Options

Tapas!

saladcreamsaladcream Posts: 751
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone got any good spanish tapas recipies??

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not brilliantly helpful sorry.....but M+S do a very good Tapas book for £3 one of their little square ones.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,555
    Forum Member
    A couple of easy ones I've recreated - toast small rounds of wholemeal baguette while sauteeing a mixture of mushrooms in olive oil and garlic then spread them onto the the toast; grill asparagus dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar then wrap in smoked salmon or cured spanish ham; marinade a mixture of black and green olives in olive oil, garlic and crushed chilli flakes; make small meatballs with beef mince, garlic, breadcrumbs, oregano, paprika and black pepper; do cheats empanadas with tuna, tomatoes and olives using small pitta breads...probably others I've forgotten too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do tapas all the time. Loads of recipes on line. Here are just some examples of the stuff you can do.
    Patatas brava - just google for good recipe.
    Broadbeans and chorizo - fry off some onions until soft, add chorizo and broadbeans and red wine. Cook until red wine has reduced by about half.
    Spanish omlette (spelling ?), slice onions and potatoes, sweat in frying pan with olive oil until soft. Add about 6 beaten eggs. Cook until omlette has set and then finish off the top under a hot grill.
    Prawns pil pil - add olive oil to cover the base of small, shallow oven proof dishes. Add chopped garlic and chillis to taste. Top up with passata. Add one star anise per dish, a sprinkle of sugar, and a twist of salt and pepper. Add prawns. Cook in very hot oven until bubbling and the sides of the dish are starting to char.
    Make a white loaf and for a genuine Spanish flavour add a tablespoon of fennel seeds into the mix.
  • Options
    CMKCMK Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LQS wrote: »
    Spanish omlette (spelling ?), slice onions and potatoes, sweat in frying pan with olive oil until soft. Add about 6 beaten eggs. Cook until omlette has set and then finish off the top under a hot grill.

A proper Spanish omelette is not finished off under a hot grill. What you do is you flip the omelette in the pan, and continue to cook. The best way to do this is placing a plate over the pan, flipping, then remove the plate and slide the omelette back in.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These tomato and feta bites are lovely (more meze than tapas, but still!)
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2220/tomato-and-feta-pesto-bites

I also make this butter bean and spinach dish:
    Open a tin of butter beans, roast some ripe medium sized tomatoes with oregano, garlic and olive oil, mash them and take out the skins, fry with some chopped shallots and some more oregano, add butter beans, add some spinach and wilt. Season to taste.

Also some spanakopita:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7488/spanakopita
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CMK wrote: »
    A proper Spanish omelette is not finished off under a hot grill. What you do is you flip the omelette in the pan, and continue to cook. The best way to do this is placing a plate over the pan, flipping, then remove the plate and slide the omelette back in.

This is true, BUT :
    a. it makes it easier to finish it without breaking it.
    b. it makes no difference to the taste.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LQS wrote: »
    This is true, BUT :
    a. it makes it easier to finish it without breaking it.
    b. it makes no difference to the taste.

I have never broken one yet.:) Must be all the years of practice as I have eaten them all my life:D
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    My favourite tapas is octopus in an onion and red wine marmalade. It was most delicious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite tapas is octopus in an onion and red wine marmalade. It was most delicious.

Don't think this is very authentic though. Where did you eat this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmm, tapas :)

Anything with chorizo or some lovely meatballs.

I too do a spanish omlette under the grill - I doubt very much the tapas police are losing any sleep ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poppy Seed wrote: »

I too do a spanish omlette under the grill - I doubt very much the tapas police are losing any sleep ;)

I thought the OP wanted to know about Spanish tapas? Oh well, we shall just call them tapas with an English twist.:)
  • Options
    saladcreamsaladcream Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HI,

yeah I am doing spanish tapas but will keep the others in mind for future reference! some good ideas there thanks.

My menu so far was...

Fresh bread with homemade garlic mayonaise
    Olives and Serrano Ham
    Salad of butter bean, tomato and Red onion topped with fried chorizo
    Spanish Omelette
    Chorizo fried with black pepper and red wine
    Patatas Bravas
    Paella
    Garlic Prawns
    Meatballs
    Garlic mushrooms with manchego cheese.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saladcream wrote: »
    HI,

yeah I am doing spanish tapas but will keep the others in mind for future reference! some good ideas there thanks.

My menu so far was...

Fresh bread with homemade garlic mayonaise
    Olives and Serrano Ham
    Salad of butter bean, tomato and Red onion topped with fried chorizo
    Spanish Omelette
    Chorizo fried with black pepper and red wine
    Patatas Bravas
    Paella
    Garlic Prawns
    Meatballs
    Garlic mushrooms with manchego cheese.
    Sounds like a gorgeous feast! Hope it goes well.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Don't think this is very authentic though. Where did you eat this?

Ibiza Old Town. Presumably Ibecencan? Spanish menu. I don't do Menus in English when abroad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ibiza Old Town. Presumably Ibecencan? Spanish menu. I don't do Menus in English when abroad.

Oh right. I wasn't having a go, I have never heard of this combination before. It might be an Ibiza dish then.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the OP wanted to know about Spanish tapas? Oh well, we shall just call them tapas with an English twist.:)

Hi CMK, when I was in Gibraltar I remember the incredible lamb Pinchitos the local bars would serve. I don't suppose you know how they are made. I've seen some recipes online but I wondered if there was a recipe peculiar to Gib? I tasted similar lamb kebabs in Tangier so maybe the bars in Gib use Moroccan cooks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi CMK, when I was in Gibraltar I remember the incredible lamb Pinchitos the local bars would serve. I don't suppose you know how they are made. I've seen some recipes online but I wondered if there was a recipe peculiar to Gib? I tasted similar lamb kebabs in Tangier so maybe the bars in Gib use Morrocan cooks?

As far as I know, they are Moroccan pinchitos we tend to have here. I could find out exactly what goes into them. In the local market, there are a couple of Moroccan butchers who prepare them in their delicious marinade, ready for us to bung them on the barbecue.
  • Options
    BlokefaceBlokeface Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really like Pimentos Del Padron.... just pray you don't get a real hot one!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just decided what I am having for dinner tonight. I am off out for tapas!! And I will be having the delicious pinchitos mentioned earlier.:)
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I know, they are Moroccan pinchitos we tend to have here. I could find out exactly what goes into them. In the local market, there are a couple of Moroccan butchers who prepare them in their delicious marinade, ready for us to bung them on the barbecue.

Cheers mate, that would be great if you could get the marinade recipe, much appreciated!:)
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Blokeface wrote: »
    Really like Pimentos Del Padron.... just pray you don't get a real hot one!!

Pray you can get them at all. Most restaurants over here have them on the menu, but when you order them, they've none left!

I've just come back from a week in Lanzarote. Pimientos de Padron on every menu over there, they are ten a penny!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't have tapas without boquerones (anchovies). Not the nasty tinned in olive oil variety though.
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Boquerones are fantastic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like chopitos.... miniature squids, battered and cooked whole. YUM !
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make the most divine patatas bravas using Nando's table sauce (not marinade) and baby new potatoes. Well done me!