Options

Desperate Housewives : Rate the Seasons

robjames69robjames69 Posts: 2,394
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So after reading a similar Bad Girls thread i thought id start this..

I rate the seasons as follows;

7 (so far)

I found the early seasons very good, but from the 3rd its been shakey, a lot of continuity errors and flaws in the plots, also the mysterys havn't been as good. The 4th season was amazing, Flecity Huffman was outstanding with the cancer and tornado storylines, and I thought Eva Longoria showed a lot of brilliance. The plots were excellent too and not to samey samey.
However, I have to say Season 5 and 6 were shockingly bad. Very disapointing. maybe thats an overrreaction but I feel they are of less quiality.
Season 7 is actually fairly good, some nice new fresh plots as well as a lot of reflection on previous seasons. I hear it may be the final season too as ABC are yet to re-new dezzy.

What you lot think?

Comments

• Options
    Sensual LettuceSensual Lettuce Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go......

• Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    Can someone give me a brief run down on the major story for each season, as I can't quite remember them all. Thanks. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »
    Can someone give me a brief run down on the major story for each season, as I can't quite remember them all. Thanks. :)

OK...

Season One
    The suicide mystery of Mary-Alice, and the connection between Paul-Zach-Mike. The murder of Martha Huber. The whole Susan/Mike/Edie triangle. Gaby's affair with John.

Season Two.
    The Applewhite mystery. Bree's alcoholism. Andrew v Bree. Carlos' imprisonment. Felicia getting revenge on Paul.

Season Three
    Gaby and Carlos' seperation, Edie and Carlos' relationship. The Orson/Mike saga with his mom and ex-wife. The shooting at the supermarket. The opening of Scavos.

Season Four
    The whole Kathrine Mayfair storyline, Susans pregnancy/Mikes drug addicition. The tornado episode. Lynettes cancer battle and her battle with Kayla. Gaby and Carlos' reunion. Orson and Bree seperation. Carlos blind.

Season Five
    5-year-jump. The whole Dave mystery. Edie's death. The fire at the club whodunnit. Kathrine/Mike story.

Season Six
    Bolen mystery. Airplane crash. Lynettes pregancy. The fairview strangler storyline.

Season Seven
    The babyswap. Paul Youngs return and revenge. Bree/Keith relationship. Susan and Mikes money problems.

obviously i've missed a lot out but thats the jist...
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Since when is this a soap??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One
    Three
    Two
    Five
    Four
    Seven
    Six
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the quality dropped after the time jump. The 3rd season for me was brilliant, but the mystery ended half way through because of Marcia Cross's pregnancy so the rest of the season felt like it was just filled up with plots to kill time, so it misses out on top stop. :p The episode 'Bang' in season 3 is my favourite episode ever.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's mine, in order of preference:

Season 1 - Can't beat the mystery of the housewife who killed herself and lived to talk about it. :p

Season 7 - Everything season 2 should've been, but with a nice decade in between. I love how they still manage to develop the characters seven seasons on and how they can bring back any guest star they bloody well please. Love Lynette's mum!

Season 3 - Bang! Roseanne's sister shooting up the supermarket was epic. I cried. The season also featured Designing Women's Dixie Carter and Mad Men's John Slattery as the main villains. Respect!

Season 4 - Dana Delany's debut season. The one she was good in. Very good season, but ended with a 5-year time jump for a reason.

Season 2 - Very eventful season. The season mystery was a bit of a disaster. Loved Bree's and Gaby's storylines. I cried when Gaby's adopted baby was taken from her. However, not such a great season for Lynette. Albeit, a very unique season for her as we saw her at work most of the time, but it wasn't really that thrilling. Also, an awful season for Susan whose spleenapalooza was as filler as it gets. They're kinda repeating themselves in season 7 with the kidney storyline, but at least I feel they're doing it properly this time.

Season 6 - Drea DeMatteo. John Barrowman. And a friendly lesbian stripper. Can't say it wasn't interesting, but certainly wasn't one of the best. Provided an exit for Katherine, which I feel improved the quality of the show.

Season 5 - The season felt as real as Lynette's hair. The time jump took an instant toll on the quality of the show, but I do feel that in the end it payed off. Not during this season though. Whether it was a blind Carlos massaging an old crazy lady or Edie being electrocuted to death, there's was just something off about this season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazellis wrote: »

since when was Bad Girls but theirs a thread on that every day...

Interesting a lot of mixed views on Season 7, but generally it seems people rate it more than 5 and 6. i wish they didnt jump in some ways as its caused a huge decline in the show, but then i guess it could have been a bigger decline had they not.

Season 1 was always gonna win, its the original.

My favorite episodes include 'Bang' but I have to be honest the tornado episode for me is just amazing, and the following episode, Ida's death had me hemoraging tears!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I liked seasons 5 and 6.. But I started watching half way through 4 when the tornado struck so. I really didn't like season two, They just didn't interest me (:
    And as far as I know, the show already has commision for season 8 which was done at the same time as 7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ipretty sure i read ABC may not reknew. they have the rights to a seasn 8 and 9 if they choose to recomission it.

also, last sunday DH had its lowest ever rating with just 9m.

Season averages in US:
    1 - 23.69m
    2 - 21.70m
    3 - 17.50m
    4 - 17.91m
    5 - 15.66m
    6 - 14.13m
    7 - 12.52m
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    S1 - First season set the tone of what made this so unique and quirky.

S3 - I loved most of this season, especially the Edie/Carlos relationship, as it developed her character a lot, and the supermarket shoot-out which was one of the best episodes of television; loved Orson's wacky Mom, and his crazy ex-wife trying to drown Bree, and get pregnant, respectfully. I thought Tom suited the pizzeria, and loved that whole set-up.

S7 - From the first half that I've seen, I've loved it all. The riot episode comes second to the supermarket shoot-out in awesomeness; loved Paul Young's return, the baby switch, Susan's job, Bree & Keith. DH is back to its best.

S2 - I always rated this season quite highly, mostly b/c I loved the Bree/Andrew story, and I really wanted to like the Applewhites, but really this season wasn't that good. Not terrible, just a lack of direction for the year's mystery which fell apart. Susan's stories sucked, but I did like seeing Lynette at work. Oh, and Orson was an unhinged dentist who mowed down Mike... 'Nuff said on that.

S4 - This is where it all went wrong for me. The Katherine mystery left me cold, Mike's drug addiction was rushed through, Tom was revealed to have a secret family, and his secret daughter Kayla was shoved into the Scarvos lives - a demon child who was irritating, and represented a story that tainted Tom's character. Thankfully, his double life has never been mentioned again. Pointless. The tornado was epic, but overrated IMO.

S6 - The scenes that stood out for me were Bree & Orson's heart-to-heart, where he was about to wheel himself into the pool - very emotional and well written/acted. I actually liked the Bolens towards the end, and by now I was a big fan of Katherine, so I was sad to see her go; also loved Robin, who reminded me of Edie. But, I felt Lynette's pregnancy was a step backwards, the plane crash was a stunt for sweeps sake, and the follow up, look-what-might-have-been episode was awful and pointless. The Fairview Strangler mystery was lame and under played - who cares that it was some random kid who every housewife had just so happened to come into contact with at some point during his life - contrived beyond belief. Oh, and Julie having an affair with a married man!? So out of character.

S5 - Horrible. The five year jump was a mess, and they inflicted the horrendous Dave upon us, and killed off Edie in an unforgiving exit; the club fire was lame. I did like Mike & Katherine, and was seriously disappointed that he ended up with Susan. Gaby continued to be the bright spot in what was the worst season ever.
    robjames69 wrote: »
    Obviously i've missed a lot out but thats the jist...
    Thanks - a gist is exactly what I wanted to refresh my memory.
    bazellis wrote: »
    It's about as soapy as a show gets. And if Casualty and Holby and Bad Girls can be classed as soaps, then so can DH. But the thread has been moved now, so clearly some don't think it is. What does it have to do to be classed as soap? Air all year round? That's not how US prime time soaps work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S1 - First season set the tone of what made this so unique and quirky.

S3 - I loved most of this season, especially the Edie/Carlos relationship, as it developed her character a lot, and the supermarket shoot-out which was one of the best episodes of television; loved Orson's wacky Mom, and his crazy ex-wife trying to drown Bree, and get pregnant, respectfully. I thought Tom suited the pizzeria, and loved that whole set-up.

S7 - From the first half that I've seen, I've loved it all. The riot episode comes second to the supermarket shoot-out in awesomeness; loved Paul Young's return, the baby switch, Susan's job, Bree & Keith. DH is back to its best.

S2 - I always rated this season quite highly, mostly b/c I loved the Bree/Andrew story, and I really wanted to like the Applewhites, but really this season wasn't that good. Not terrible, just a lack of direction for the year's mystery which fell apart. Susan's stories sucked, but I did like seeing Lynette at work. Oh, and Orson was an unhinged dentist who mowed down Mike... 'Nuff said on that.

S4 - This is where it all went wrong for me. The Katherine mystery left me cold, Mike's drug addiction was rushed through, Tom was revealed to have a secret family, and his secret daughter Kayla was shoved into the Scarvos lives - a demon child who was irritating, and represented a story that tainted Tom's character. Thankfully, his double life has never been mentioned again. Pointless. The tornado was epic, but overrated IMO.

S6 - The scenes that stood out for me were Bree & Orson's heart-to-heart, where he was about to wheel himself into the pool - very emotional and well written/acted. I actually liked the Bolens towards the end, and by now I was a big fan of Katherine, so I was sad to see her go; also loved Robin, who reminded me of Edie. But, I felt Lynette's pregnancy was a step backwards, the plane crash was a stunt for sweeps sake, and the follow up, look-what-might-have-been episode was awful and pointless. The Fairview Strangler mystery was lame and under played - who cares that it was some random kid who every housewife had just so happened to come into contact with at some point during his life - contrived beyond belief. Oh, and Julie having an affair with a married man!? So out of character.

S5 - Horrible. The five year jump was a mess, and they inflicted the horrendous Dave upon us, and killed off Edie in an unforgiving exit; the club fire was lame. I did like Mike & Katherine, and was seriously disappointed that he ended up with Susan. Gaby continued to be the bright spot in what was the worst season ever.

Thanks - a gist is exactly what I wanted to refresh my memory.

It's about as soapy as a show gets. And if Casualty and Holby and Bad Girls can be classed as soaps, then so can DH. But the thread has been moved now, so clearly some don't think it is. What does it have to do to be classed as soap? Air all year round? That's not how US prime time soaps work.

everybody is hating on season five lol just goes to show it was a bad season, but i guess that jump has helped get such a good season seven
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robjames69 wrote: »
    also, last sunday DH had its lowest ever rating with just 9m.

Season averages in US:
    1 - 23.69m
    2 - 21.70m
    3 - 17.50m
    4 - 17.91m
    5 - 15.66m
    6 - 14.13m
    7 - 12.52m

That's because they chose to air it against the Grammy's. They also aired a new episode against the Golden Globes in January. Silly, silly ABC.

Actually, Kayla was introduced at the start of season 3.