Just-Eat Remove Alcohol Delivery Services

HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On Monday, the takeaway ordering website Just-Eat removed all alcohol/drinks and grocery businesses from their website, which I thought was a shame - citing wishing to focus on takeaway food only.

Did you ever order booze through JE?

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    maybe someone`ll start "just get pissed" in its wake.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Love it :D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

They have that and they also deliver condoms and cigarettes. I think it is called "Munchies 2 U".
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    On Monday, the takeaway ordering website Just-Eat removed all alcohol/drinks and grocery businesses from their website, which I thought was a shame - citing wishing to focus on takeaway food only.

Did you ever order booze through JE?
    Never knew they did that anyway.

There's only one takeaway in town that is licensed.
    It was quite a suprise when we looked at the menu and saw them offering lager, alcopops and bottles of vokda (but at £15 for 75cl it's a non starter).

There is a nice takeaway/cafe in Newcastle that has lager on draft and does a nice cheesy garlic sauce
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there is a Chinese takeaway in my area on the site that also sells alcohol . i have in the past on one occasion ordered just alcohol from there as i was already too drunk too drive and my partner cannot .

it was more expensive than what it is in the supermarket but i was glad to pay it and have it delivered too the front door .
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    From what i''ve seen JustEat don't even bother checking that their restaurants exist so checking to see if they had a licence to sell alcohol was probably a step too far.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what i''ve seen JustEat don't even bother checking that their restaurants exist so checking to see if they had a licence to sell alcohol was probably a step too far.

Could I just ask what makes you say this?

As I've had a really weird experience recently with a place on Just Eat. It's got loads of reviews and is supposedly on my road. But there is no restaurant at this address!
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I didn't even know they offered that service.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »

As I've had a really weird experience recently with a place on Just Eat. It's got loads of reviews and is supposedly on my road. But there is no restaurant at this address!

There was thing on BBC Watchdog earlier in the year about some restaurants on Just-Eat actually just being a kitchen in a house. Like you and me cooking up a curry and selling it on Just-Eat under a restaurant name. The Watchdog report found that Just-Eat wasn't actually checking if these restaurants were real restaurants. Pretty much anyone could sign up by the sounds of it. I'm not sure what procedures they have in place now to stop this.
    Forum Member

As mentioned below, lots of them are just people cooking out of their kitchens and delivering it to you, so no food hygiene certificates, no license nothing!
  • bananasplitbananasplit Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

on my local Just Eat - 2 Indian Restaurants, 2 different addresses (both on Main Street - but 20 numbers apart) - I've ordered from both.

there is only ONE - I've been there and stood across the road - and searched, and searched - thought I was going off my head!!
    till the delivery driver informed me - I should check both of them before ordering, for special offers, free delivery, that sort of thing. ONE restaurant x 2 names and addresses :confused:

have no idea why :confused:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    on my local Just Eat - 2 Indian Restaurants, 2 different addresses (both on Main Street - but 20 numbers apart) - I've ordered from both.

there is only ONE - I've been there and stood across the road - and searched, and searched - thought I was going off my head!!
    till the delivery driver informed me - I should check both of them before ordering, for special offers, free delivery, that sort of thing. ONE restaurant x 2 names and addresses :confused:

have no idea why :confused:
    Are you sure it's not just a seperate kitchen?

We have a takeaway like that in town.
    In the main one is where you order and they cook up all the chips, burgers, pizzas, chicken, kebabs etc.
    If you order Indian then they cook it across the road and a staff member or even the bouncer goes and collects it and brings it across.

Both takeaways are listed but one is never open and has a sign to say to go over the road.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Never knew they did that anyway.

There's only one takeaway in town that is licensed.
    It was quite a suprise when we looked at the menu and saw them offering lager, alcopops and bottles of vokda (but at £15 for 75cl it's a non starter).

There is a nice takeaway/cafe in Newcastle that has lager on draft and does a nice cheesy garlic sauce

You'd be suprised :D

I was keeping a low'ish profile on the whole thing but I run an alcohol delivery business that was on Just-Eat until the beginning of last week.

The cheapest vodka I sell is £16.99 - people pay it for the convenience. Besides which, we'd make less on that than you might think.

There's a reasonable chance it could be an unregistered, illegal food business - you should contact your local council to check.
    petit-pois wrote: »
    There was thing on BBC Watchdog earlier in the year about some restaurants on Just-Eat actually just being a kitchen in a house. Like you and me cooking up a curry and selling it on Just-Eat under a restaurant name. The Watchdog report found that Just-Eat wasn't actually checking if these restaurants were real restaurants. Pretty much anyone could sign up by the sounds of it. I'm not sure what procedures they have in place now to stop this.

Just-Eat send a rep round to your business to give you the terminal (and for the contract to be signed etc).

It's perfectly possible for a domestic premises to be a legally registered food business - so if these places claimed to be registered and put on a good show, Just-Eat could have easily been fooled. Although they attended our office (it's an alcohol delivery business, not a food takeaway) they never actually asked to see papers confirming we were licensed or registered.
    As mentioned below, lots of them are just people cooking out of their kitchens and delivering it to you, so no food hygiene certificates, no license nothing!

It's perfectly possible to run a takeaway as a kitchen-only establishment, legally, as long as it's registered and complies with food hygiene law and the like.

Obviously as it's transpired, quite a few of them aren't registered, but it doesn't mean that they are all illegal and dodgy - far from it, it sounds as if the situation was misjudged and a fair few have turned out to be perfectly legitimate establishments.

The hardest thing to pull I'd imagine would be a change-of-use in the planning permission, which I'd have thought would be needed and might be hard for most ordinary terraced houses.
  • dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the things will be licensing as Just eat would need a premises licence due to card payments going through them but they are not the place of sale and the other would be takeaways delivering beer and taking payment at the door again a no no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised Just Eat have removed all the late night alcohol delivery services as they had a lot on there. I wonder what the reason for this is. There are drinks delivery services on Hungry House so you can still get booze delivered. Or take a look at http://www.24houralcohol.co.uk to see if there is a shop that sells alcohol 24 hours near you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dids858 wrote: »
    One of the things will be licensing as Just eat would need a premises licence due to card payments going through them but they are not the place of sale and the other would be takeaways delivering beer and taking payment at the door again a no no.

Not sure why that means they should remove them all.

We have a licence - if they had asked to look, they could have done so.

Delivering beer and taking payment at the door is absolutely fine unless there's a condition in your licence which says otherwise.
    nwlondoner wrote: »
    I'm surprised Just Eat have removed all the late night alcohol delivery services as they had a lot on there. I wonder what the reason for this is. There are drinks delivery services on Hungry House so you can still get booze delivered. Or take a look at http://www.24houralcohol.co.uk to see if there is a shop that sells alcohol 24 hours near you.

That 24 Hour Alcohol website is crap. It seems to list mainly supermarkets and not actual alcohol delivery businesses. I tried to get my business listed on it before but they just never responded to emails, I think it's been 'abandoned'. It doesn't look as if it's been updated for some time.

ETA: We're not on Hungryhouse as they essentially charge the same amounts of money as JustEat - but provide an inferior service. Not sure why they think they can command such a high price-tag seeing as they are the 'second best'.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to live near a Chinese takeaway where if you were a regular customer, gave them a wink and asked for "special tea" then they got you a can of lager from under the counter.
    Forum Member
    nwlondoner wrote: »

That website doesn't even cover my area.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a shame, but there are plenty of others that do. The last time I ordered late booze from Just eat it never turned up anyway.
  • bananasplitbananasplit Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not just a seperate kitchen?

We have a takeaway like that in town.
    In the main one is where you order and they cook up all the chips, burgers, pizzas, chicken, kebabs etc.
    If you order Indian then they cook it across the road and a staff member or even the bouncer goes and collects it and brings it across.

Both takeaways are listed but one is never open and has a sign to say to go over the road.
    I have no idea - only know, everytime I'm in town, I search for the one 'that just isn't there' :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Not sure why that means they should remove them all.

Perhaps it was issues with alcohol being supplied to under 18's when they're handling payments?

I've never once been asked by a driver from just eat to verify it was my card the order was placed with (despite them being supposed to I think?) or ask for any ID. I know my little delinquent of a brother orders booze on there for this very reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it was issues with alcohol being supplied to under 18's when they're handling payments?

I've never once been asked by a driver from just eat to verify it was my card the order was placed with (despite them being supposed to I think?) or ask for any ID. I know my little delinquent of a brother orders booze on there for this very reason.

Maybe.. although that really is a job for local councils/licensing to test-purchase and fine/prosecute the offenders - rather than just blanket bans on a whole 'industry'. It's such a blunt instrument.

We operate Challenge 25. If we don't, we could lose our licence!