Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. If we get some kind of chat going, I'd prefer a real voice conference call - it's getting to meet and know people better personally that I'd like. We already type our remarks for the forum. But I admit I am technologically challenged here. Perhaps we need to do this in steps.

2. Can anyone tell me exactly when "The Town" is playing on ITV?

It's on Wednesday from 9-10 UK time. Then again the following 2 Wednesdays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [2. Can anyone tell me exactly when "The Town" is playing on ITV?

Part 1 is this Wednesday, Dec. 5 at 9 pm British time. Part 2 is Dec.12 and Part 3, Dec.19.

Has anyone heard anything about MC appearing on any of the talk shows to promote it?[/QUOTE]

Oops - I didn't realize you answered. I haven't seen anything yet about talk shows.
  • Options
    Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Conniej wrote: »
    Part 1 is this Wednesday, Dec. 5 at 9 pm British time. Part 2 is Dec.12 and Part 3, Dec.19.

Has anyone heard anything about MC appearing on any of the talk shows to promote it?

Oops - I didn't realize you answered. I haven't seen anything yet about talk shows.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering about talk shows to promote The Town and thought he might avoid because of the Churchill cancellation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Blue-Eyes, I'm so very sorry for what you, your family and especially Millie are going through. My prayers and healing thoughts are with you all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blue-Eyes, I'm so very sorry for what you, your family and especially Millie are going through. My prayers and healing thoughts are with you all.

Thank You X
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I've never done the Skype thing before. Do you have to have a webcam on your PC?
    NewPark wrote: »
    Madmother, I think it's free one on one but if you try to add additional people, you have to be a "premium" member. At least if you're using visual as opposed to just phone,but that needs to be checked out.
    skype is also a phone service. You may need a mike for that, not sure, and my experience with it (we used it a lot to call back to the U.S. when in England last fall) is that the sound quality for the person on the other end is not great.

For visual, yes you need some kind of camera -- some laptops and ipads now have them built in, but others (such as my desktop) do not.
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I'm wondering if it might be easier to use some type of online chat. This way when someone types something during the chat their name will be right there - since we don't know each other's voices, we probably won't know who is saying what on an audio chat. The regular online chat would be easy to set up and just go on maybe once a week or so. We could say that the chat will be open say every Sunday evening from 6:00 - 8:00 Eastern time (or whenever we pick) and whoever can make it just shows up.

Not sure which ones are out there these days - I used to do it a lot with an online group I have been a part of for over 20 years now. Haven't done it in many years and can't remember which one it was. Just an idea, but I am also up for the phone one since I always have lots of minutes on my cell plan or the Skype one since I have can do that one on my iPad. :D
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Instant messenger is still out there, with group chats.

If there are a few of us, then sound only would probably be better as the picture quality would probably not be very good. If we do decide to use skype then evryone will need mics. Some laptops have integral mics.
    I'm not sure that we'd get anything extra if we just instant messaged each other. We could just use this forum.
    However, it does depend what's technologically possible and how much it would cost. If we were going to chat to each other regularly then costs need to be as low as possible (and I'd prefer free).
    I've got a gig on Friday so I'm a bit busy this week but I'll try to look into it over the weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact it was very easy to find out about Skype:
    If we want to video conference then one of us has to have Skype Premium (and we all need webcams).
    If we just want audio then we can conference call on skype free (max number of people is 25, I think).
    What do you think?
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many things of interest in this episode.

Louisa states her point of view very clearly -- once when she tells Danny that we're not programmed, and we make our own choices, surely. She'll say something similar to AR in S5. And when she tells Martin how much she admires Mark for "just going for it."

So I think we see the conflict that has to be resolved by S5 -- Martin has to recognize that he needs to change and that he can do it, and he has to overcome his fear of intimacy/involvement and just "go for it."

I just so much wonder how much they knew about or had plotted the rest of the story line by this point.

I hadn't noticed before the look of terror on Martin's face at the end when Louisa told him that she loved him too.

Question: after DM, LG and the Salvation army man have the brief scene in the waiting room, and LG pulls the Salvation Army man away, saying it had been a mistake to come there -- how did DM later know, so that he could tell Mark, that Julie's real name was Emma Lewis and that her mother was dying? The Salvation Army man did not get a chance to say this in the scene that we saw.

Also, how at this point does AJ know that "Marty" has a crush on Louisa? They've never actually had a public date, have they? or even a private one, really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madmother wrote: »
    In fact it was very easy to find out about Skype:
    If we want to video conference then one of us has to have Skype Premium (and we all need webcams).
    If we just want audio then we can conference call on skype free (max number of people is 25, I think).
    What do you think?

This sounds very promising, madmother. I'm thinking video is out (plus we might actually scare each other!) At the risk of flying too close to the sun (too much technology in the hands of too many DM fanatics), I'm hoping we can make this work. I guess we need to know exactly what people need to participate. Okay if I PM you? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And BTW, Martin hands Mark Mylow another tiny all-purpose specimen bottle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Yes! I can see the Doc being very sick, and Louisa nursing him back to health! ;):p:)

Your mind seems to work like mine. That might be scarey!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't do Skype because our Internet connection is too slow. Sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I can't do Skype because our Internet connection is too slow. Sorry.

I believe that Skype is not necessarily computer to computer but can be computer to phone -- I know that is true because that's how we did business last fall. What I don't know is if it can be computer to multiple phones. Madmother? If it can be, you are certainly eligible.

I'm sure it will take a while to work this all out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many things of interest in this episode.

Louisa states her point of view very clearly -- once when she tells Danny that we're not programmed, and we make our own choices, surely. She'll say something similar to AR in S5. And when she tells Martin how much she admires Mark for "just going for it."

So I think we see the conflict that has to be resolved by S5 -- Martin has to recognize that he needs to change and that he can do it, and he has to overcome his fear of intimacy/involvement and just "go for it."

I just so much wonder how much they knew about or had plotted the rest of the story line by this point.

I hadn't noticed before the look of terror on Martin's face at the end when Louisa told him that she loved him too.

Question: after DM, LG and the Salvation army man have the brief scene in the waiting room, and LG pulls the Salvation Army man away, saying it had been a mistake to come there -- how did DM later know, so that he could tell Mark, that Julie's real name was Emma Lewis and that her mother was dying? The Salvation Army man did not get a chance to say this in the scene that we saw.

Also, how at this point does AJ know that "Marty" has a crush on Louisa? They've never actually had a public date, have they? or even a private one, really.

I think the minghellas left the outline for the entire series. MC said the Germans were "way ahead" of UK in their story line. So they knew where it was going from day one. The fine tuning and actual writing takes place each filming year.

I think everyone in the village (except mark milow who takes a while to pick it up) realises in series 1 that DM is bowled over by LG. He bumps into wall and fumbles around when he's with her. The village doesn't need overt dates to watch. Although really early in in s1 they went to the pub together - not a date really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that Skype is not necessarily computer to computer but can be computer to phone -- I know that is true because that's how we did business last fall. What I don't know is if it can be computer to multiple phones. Madmother? If it can be, you are certainly eligible.

I'm sure it will take a while to work this all out.

I'll look into it. :)
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm....maybe Doc Martin needs to read this.

In top 300 occupations with best job satisfaction (100=very happy):

#176. Family & General Practitioners 55.8

bottom 300:

#58. Surgeons 45.0

Food for thought, doc!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I think the minghellas left the outline for the entire series. MC said the Germans were "way ahead" of UK in their story line. So they knew where it was going from day one. The fine tuning and actual writing takes place each filming year.

I think everyone in the village (except mark milow who takes a while to pick it up) realises in series 1 that DM is bowled over by LG. He bumps into wall and fumbles around when he's with her. The village doesn't need overt dates to watch. Although really early in in s1 they went to the pub together - not a date really.

I think you may be right about the Minghellas leaving an outline. It seems like they had one worked out pretty much as soon as they realized it was likely to continue to be recommissioned. But I doubt that a series that has them married and "seriously cohabiting" was on the drawing board until fairly recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For some reason this link keeps changing and adding the ****'s to the URL I paste. Not sure why. :confused:

This is the part that's the problem:

unrealitytv
    co
    uk

I had to take out the . between each part or it still shows ***'s - weird!
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason this link keeps changing and adding the ****'s to the URL I paste. Not sure why. :confused:

This is the part that's the problem:

unrealitytv
    co
    uk

I had to take out the . between each part or it still shows ***'s - weird!

See if this works - take out the "*" and substitute "unrealitytv" without the quote marks. Sheesh!

http://primetime.*.co.uk/the-town-andrew-scott-and-martin-clunes-shine-in-this-new-itv-drama/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's time for Martin to choose or create a truly sexy role for himself. I find him very enigmatic as a man who seems to have endless confidence in who he is and whate he does, then denigrates himself and his work by calling himself "funny looking" and, more recently, claiming he's really a character actor. Maybe in some way he's never really gotten away from the little boy who was sent away by his mom and wet the bed. As gifted as he is as a comedic actor, I think he stretches himself more in dramas. I still think he also would be great as a detective a la Inspector Morse - flawed, but very compelling.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's time for Martin to choose or create a truly sexy role for himself. I find him very enigmatic as a man who seems to have endless confidence in who he is and whate he does, then denigrates himself and his work by calling himself "funny looking" and, more recently, claiming he's really a character actor. Maybe in some way he's never really gotten away from the little boy who was sent away by his mom and wet the bed. As gifted as he is as a comedic actor, I think he stretches himself more in dramas. I still think he also would be great as a detective a la Inspector Morse - flawed, but very compelling.

I recently bought a used dvd of MC in Goodbye Mr. Chips. (available as Region 2 dvd only). What an incredible interpretation of this classic--he plays Mr. Chips throughout from a 28 year old Latin teacher coming to Brookfield School through a 80 year old. Although he was a little heavier, nonetheless, it didn't matter. The actress Victoria Hamilton who played the part of his wife was just an adorable actress--and that important thing--the chemistry he had with her during this film was there--just like MC and CC in the Doc Martin series.
    As an aside - Julian Fellows of Downton Abbey fame, has been tapped to write, (I don't think a series) about the Guilded Age of New York. I don't know if that has been sent out as a feeler by his agent or what. I would prefer if he get into talks with MC about a character (not comical) set entirely in England.
This discussion has been closed.