Choosing a good wine

sands11sands11 Posts: 700
Forum Member
✭✭
Any wine connoisseurs on here.

Actually I would just like to know some good fairly cheap wines. I have no idea what to buy and they all seem to taste like vinegar.

Comments

• 80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    It depends what you consider cheap, to me anything under £6.00 is a cheap wine. I normally spend between £7.00 and £9.00 for a bottle of wine.

All the wine I buy are from the major supermarkets, I don't know a heck alot about wines but I do know what I like.

It all depends on my mood, I rarely go for a rose, I tend to stick to whites and reds.

I've had some delicious wines but unfortuately forget the name of them, tonight i've had a bottle of Hardy Crest Chardonnay, It was bit tart for me but OH loved it.

I do believe you get what you pay for.

When M and S do thier 'dine for a tenner ' deals, I have found Froglett to be a very nice wine included in the offer.

I normally go for 'Saturday Kitchens' recomendations, they normally taste 2 or 3 througout the programme and everyone seems to like them.

Including me:D
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    sands11 wrote: »
    Any wine connoisseurs on here.

Actually I would just like to know some good fairly cheap wines. I have no idea what to buy and they all seem to taste like vinegar.

if you think it tastes like vinegar, then stick to something you like.

The thing I like about wine is it varies so much in taste, just like real ale. If you want consistency, then go for the bog standard Jacob's Creek or big names (the equivalent to lager), but otherwise have a look at what you buy, and see what the grape type is. If you like it, then buy another one or two with the same grape type and see if you still like them.

Cabernet Sauvignon - easy drinking, fairly light red
    Shiraz - a bit of a heavier red, but can taste really good
    Sauvignon blanc - easy drinking white with a nice smell
    Chardonnay - go for a lighter couloured one - fairly easy white
    White zinfandel - nice fragrant rose

hope that helps
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always go for a decent bottle of Sauvignon Blanc for about £9 - Nobilo and Montana are 2 decent brands. Generally, for me, anything under £6 is undrinkable;)
  • coshamcosham Posts: 5,875
    Forum Member
    I would recommend these people have always been very good in my dealings with them.
    http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/default~navid~home~imi~TRADEDOUBLER~mscssid~76A7C88DE249444BA3CAC46E6AC89851.aspx
  • Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Tesco own make Chianti is nice .
  • sands11sands11 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone.

I have realised I will have to spend a bit more, I usually go for the really cheap under £5 stuff.

Will watch Saturday Kitchen too and see what they recommend and have a look at that website. I want some decent wine for Christmas not something that's like paint stripper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you think it tastes like vinegar, then stick to something you like.

The thing I like about wine is it varies so much in taste, just like real ale. If you want consistency, then go for the bog standard Jacob's Creek or big names (the equivalent to lager), but otherwise have a look at what you buy, and see what the grape type is. If you like it, then buy another one or two with the same grape type and see if you still like them.

Cabernet Sauvignon - easy drinking, fairly light red
    Shiraz - a bit of a heavier red, but can taste really good
    Sauvignon blanc - easy drinking white with a nice smell
    Chardonnay - go for a lighter couloured one - fairly easy white
    White zinfandel - nice fragrant rose

hope that helps

Aren't Cabernet Sauvignon's usually more full bodied red wines, with Bordeaux wines being the most famous excample of using a Cab Sav as the majoirty grape :confused:
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sainsburys have 2 good New Zealand wines Oyster Bay Chardonnay (£6.99) & Montana Sauvignon Blanc (£5.99) on Special Offer at present.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    Sainsburys have 2 good New Zealand wines Oyster Bay Chardonnay (£6.99) & Montana Sauvignon Blanc (£5.99) on Special Offer at present.

Majestic have Montana on at £4.99! I'm gonna stock up!:)
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    My wife worked in a wine shop and has various qualifications she had to get for the post.Heres the consensus,if you pay £5-6 on a bottle the wine is worth about 60 pence to a quid.The rest of the price is made up of transportation and storage costs.Once you reach a tenner a bottle you're getting a far far better quality of wine.Also when you see supermarkets saying they've slashed the price by half etc it's quite simply not true.Thats not how wine producers work.They don't sell wine at half the price to supermarkets at all so what you're getting in reality is really cheap wine.
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sands11 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.

I have realised I will have to spend a bit more, I usually go for the really cheap under £5 stuff.

Will watch Saturday Kitchen too and see what they recommend and have a look at that website. I want some decent wine for Christmas not something that's like paint stripper.

I did that until a few years ago, then feeling flush one day went into Tesco and bought six bottles of wine between £7.99 and £19.99. The first I tried was a £9.99 Tim Adams shiraz and was astounded at the difference with the cheap ones I had been buying from Laithwaites.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    My wife worked in a wine shop and has various qualifications she had to get for the post.Heres the consensus,if you pay £5-6 on a bottle the wine is worth about 60 pence to a quid.The rest of the price is made up of transportation and storage costs.Once you reach a tenner a bottle you're getting a far far better quality of wine.Also when you see supermarkets saying they've slashed the price by half etc it's quite simply not true.Thats not how wine producers work.They don't sell wine at half the price to supermarkets at all so what you're getting in reality is really cheap wine.

If they're only making 60p to £1 on a £5 bottle, how come I can buy wine for £3 in Sainsbury's.
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love villa maria sauvingnon blanc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    missloo wrote: »
    I love villa maria sauvingnon blanc

So do I! Also good are Oyster Bay, Nobilo and Marlborough Sauvignons.:)
  • F'Nar F'NarF'Nar F'Nar Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    South African wines are usually up there amongst the bargains. Aniston Bay Chardonnay is a nice wine at a nice price, as is Beyers Truter Pinotage which is a full bodied Red with plenty of clout!! :)

Check out some of the South American wines as well - particularly from Chile. These are often reasonably priced and are remarkably good for the money. :D
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    You will need to pay £6 upwards to get decent wine. If you shop in Sainsburys, most of their Taste the Difference wines are pretty good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    I highly recommend the HillTop Selection Sauvignon Blanc from Sainsburys. It's occasionaly on special offer and is a decent wine to treat yourself with. It's Hungarian, it was a fortunate 'pick it off the shelf and have a try' spur of the moment and turned out to be great.

Anyone else tried it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    You will need to pay £6 upwards to get decent wine. If you shop in Sainsburys, most of their Taste the Difference wines are pretty good.

I don't agree, there are perfectly decent wines out there for less than a fiver.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    michelob wrote: »
    Aren't Cabernet Sauvignon's usually more full bodied red wines, with Bordeaux wines being the most famous excample of using a Cab Sav as the majoirty grape :confused:

I agree, a Cabernet Sauvignon is a full-bodied wine with a fair amount of tanin too, I certainly wouldn't describe it as easy-drinking and fairly light!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree, there are perfectly decent wines out there for less than a fiver.

That depends on your definition of 'decent'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chessie wrote: »
    That depends on your definition of 'decent'.

I drink a lot of wine and I guarantee that most people will find a £5 bottle perfectly adequate. People who say you have to spend money on wine are just wine snobs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I drink a lot of wine and I guarantee that most people will find a £5 bottle perfectly adequate. People who say you have to spend money on wine are just wine snobs.

The £4.99 Montana Sauvignon Blanc currently at Majestic being a perfect example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The £4.99 Montana Sauvignon Blanc currently at Majestic being a perfect example.

Thank you.:)