attacks come down the wing. England teams try to batter their way through rather than picking passes and opening teams up, and only seem capable of scoring from crosses. Almost every England attack ends up with ball being played out wide.

We never play our way through the middle and lose the battle in midfield no matter how many players we have in there. There's no creativity or anything there. Our players' technique is vastly inferior to the better teams.

Our defence tonight was god-awful as well.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Isn't overrated by $ky and BT; and I think that's where the problem lies. Why bother putting i the effort for England when you can take home £m's tucked away in a middling Premiership team??

Why would getting lots of money and playing in a mid table side effect whether someone gives a lit of effort in international games?
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think Stevie G might take that same trip to the Rainforest that Beckham did for a while, where no one knows him.

Sad really, after that Speech he did about moving on together for the Norwich game be was one of the possibles for Sports Personality of the Year... all gone a bit wrong since.

He might never meet Sue Barker
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    A difficult group to be fair.

What normally happens is we struggle in the group against some lower ranked sides, then get knocked out in the knock out stage by the likes of teams like Uruguay and Italy. We just met them earlier this time.

Both of England's games have proved otherwise, when you look at the matches (and not the results). Hoddle is right in that we could have beaten both Uruguay and Italy.