Options

Jack Wilshere: Is he as good as he thinks he is?

2»

Comments

• Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Possibly, the implication is there though. Even in this thread, he's been described as not improving at all since starting his career and not being a good player, what are you if not a good player, average, poor?

Just my opinion, but players that fail to live up to (often) unrealistic or very high expectation are often judged harsher than those that aren't. He's not a world beater, but he's probably good enough to be starting games for Arsenal, it's not like he's mid table level.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinks its more the media and some Arsenal fans who have bigged him up.
    He's a good player who will no doubt have a more than decent career.
    I don't see him ever being a great but who knows.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Pee wrote: »
    and yet he rated Ramsey and Oxlade-Chamberlain in the very same post :rolleyes:

I was actually responding to the OP's insinuation that JW has a high opinion of himself, which I disagreed with. Read the post before jumping down my throat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are his best footballing attributes?

As far as I can tell they tend to revolve around his passing, to me he is not someone who will get you lots of goals in a season, nor will he be up there in talking percentage department.

I also don't see in him a person who can play that last and important killer ball to the attackers, so really he is someone who passes the ball to another team-mate; which is not a bad trait to have, but a modern day midfielder, and a top one at that, needs to have more than one string to his bow so to speak.

Until he adapts and can do something else well (say goalscoring like Ramsey) then he will not be amongst the very best players in this league.

I seem to recall you saying he was a poor man's Cleverley:o
  • Options
    robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to recall you saying he was a poor man's Cleverley:o

Cleverley is better than Wilshere and Grant Holt is better than Suarez :D
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are his best footballing attributes?

As far as I can tell they tend to revolve around his passing, to me he is not someone who will get you lots of goals in a season, nor will he be up there in talking percentage department.

I also don't see in him a person who can play that last and important killer ball to the attackers, so really he is someone who passes the ball to another team-mate; which is not a bad trait to have, but a modern day midfielder, and a top one at that, needs to have more than one string to his bow so to speak.

Until he adapts and can do something else well (say goalscoring like Ramsey) then he will not be amongst the very best players in this league.

I hope you're not a Carrick fan after those statements, as he doesn't add goals, killer passes or crunching tackles either - simply a very good passer of the ball.

Like Carrick, Wilshere is asked to do a holding role in many games (that's relative in any Wenger side of course) BUT I don't believe that's his strongest role. He likes a tackle (but isn't that proficient) but his strengths are further forward for me. With Ramsey, Sanchez and Ozil at the club, however, he's never going to play there, even if he does get past Cazorla, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain and others.

Hard to work out where he can go from here to get the chance to prove himself - unless it's out of Arsenal altogether.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Possibly, the implication is there though. Even in this thread, he's been described as not improving at all since starting his career and not being a good player, what are you if not a good player, average, poor?

Just my opinion, but players that fail to live up to (often) unrealistic or very high expectation are often judged harsher than those that aren't. He's not a world beater, but he's probably good enough to be starting games for Arsenal, it's not like he's mid table level.

I don't think it's that outlandish to be of the opinion that he hasn't improved that much since he first emerged. that doesn't make him rubbish.