H'Oaks non linear week

124»

Comments

• Options
    davedubdavedub Posts: 8,826
    Forum Member
    Rob22 wrote: »
    Strongly disagree. for 2 reasons:

1. Ste has just finished the baby-napping storyline, and should have stayed off-screen for a few more weeks.

2. Ste and Gaz, never even knew each other, then they "suddenly know each other" and "hate each other" in the very same episode.

Ste's problem was that gaz mugged mercedes while she was minding lucas
  • Options
    andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
    Forum Member
    davedub wrote: »
    I agree it seems hollyoaks cant do anything right at the mo
    well done hollyoaks, i thought it was a fantastic week

I agree here. It's like people have got on such a downer with the show for how it's been in previous months that nothing now is able to impress at all.

I thought it was a good week, as was the week before with the Roy stuff.
  • Options
    surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    I thought he said Sarah was busy looking after Amy's other kid, so I understand why she wouldn't be able to take care of both.

Thought the last episode was okay but what annoyed me was how Ricky and Theresa were freaking out because they saw a photo of Newt and Anita, and how Anita even screamed after Ricky in protest. You just killed somebody, do you really care about that??!! :confused: Was kind of anti-climatic the way that took the focus off the big confession o_O

I felt it was the sort of week that was to clever for it's own devices and it hasn't brought the viewers flocking back in droves as it should have done. That majority of it had the feeling it wasn't a true non linear storyline but badly edited.

There were even plot holes such as school security. This time there was a night patrol, the previous time a few week earlier when they broke in the wasn't.

Mike's feeble excuse why Sarah couldn't look after Lucas, as Amy was OK with Leah as she had seen her, so why not take Leah and leave Sarah to look after Lucas.

Police not finding
    Anita's necklace
    Since where Gaz was attacked was a crime scene what does that say about Dee valley police.

Again
    Newt sitting by Gaz's bedside when he is a suspect in an attempted murder. Totally unbelieveable

Mal getting a work permit just like that. Only a very small percentage get temporary work permit just like that, and you an bet they are far more highly skilled than Mal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like it this week, and had to switch off in the end. I didn't realise it was a non linear week at the start and thought it was all over the place cos I'd watched the first look ep and then went back to the ch4 ep...

I don't like knowing the outcome before I know the story. IMO it makes telling the story pointless. Soaps are so easy to pick up, the story telling becomes irrelevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ellie82 wrote: »
    I didn't like it this week, and had to switch off in the end. I didn't realise it was a non linear week at the start and thought it was all over the place cos I'd watched the first look ep and then went back to the ch4 ep...

I don't like knowing the outcome before I know the story. IMO it makes telling the story pointless. Soaps are so easy to pick up, the story telling becomes irrelevant.

But the point of the week wasn't actually the attack on Gaz, it was who attacked him. Therefor you didn't know the outcome at the start, and the reason it was non linear/or had flash back, was so that you could gradually build up a picture of why it happened and by who by.

I thought it worked just fine personally but i guess the show was being a bit optimistic that the audience at large would 'get it' becuase obviously alot didn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy614 wrote: »
    But the point of the week wasn't actually the attack on Gaz, it was who attacked him. Therefor you didn't know the outcome at the start, and the reason it was non linear/or had flash back, was so that you could gradually build up a picture of why it happened and by who by.

I thought it worked just fine personally but i guess the show was a bit optimistic that the audience at large would 'get it' becuase obviously alot didn't.

Yeh maybe, but I think because I didn't know who Gaz was, and I'm not a fan of any of the suspects, the storyline didn't draw me in enough to care whodunnit.
  • Options
    GEMS17GEMS17 Posts: 22,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the non linear week more than the usual Hollyoaks fare of late, although that's not saying much. However, I did think it would have been better done as an extended one off - I'm not sure the format - over five nights - really worked very effectively. It felt too choppy and I do think the end was quite weak. The fact that Gaz remained alive at the end also rather killed the point of it all.

In summary, for me, good attempt, but needed to be slicker, sharper and darker to work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree here. It's like people have got on such a downer with the show for how it's been in previous months that nothing now is able to impress at all.

Defo, the past 2 weeks have been brill, lets hope it continues to get better and better
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well personally i have been enjoying it :) loved the Roy stuff last week and the non-liner week this week i thought i would get really confused by it but i have actually enjoyed it
  • Options
    mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was useless stuff again from Hollyoaks. Another Grange Hill week!!

It was obvious from monday/tuesday who was going to be the killer. The Mercedes/Mal stuff was pointless. The Leila/Elliot/Archie stuff was painful to watch (by far the 3 worst actors in hollyoaks today). The non-linear structure didn't work very well at all.

Hopefully we can move away from the kids for a bit.
  • Options
    Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And where is Theresa? she was part of the cottage in the woods thing.

but she hasn't been in Tuesday's, Wednesdays, Thursdays?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And where is Theresa? she was part of the cottage in the woods thing.

but she hasn't been in Tuesday's, Wednesdays, Thursdays?

Theresa wasn't part of the cottage stuff at all. The first time she comes into it is tonights C4.

Ste didn't know Gaz, as proven by Ste's line "do i know you?" which means he didn't "suddenly know" Gaz, and the reason he hated him was becuase he mugged Mercedes whilst she was in the care of his son.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member

Its actually the first time I have complained about HO. I'm still a fan, but I am objective. Just because they do something, doesn't mean it is good. And besides it is a matter of opinion. I simply didn't enjoy it. It doesn't mean HO is crap.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Wow. Look at some of the silly whingers in this thread. I had a right laugh reading yer terrible posts.
    Well done Hollyoaks for a cracking week and keep it up. :D

Terrible posts? What because people can form an opinion and criticise a show they like? Just accept that this week didn't work for everyone. I for one hated it, but still love HO. Its called being objective.

But next time I switch channels because I'm not enjoying something I'll remember I am just a terrible whinger. ;)

btw I had a right laugh reading your terrible post. :D;) (only joking).
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    I've not being enjoying this Newt/Gaz storyline at all. The non-linear aspect of it just confuses me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not being enjoying this Newt/Gaz storyline at all. The non-linear aspect of it just confuses me.

Same here, it's an awful week of hollyoaks, cant stand this non-linear codswollop.

I'll be happy when it returns to normal next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can understand people getting abit confused at times, I did too, but by the end of tonights c4 ep it all fits into place. I was very pleasently surprised at the outcome
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand people getting abit confused at times, I did too, but by the end of tonights c4 ep it all fits into place. I was very pleasently surprised at the outcome

Nope.

even afer watching last night's episode, I'm still confused, and still made no sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nope.

even afer watching last night's episode, I'm still confused, and still made no sense.

really? gaz overheard them talkin about the cottage in the school and followed them, he came on to anita and she hit him over the head
    They were all suspected of doing it, ricky, ste, lauren, newt
    but it was anita in the end
    I thought it was done really well in the end:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    really? gaz overheard them talkin about the cottage in the school and followed them, he came on to anita and she hit him over the head
    They were all suspected of doing it, ricky, ste, lauren, newt
    but it was anita in the end
    I thought it was done really well in the end:)

Unfortunately the viewers didn't thing so as the ratings were down on Friday again.
  • Options
    mrsparadoxmrsparadox Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always record sunday's omnibus and watch bits as and when I can. Unusually, I watched it all yesterday in dribs and drabs and just didn't enjoy it, infact I couldn't wait for it to end and delete it. Hollyoaks is usually comfort viewing for me, yesterday was a real chore :(
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    I didn't like the non-linear thing at all. I just found it totally confusing and boring. :yawn:
  • Options
    ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confusing? It was all explained at the end. Yikes at some people STILL not getting it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ThaGazBoi wrote: »
    Confusing? It was all explained at the end. Yikes at some people STILL not getting it.

It's because it was a non linear week is what helped confuse things. Had they told it in real time then perhaps people may have understood to more. What ultimately ruined it was they spent more time on Mal & Mercedes than what actually happened in the cottage.

But last wek showed how poor again the continuity is in Hollyoaks. You have the teens breaking back into school again, yet there was a security guard patrolling. Where was the guard a few weeks earlier when they broke in to get thier GCSE's and Theresa was clip clipping about in her shoes like a cart horse.

Gaz finding the teens at the cottage. How did he know where they went exactly. They would have noticed if he had been on the bus they got one. Was he waiting with a cab, telling the driver to "follow that bus2.

Again where Gaz was attacked, how come the police didn't find Anita's braclet as the area should have been treated as a crime sceen.

Hollyoaks tried to be to clever for it's own good last wek and it backfired as it didn't bring the viewers in. It's obvious that come Friday a lot of viewers got bored and didn't bother watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ThaGazBoi wrote: »

:D I know l can see how people got confused midweek with all the flash backs etc but by friday It actually fitted together really well, I still loved it