Options

The Spice Girls Story: Viva Forever!

WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anybody watching this?

As a fan I am really enjoying it. Surprised that it has a prime time spot on ITV, seeing as they don't seem to have mass appeal anymore.

I hope we get some home truths, finally, as they have always sweetened up their past...

Comments

• Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I'm watching it for my sins.

They all seem like nice girls, even Posh...
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Surprised that it has a prime time spot on ITV, seeing as they don't seem to have mass appeal anymore.
    the Spice Girls or ITV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    the Spice Girls or ITV?

Spice Girls lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liking the 90s footage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching it for my sins.

They all seem like nice girls, even Posh...

They do actually. Love hearing their thoughts on what it was like during their peak. Wonder if we'll ever see a UK girl group be as successful globally again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I take it Victoria and Mel B had absolutely nothing to do with the musical? They aren't talking about it at all.
  • Options
    wonderwall2012wonderwall2012 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    What I like about the Spice Girls is how they made it all happen for them on their own, they had a goal and they went for it. Compare this to the Likes of Girls Aloud who had it all served to them on a plate straight away and had all their material written for them/were told how to dress & act etc,

What the Spice Girls lacked in vocal technique they made up for it in sheer determination and personality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm more interested in the girls than I am the musical bits, those are kinda killing the docu.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been looking forward to this all day. Really enjoying it :). They must have some amazing memories!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it Victoria and Mel B had absolutely nothing to do with the musical? They aren't talking about it at all.

No. Emma & Geri were the driving forces behind getting Judy Cramer onboard and then they asked Jennifer Saunders. Melanie C (as far as I'm aware) had some input during the process aswell (going to workshops with the other 2 girls to see how things were getting on).

Mel B & Victoria didn't really have much input at all as far as I know, apart from to turn up on launch day and to turn up at the premiere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    What an absolute misselling of a programme.

Nothing about their back-story at all.

Should have been called 'Viva Forever: A Great Big Advertisement for the Musical'.

I'm going off this lot fast. And, I used to love them back in the day. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I like about the Spice Girls is how they made it all happen for them on their own, they had a goal and they went for it. Compare this to the Likes of Girls Aloud who had it all served to them on a plate straight away and had all their material written for them/were told how to dress & act etc,

What the Spice Girls lacked in vocal technique they made up for it in sheer determination and personality.

I agree with the above post. Their ambition and drive was apparent from day one. I love Geri's story about being a kid and thinking "Watch out world I'm coming!" She couldn't have "arrived" any better than at the Brits 1997!

Typical thing for her to say though :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plymgary wrote: »
    What an absolute misselling of a programme.

Nothing about their back-story at all.

Should have been called 'Viva Forever: A Great Big Advertisement for the Musical'.

I'm going off this lot fast. And, I used to love them back in the day. :(

I would like a more revealing docu based on the girls themselves rather than the musical aswell. But, why would they do that, I suppose? They've got something to sell and that has to be the main focus. Hope we get a bit more as it goes on though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would like a more revealing docu based on the girls themselves rather than the musical aswell. But, why would they do that, I suppose? They've got something to sell and that has to be the main focus. Hope we get a bit more as it goes on though.

I've just switched back now and it seems to be covering their back story. If that stupid musical thing comes up again though I'm off! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just switched back now and it seems to be covering their back story. If that stupid musical thing comes up again though I'm off! ;)

Haha, I'm behind on Sky+ so that's good to hear! I want catfights & drama :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Haha, I'm behind on Sky+ so that's good to hear! I want catfights & drama :o

I've gone now. It came back! :eek:

By all accounts it's meant to be a complete turkey so I can see the need to advertise it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm over it now.

Switching off since its more stuff about the musical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone now. It came back! :eek:

By all accounts it's meant to be a complete turkey so I can see the need to advertise it.

Yeah, the musical wouldn't be my thing either to be honest. And I expected more from Saunders & Cramer for the storyline. Not very original :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm over it now.

Switching off since its more stuff about the musical.

Glad it's not just me. I think they're ruining the memories we all had of them. :(

This is where ABBA had the right idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member

Absolutely. Like them or not, they had real personality and a sense of fun about them. Whereas acts like The Saturdays and Girls Aloud just seem to strut about and pose like models.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those complaining about this not being a doc on their back story. Why exactly would we need another one of those? there has already been 500 of them and each one is on Youtube. This was clearly advertised as a tie in to the musical.
  • Options
    tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What puzzles me is their success. Admittedly I do like some of their songs but individually they're mediocre singers at best, they worked brilliant together but solo none of them have amounted to much. I know proper fans will say "BUT WHAT ABOUT MEL C!?" but in all honesty she's hardly critically acclaimed and a huge solo success.
  • Options
    wonderwall2012wonderwall2012 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    What puzzles me is their success. Admittedly I do like some of their songs but individually they're mediocre singers at best, they worked brilliant together but solo none of them have amounted to much. I know proper fans will say "BUT WHAT ABOUT MEL C!?" but in all honesty she's hardly critically acclaimed and a huge solo success.

Didn't they all have solo number 1s except Victoria? they didn't do that bad on their own in the early 00s.
  • Options
    tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't they all have solo number 1s except Victoria? they didn't do that bad on their own in the early 00s.

True but I mean in the long run. I hate comparing but (whether liked or not) Cheryl has had a huge solo career off the back of Girls Aloud. Whereas none of the SG really have. Not that i'm saying that's harming the band or whatever.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True but I mean in the long run. I hate comparing but (whether liked or not) Cheryl has had a huge solo career off the back of Girls Aloud. Whereas none of the SG really have. Not that i'm saying that's harming the band or whatever.

The music industry by the mid 90s was just full of men. The Spice Girls came in and just changed everything. This is why the likes of Adele single out Geri as their idol.

Geri has sold like 12 million worldwide as a solo singer, something Cheryl Cole will NEVER do, and I believe Mel C has had more UK number 1 singles to her name than any other UK female singer. Mel C also won awards for her performance in Blood Brothers. Thats real acclaim.

Also Victoria??? she is a huge A List star. One of the biggest out there. Way more bigger than Cheryl will ever be!!! be honest. Cheryl is an unknown outside the UK. Vicky's fashion business is now the number 1 choice for many Hollywood stars. So you can't say Cheryl has had a bigger career when she just hasn't.