All 2011-2012 Trophy Winning Managers Now Sacked!

soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,465
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just to demonstrate how fickle clubs are and that success in football doesn't guarantee that you will still be in the job by the end of the following season, all the major trophy winning managers of 2011-2012 have now been sacked by their clubs.

- Premier League winner - Mancini sacked from City
- FA Cup and Champions League winner - Roberto di Matteo sacked from Chelsea
- League Cup winner - Kenny Dalglish sacked from Liverpool
- Championship winner - Brian McDermott sacked from Reading

Comments

• batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say all, what about League One, and League 2 winners?

But this Siva remarkable, and somewhat shameful set of affairs.
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Just to demonstrate how fickle clubs are and that success in football doesn't guarantee that you will still be in the job by the end of the following season, all the major trophy winning managers of 2011-2012 have now been sacked by their clubs.

- Premier League winner - Mancini sacked from City
    - FA Cup and Champions League winner - Roberto di Matteo sacked from Chelsea
    - League Cup winner - Kenny Dalglish sacked from Liverpool
    - Championship winner - Brian McDermott sacked from Reading

Yeah I saw that on the BBC twitter feed a couple of hours ago. Crazy really; I guess it illustrates how little some trophies mean and how much continued success off the back of investment is required.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's also backed up by the crazy stat that by the end of this season Brendan Rodgers (who took over in June) will be the 7th longest serving manager in the PL (could be 6th depending on how tonight's results go).
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,957
    Forum Member
    Really just shows us the crazy world of football and football management it doesn't matter how successful you are or what reputation you have got, eventually you will be gone. In reality no manager apart from maybe Ferguson did at United and Wenger does now at Arsenal is given a fair chance hence no consistency is made.
  • ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say all, what about League One, and League 2 winners?

But this Siva remarkable, and somewhat shameful set of affairs.

League 1 winner was Chris Powell of Charlton (still in his job), League 2 was Paolo Di Canio (and we all know what happened to him). I guess the OP is only interested in the Premier League and their competitions though?
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,948
    Forum Member
    ... and Adkins who won automatic promotion with Southampton was also sacked this season.

Meanwhile D Moyes, who hasn't won a thing in years, gets promoted to the best job in the country.

Football: it's a funny old game.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Out of that list I think only McDermott's sacking cannot be justified. Chelsea and Liverpool are playing better now and Man City has underperformed.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trick is to not do too well and burden yourself with increased expectations. Tony Pulis could have had Stoke in the Champions League by now (FACT) but instead he's kept it modest, sustainable and a joy to watch.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,957
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    The trick is to not do too well and burden yourself with increased expectations. Tony Pulis could have had Stoke in the Champions League by now (FACT) but instead he's kept it modest, sustainable and a joy to watch.

I doubt Pulis could have Stoke in the Champions League, any way there is speculation that he will leave Stoke at the end of the season as he feels he has taken the club as far as he can, time will tell if it's true though.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like your work.

Pulis is nailed on for the City job, in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    I doubt Pulis could have Stoke in the Champions League,

Hey now, I said 'fact' in caps. There's no arguing with me on this.

Picture Matthew Etherington giving Dani Alves what for as he hits Peter Crouch with a pinpoint cross to send 100000 Catalans into despair. What an image.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we'll find out if Messi can handle stoke at a blustery night at the Britannia stadium soon (hopefully) ;)

But yeh mid table is about where theres about zero pressure its once you go up or down the table the pressure builds
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like your work.

Pulis is nailed on for the City job, in my opinion.

Nahh, all the talk about Jose to Chelsea has been a smokescreen for the real candidate, step forward Tony! :D
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D

Stoke are far from a joy to watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's not rule John Gregory out of the merry-go-round. He's been in the shadows, watching. Waiting. Interminably waiting. And then...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    League 1 winner was Chris Powell of Charlton (still in his job), League 2 was Paolo Di Canio (and we all know what happened to him). I guess the OP is only interested in the Premier League and their competitions though?

If you're going to get into that then you also have to check things like JPT winners, Conference north and south etc. Where do you stop?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not rule John Gregory out of the merry-go-round. He's been in the shadows, watching. Waiting. Interminably waiting. And then...

"Lying in wait like a wolf, the smell of blood in his nostrils? " ;)

(Sorry, had to be done)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'He's right, Ted'
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Wigan do end up going down the longest reigning PL managers will be

Wenger 1996
    Pulis 2006
    Pardew 2010
    Allardyce 2011
    Jol 2011

Wenger the last of the 90's and Pulis last of the 2000's....then Pardew the third longest serving manager LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    If Wigan do end up going down the longest reigning PL managers will be

Wenger 1996
    Pulis 2006
    Pardew 2010
    Allardyce 2011
    Jol 2011

Wenger the last of the 90's and Pulis last of the 2000's....then Pardew the third longest serving manager LOL

After that it's Rodgers, May 2012!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone please give Alan Curbishley a job, he has waited long enough!
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey now, I said 'fact' in caps. There's no arguing with me on this.

Picture Matthew Etherington giving Dani Alves what for as he hits Peter Crouch with a pinpoint cross to send 100000 Catalans into despair. What an image.
    It's not a fact, it's speculation, Stoke have never been anywhere near the CL positions and why would a manager try not to get in the CL?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... you serious?
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're going to get into that then you also have to check things like JPT winners, Conference north and south etc. Where do you stop?
    I can confirm that the Conference North winning manager left his post at the end of last season.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After that it's Rodgers, May 2012!

Wow just shows the height of manager turnover now, often one wrong turn and the faith is gone