Options

Jobseekers in Manchester to be given free travel

clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
Forum Member
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-jobseekers-given-free-bus-6738463

I am in favour of this I see it as investment when I was unemployed and then got work I had to borrow from my Mum but if I'd not been able to do that I would have had to turn the job down (yes it was too far to walk)
However going by the comments on facebook and the result of the poll a lot of people don't agree.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would be better if they were given a car instead. Hate public transport.
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit like the London Freedom Pass then?
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Good idea, if it helps them find work, get to interviews
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see a problem, lets face it the cost of transport is a luxury and not in many peoples means.

Well OAP's get it, and I don't mind, so why not for someone looking for a job?
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good idea. It will enable people to apply for jobs further afield thus opening new doors to them.
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spoty wrote: »
    I don't see a problem, lets face it the cost of transport is a luxury and not in many peoples means.

Well OAP's get it, and I don't mind, so why not for someone looking for a job?

On the Island people people get 1/2 travel if they are on JSA with a monthly ticket costing 85 quid there is no way unemployed people can afford it in fact people on min wage have a problem with these prices they now also get reduced fares on the Hovercraft
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarribo wrote: »
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-jobseekers-given-free-bus-6738463

I am in favour of this I see it as investment when I was unemployed and then got work I had to borrow from my Mum but if I'd not been able to do that I would have had to turn the job down (yes it was too far to walk)
    However going by the comments on facebook and the result of the poll a lot of people don't agree.

Good idea. If prince william can hitch a free helicopter ride, all common benefits claimaint should.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    No problem with this at all. But they should be made to stand. Seating should be for the hard-working taxpayer only.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    A great idea...the sort of incentives to help the unemployed into work. Rather than reducing and stopping their benefits which are already meagre, let them spend the little they have a little more adequately and help to fund their job search a bit more independently. The Government would be surprised if they actually worked with the unemployed - people are surprisingly open to cooperating when given a proper chance to do so.

I've not had a penny of my JSA since mid-January - I was sanctioned for a number of reasons including my jobsearch sheet not including reference numbers for vacancies and because I filled out a Job Centre form on my phone, the auto-correct accidentally put my postcode into lower case.
    I was threatened with a further sanction if I didn't attend a following-day interview in London, but had no means to travel into the city and I live 13 miles out of it. I commented that they couldn't seriously suggest I walk it or something stupid, and the adviser's response was 'it would clock in a good few hours of your weekly job search'. :o They amaze me at how they continue to find new ways of appalling me.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a great idea. Public transport costs a fortune these days and it's a struggle for many unemployed people to find the money to travel to interviews.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    No problem with this at all. But they should be made to stand. Seating should be for the hard-working taxpayer only.

Ahem, whose to say that the job seeker hasn't been a hard-working tax payer for many, many years in the past?

Even then it's quite besides the point - having a job doesn't grant you some kind of superiority over somebody who doesn't. The unemployed account for less than 5% of the national welfare budget too, so quite frankly I've not heard anything quite as ludicrously pompous as what you are suggesting.

If you want a guaranteed seat, then consider yourself lucky enough to have a wage and find a way of budgeting for a seat in First Class or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ahem, whose to say that the job seeker hasn't been a hard-working for many, many years in the past?

Even then it's quite besides the point - having a job doesn't grant you some kind of superiority over somebody who doesn't. The unemployed account for less than 5% of the national welfare budget too, so quite frankly I've not heard anything quite as ludicrously pompous as what you are suggesting.

I was taking the piss a bit that's all. :D
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now this is a very, very good idea. Pity we don't have much in the way of public transport for them to use over here....................:D
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think free travel for people seeking jobs is a great idea.

Edit...as long as it is only given to proven journeys of seeking a job.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading how they're going to actually do it, it's a very good idea.
    They will include free one-day bus passes to get to interviews and free 28-day bus or Metrolink passes for the first four weeks of a new job.

For the next 12 weeks of work, travel will be discounted.

That's a near perfect way of doing it IMO. The first month is always the hardest with increased costs for everything so to take travelling out of that is a great idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reading how they're going to actually do it, it's a very good idea.

That's a near perfect way of doing it IMO. The first month is always the hardest with increased costs for everything so to take travelling out of that is a great idea.

We do things right in this neck of the woods.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    flower 2 wrote: »
    I think free travel for people seeking jobs is a great idea.

In many areas, such as here, it's actually cheaper to give us doleys a weekly pass than two or three days individual tickets.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always said people on JSA etc should be given free bus passes to get to interviews/JC etc. I then think it should be available to them until their first wage and then taken back. Many times when I was unemployed (I didn't get any benefits right enough) I couldn't afford bus fare to interviews and having to ask people was embarrassing.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

how do they prove that though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how do they prove that though

By their prospective employers confirming that they attended for interview.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In many areas, such as here, it's actually cheaper to give us doleys a weekly pass than two or three days individual tickets.

I can understand that, but, we already have people thinking that job seekers are 'not seeking' and maybe the thought of them not seeking but getting from a to b for free might just start a RIOT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I can understand that, but, we already have people thinking that job seekers are 'not seeking' and maybe the thought of them not seeking but getting from a to b for free might just start a RIOT.

Well, they'd be idiots.

Giving JSA claimants the ability to get around much easier is probably far more likely to help many get of the dole than the £7bn odd failing Work Programme, and would probably be cheaper in the long run too. :D
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    This should be UK wide! certainly would help me with all the bus, train and taxi fairs that swallow up my money and efforts looking for work/going to interviews/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    clarribo wrote: »

I don't agree. As the late Norman Tebbit quite rightly said ' Get on your effing bike' (or similar).

Nobody is prepared to walk further than the end of their bloody path these days.
  • Options
    KosciuskoKosciusko Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Glasgow has a similar scheme, for the job seekers

First bus jobseekers fare

Does anyone remember you could be a bunch of tickets from the post office, to use on the bus...ub40-bus travel