Options

Any pro musicians/singers on here?What's the job situation like for you?

chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
Forum Member
Has the credit crunch made a difference to your bookings?
Have you had to seek part time/full time day jobs instead?
How the heck are you making ends meet?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband is a musician and has had less work since before Christmas.

Assuming you are also a performer and getting less bookings, are you optimistic that things will turn around any time soon?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My husband is a musician and has had less work since before Christmas.

Assuming you are also a performer and getting less bookings, are you optimistic that things will turn around any time soon?

You assume correctly :)
    I am a pro singer.
    I have good days and bad.
    I have just managed to secure a semi residency at a local restaurant, but because their bookings are down they are paying peanuts and aren't offering many nights a week.
    But it's better than nothing.
    To be honest I have sent off apps for a few part time day jobs.
    And I was just wondering how fellow pro's were finding it.

'cause there's always the thought in your mind that you are the only one it's happening to. :)
    What do you & your husband think about it picking up or getting worse?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see much getting better right now but hopefully it will change before too long. He does teach in the days which means we can get by. I guess depending on what your outlook on the profession is, you always have some hope that you might get a break somehow.

Have you thought about looking to get work abroad? Maybe you could look at cruise ships or similar and see if they can offer you something more settled.

It's good that you have something regular here though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't see much getting better right now but hopefully it will change before too long. He does teach in the days which means we can get by. I guess depending on what your outlook on the profession is, you always have some hope that you might get a break somehow.

Have you thought about looking to get work abroad? Maybe you could look at cruise ships or similar and see if they can offer you something more settled.

It's good that you have something regular here though :)

I'm not looking for a break - just work. Don't want to be famous etc. Just happy to be able to sing for my living. :)
    And I've managed ok so far it's just that work seems to have dried up overnight. :(

Agents have things pretty much stitched up with cruises etc.
    I have an Agent but even he says all the Pro's on his books have their heads in their hands at the moment.
    The semi pro's are ok because their day jobs are keeping them afloat.
    As said, I am interested in how other Pro's are managing or not managing whichever the case may be.

Its good that your Husband can make his living from teaching as well. Hope he can get some gigs too.

Maybe when Spring comes things will pick up?