Options

The Australian General Election 2013

TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
Forum Member
Sitting Labor Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has fired the starting pistol for the 2013 Australian general election which will be held on 7 September this year.

The opposition leader is Tony Abbott and he represents the Coalition comprising the Liberal party (= UK's Conservatives) and the National party (= rural Conservatives in certain Australian states)*.

Labor has started off with $650 million AUD spending announcements for various projects but they still lag behind the Coalition in terms of poll rating by 4% - Coalition 52%, Labor 48%. However, in terms of the popularity of the leaders as defined by who would make the best prime minister, Kevin Rudd comes in at 47% as compared with Tony Abbott's 33%.

The Coalition's lead has been consistent is recent weeks and that should be enough to secure a majority in the House of Representatives (= House of Commons).

Links:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2013/
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-05/coalition-maintains-lead-over-labor-in-latest-poll/4864348

*The nearest European analogy I can think of is the CDU/CSU (Bavaria) situation in Germany.

Comments

• Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Busy month with Germany on the 22nd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tony Abbott, the leader of the Australian Liberal party, has now been called as the new prime minister designate as Kevin Rudd's Labor party has been swept from office after 6 years. Abbott will now lead a centre-right coalition of the Liberal and National parties.

The ALP is being swept from power with a swing against it of around 4.5 per cent, although Kevin Rudd and other senior figures will keep their seats and the voter rebellion in Western Sydney appears to not be as bad as the party had feared. In one of the shocks of the night, Clive Palmer is on course to be returned as MP for the Sunshine Coast seat of Fairfax after his party grabbed 12 per cent of the vote in Queensland. And while the Coalition will have a huge majority in the House of Representatives, the battle for the Senate remains up in the air.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/

The practical consequences of this win is an axing of their carbon tax, more pro-business policies and a firmer line on asylum seekers and immigration.
  • Options
    NoSmokeNoSmoke Posts: 1,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The practical consequences of this win is an axing of their carbon tax, more pro-business policies and a firmer line on asylum seekers and immigration.

Can we have that Government here as well then please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NoSmoke wrote: »
    Can we have that Government here as well then please.

Tony Abbott is perhaps better compared with Nigel Farage than David Cameron so the answer to your question is no, not while Cameron is PM.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Tony Abbott is perhaps better compared with Nigel Farage than David Cameron so the answer to your question is no, not while Cameron is PM.
    From what I've seen tweeted he seems to be indifferent about women's and gay rights. CNN reporter said he toned down his rhetoric to become electable but he'll still hold those views. The swing voters were obviously annoyed with Labor's leadership battles but they've given conservative white Australia their man.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tweet from Rupert Murdoch ‏
    Aust election public sick of public sector workers and phony welfare scroungers sucking life out of economy.Others nations to follow in time
  • Options
    NoSmokeNoSmoke Posts: 1,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

Sounds like a fair summary :)
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I'm sure the Australians will come to regret their decision, but then the alternative was hardly appealing either. This generation of politicians really are pretty terrible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoSmoke wrote: »
    Sounds like a fair summary :)

Rupert Murdoch has spent his entire life denouncing anything that is intended for the public good, all with the purpose of implementing his own imperialist policies to subjugate the world.

What f**king fools we are to allow it!
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did you post that tweet because you approve of it or disapprove of it?
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I'm sure the Australians will come to regret their decision, but then the alternative was hardly appealing either. This generation of politicians really are pretty terrible.
    He seems like a very divisive figure. Australia is going to end up like Italy wondering why they voted in a clown as their top politician.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Well done Australia for ousting the ALP and Kevin Rudd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    He seems like a very divisive figure. Australia is going to end up like Italy wondering why they voted in a clown as their top politician.

Even worse than voting in a clown is voting in someone who intended to become a priest at one point. Nothing good can come from letting people like that have some power.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aust election public sick of public sector workers and phony welfare scroungers sucking life out of economy.Others nations to follow in time

People in glass houses ought not to throw stones as the saying goes because the public is also sick of bent and corrupt media moguls whose companies hack into the mobile phones of victims of crime and terrorism.
    From what I've seen tweeted he seems to be indifferent about women's and gay rights. CNN reporter said he toned down his rhetoric to become electable but he'll still hold those views. The swing voters were obviously annoyed with Labor's leadership battles but they've given conservative white Australia their man.

Well, Mandark, he does come across as opinionated and populist (however, he's got a good academic record and so Boris is a better comparison in terms of intelligence rather than George W Bush :eek::cry:) but in office I suspect he'll be moderated by two factors. Firstly, there's the race for the Australian Senate going on and it looks likely to be no overall control so an Abbott government will have to be moderate and compromise if it wants its policies to get through.

Secondly, Tony Abbott's own family comprises a wife and three daughters and a gay sister so there'll be influence and pressure to be less reactionary from that direction too.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »

Being half Aussie i think this comment sums it up pretty nicely. People were also throwing around the tagline for Alien vs Predator: Whoever Wins... We Lose. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Being half Aussie i think this comment sums it up pretty nicely. People were also throwing around the tagline for Alien vs Predator: Whoever Wins... We Lose. :D

Yep, and it's going to be true here in the UK next year and was true in the last US election. It's definitely not a problem restricted to any particular country.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    J LeninJ Lenin Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spent most of the summer in Australia as both my son and daughter live there.This guy came over as a complete and utter plank.It was obvious that Rudd was intellectually far superior but the Labor party has too much in fighting and the people have reacted to that. I also believe the Australians will come to to regret this.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Abbott, the leader of the Australian Liberal party, has now been called as the new prime minister designate as Kevin Rudd's Labor party has been swept from office after 6 years. Abbott will now lead a centre-right coalition of the Liberal and National parties.

The ALP is being swept from power with a swing against it of around 4.5 per cent, although Kevin Rudd and other senior figures will keep their seats and the voter rebellion in Western Sydney appears to not be as bad as the party had feared. In one of the shocks of the night, Clive Palmer is on course to be returned as MP for the Sunshine Coast seat of Fairfax after his party grabbed 12 per cent of the vote in Queensland. And while the Coalition will have a huge majority in the House of Representatives, the battle for the Senate remains up in the air.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/

Great news! I do admire the Australian asylum system. Do a deal with another country and divert all your asylum seekers there. Now Abbott will use the navy to intercept boats and buy boats from Indonesian fishermen to prevent them falling in to the hands of traffickers.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a downunder UKIP.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Sounds like a downunder UKIP.

Tony Abbott makes Nigel Farage seem like Caroline lucas the Green MP :D

If only we could leave the EU and be free to fully determine our own laws and policies and who can come and live here and claim entitlements like the Aussies.

The future is Asia for us not the bankrupt states of the EU. Poland has just confiscated half the country's private pension plans so it can put them on its balance sheet to offset is debt problems. This is after Cyprus has stolen people's savings except for the elite who got advance warning. Our government does it by the back door via quantitative easing and inflation.

Confiscating savings and pensions but no protection under human rights laws at all? What next?
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J Lenin wrote: »
    I spent most of the summer in Australia as both my son and daughter live there.This guy came over as a complete and utter plank.It was obvious that Rudd was intellectually far superior but the Labor party has too much in fighting and the people have reacted to that. I also believe the Australians will come to to regret this.

Rudd is so "intellectually superior" that he still believes in taxes on CO2.:D
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    warlord wrote: »
    Rudd is so "intellectually superior" that he still believes in taxes on CO2.:D

Like Cameron, Osborne and almost every politician in the world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    J Lenin wrote: »

They probably will regret it.

Abbott sounds like a right character though... former boxer and everything :D