Options

If viewers are such experts on 'acting ability'.

Josh StonemJosh Stonem Posts: 261
Forum Member
Then why aren't they working as producers of soaps hiring and firing actors?

Yes, we pay our licence fee, entitled to our opinion, actors in the public eye - open to criticism yadda yadda but how come the producers give these people jobs when the viewers are so 'matter of fact' about their lack of ability?

They need telling and explaining in technical terms (as so many viewers seem experts on) what they should be looking for in an actor as judging by the masses - they are getting it wrong time and again!

Which begs the question - why are we the viewers & they the producers when we know so much better??

Comments

• Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The number of drama experts on his forum makes me laugh. Unfortunately people are all too keen to blame any shortfalls on the actors when most of the time the fault lies with bad scriptwriting and directing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    The number of drama experts on his forum makes me laugh. Unfortunately people are all too keen to blame any shortfalls on the actors when most of the time the fault lies with bad scriptwriting and directing.

I agree.

I mean if I was such an expert on say 'lazy delivery of lines' or 'only one facial expression' - I should be in an acting job over James Sutton shouldn't I?

How come successive producers don't realise this information?
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because the soap operas won't give me a job, so I have to settle with the back-up plan of armchair critic :D
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »

Totally agree. (Not to mention the fact that a large proportion of DS 'experts' are clearly confusing their dislike of a character with the actor's acting ability.

(As an example, there are a number of very popular characters across the soap spectrum. Coincidentally, I have yet to see the actors of those characters criticised in any way).

Dear Soap Producers and Writers - please ignore us DS-ers. Generally, we know not of what we speak.

;)
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you honestly think liberty from hollyoaks is a good actress you need your eyes testing! She deserves all the criticism she gets its like she stumbled on set on day and the producers decided to let her stay. No expertise needed to know that. And you also don't have to be a critic to realise the moon goons and joey the plank can't act, they were hired for their looks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lewi26 wrote: »
    If you honestly think liberty from hollyoaks is a good actress you need your eyes testing! She deserves all the criticism she gets its like she stumbled on set on day and the producers decided to let her stay. And you also don't have to be a critic to realise the moon goons and joey the plank can't act, they were hired for their looks

Oh I've no doubt that sort of thing goes on.

Anthony Cotton though - what's his secret to constant work?
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He has dirt on tony warren or someone high up at ITV - their can be no other explanation! :D
  • Options
    Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Lewi26 wrote: »
    If you honestly think liberty from hollyoaks is a good actress you need your eyes testing! She deserves all the criticism she gets its like she stumbled on set on day and the producers decided to let her stay. No expertise needed to know that. And you also don't have to be a critic to realise the moon goons and joey the plank can't act, they were hired for their looks

I don't mean to appear unkind but the current Moon brothers are De Niro and Brando compared to Spencer....
  • Options
    EnterEnter Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Does this mean we shouldn't judge contestants who enter The X Factor? Afterall, we're not sat on the panel and the majority of us know sod all about singing. What about Dancing on Ice? Strictly Come Dancing? The Voice?

I cannot tell the difference between Beyonce and Katy Perry because I'm not a singer and do not own my own record company...
    Also, I dislike some TV presenters because I think they have as much charisma as a fart. I better keep such opinions to myself though since I'm not a producer or presenter myself.
    I think some "professional" footballers suck, but since I'm not a manager or a professional footballer myself, I best not comment on it because what do I know? :rolleyes:

What a silly thread. Just because the majority of us aren't experts in acting, doesn't mean we cannot have an opinion on it.

People seem to forget that even though there's a fair bit of negativity on this forum, there's also lots of positives too. I can name at least 40 actors off the top of my head who get raving reviews about their acting on here constantly. Is your view on those who praise actors the same view as those who criticise because surely they're not "qualified" to judge either?

What's up? Has your favourite character become a victim of Digital Spy so you're hitting out? It's a discussion board, I suggest you get use to such topics being discussed and suck it up.

Edit: Is this a wind up? You create this thread and several posts later you're slating the acting of an actor? Hilarious.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bad acting is easy to spot. THey come across as reading lines rather then acting them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enter wrote: »
    Does this mean we shouldn't judge contestants who enter The X Factor? Afterall, we're not sat on the panel and the majority of us know sod all about singing. What about Dancing on Ice? Strictly Come Dancing? The Voice?

I cannot tell the difference between Beyonce and Katy Perry because I'm not a singer and do not own my own record company...
    Also, I dislike some TV presenters because I think they have as much charisma as a fart. I better keep such opinions to myself though since I'm not a producer or presenter myself.
    I think some "professional" footballers suck, but since I'm not a manager or a professional footballer myself, I best not comment on it because what do I know? :rolleyes:

What a silly thread. Just because the majority of us aren't experts in acting, doesn't mean we cannot have an opinion on it.

People seem to forget that even though there's a fair bit of negativity on this forum, there's also lots of positives too. I can name at least 40 actors off the top of my head who get raving reviews about their acting on here constantly. Is your view on those who praise actors the same view as those who criticise because surely they're not "qualified" to judge either?

What's up? Has your favourite character become a victim of Digital Spy so you're hitting out? It's a discussion board, I suggest you get use to such topics being discussed and suck it up.

Edit: Is this a wind up? You create this thread and several posts later you're slating the acting of an actor? Hilarious.

This This This all day long! I think this thread is an excuse for someone to have a go at FM's! :sleep:

The only thing you need is eyes and ears you dont have to be an expert to see that someone is completely usless! The likes of Sean (CS) Tyler, Joey (EE) Robbie (ED) have had all the decent writing under the sun and they havnt cut it on screen just because they lack the acting skills required you dont need to be an expert to see that!
  • Options
    Forum Member

I never said I didn't partake in it myself did I?

I just find it funny when some people are so 'matter of fact' in their opinions and throw in some technical terms to boot - not that they were downright wrong.

Lighten up a bit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This This This all day long! I think this thread is an excuse for someone to have a go at FM's! :sleep:

The only thing you need is eyes and ears you dont have to be an expert to see that someone is completely usless! The likes of Sean (CS) Tyler, Joey (EE) Robbie (ED) have had all the decent writing under the sun and they havnt cut it on screen just because they lack the acting skills required you dont need to be an expert to see that!

These. Says it all really :sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So how come the producers don't see what the viewers do sometimes?
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So, it's not ok for DS forum members to think they know crap acting when they see it but you can?

You don't have to be an expert to know bad acting. If someone is unnatural and unconvincing, then it's crappy acting.

I don't have to be a food expert to know when the food is off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how come the producers don't see what the viewers do sometimes?

I've been asking that about Eastenders for a good 2-3 years now. :D They don't seem to see how shite the show is.
  • Options
    dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    im doing a course in television and digital film production, What i find that producers lacks these days are love for the show and its past also listening to what the fans want, every new ep wants to put his stamp on the show without thinking of what the fans will think which ends up in a resenment against the show or character
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    So, it's not ok for DS forum members to think they know crap acting when they see it but you can?

You don't have to be an expert to know bad acting. If someone is unnatural and unconvincing, then it's crappy acting.

I don't have to be a food expert to know when the food is off.

I didn't say it wasn't ok.

I hinted at such on my op but also kept it ambiguous enough to be able to defend myself once these inevitable accusations arrived.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say it wasn't ok.

I hinted at such on my op but also kept it ambiguous enough to be able to defend myself once these inevitable accusations arrived.

You've answered your own question then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad acting?
    One word.

Dev
  • Options
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    You've answered your own question then.

Then opened it up for discussion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sent my CV to the Beeb , stating I could do a better job .

Just waiting for a reply .
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember to say you love the Brannings when you go for your interview Klendathu. It's the only way through the door. Then when you get in office you know what to do! - Branning clear out!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes to in depth review of performances, like if you're comparing the performance of two fantastic Bafta nominees or something then a bit of expertise and knowledge goes a long way and they'll know a lot more than any armchair critic if those performances were successful or not.

However, when it comes to people who simply can't act then anyone can spot it. That's where soaps come in because you don't have to be great but competent enough to carry a story. So the ones who sound like they're reading cue cards can be spotted a mile away.

Kind of like a food critic is more 'qualified' to judge the quality of food and compare dishes with each other. But when it comes to food that is not cooked properly at all, anyone can spot it.

:D That's my view on it anyway.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    bad acting is easy to spot. THey come across as reading lines rather then acting them.
    And good actors make their character believable, with facial expressions and emotions that appear natural (and not false or forced),