Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I want a song like this for album three but knowing Syco, it probably wouldn't make it to be a single.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0ynr1ZyWQuI
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    ^^I used to love that song!

Here's Maegan Cottone's writer soundcloud page if anyone's interested.
    https://soundcloud.com/phrased-differently/sets/maegan-cottone-showreel

I quite like the song with Misha B.

Also Duvall's
    https://soundcloud.com/phrased-differently/sets/duvall-writer-page
  • DreCDreC Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol I used to love that song too but no thanks it's a bit dated, the girls would sound amazing on something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsU189WyU68
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hear hear. There's always a lesson to take away from any situation, and if its just that their team finally gets that LM cant be marketed as an annex to 1D I will be VERY happy. Now they need to be promoted as their own thing. There was no 1D promo with Salute the single and it turned out well.

And yes to more guitars and I would even like to hear more strings.

Are you not the one (with others) telling me how LM should concentrate on being a live act? I'm not sure how you do that in a recording studio? Actually you don't, you play live, that's how you do it.

And again I think I was the one who said LM should try out rock and pop rather than R n'B. I don't remember many supporters. They are never going to be Destiny's Child. But they could be a new Girls Aloud.

This album would make three albums in three years, it's rare to have four in four. The album needs some killer tracks so maybe fair play if that is the idea but if it is an album release simply designed to coincide with an XF appearance that would be a waste of time.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have they announced a split or something? There was news for their american fans on Twitter last night which seemed to be half finished and didn't make sense to me and i could't find the rest of the tweets on what they were talking about.
  • AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    Have they announced a split or something? There was news for their american fans on Twitter last night which seemed to be half finished and didn't make sense to me and i could't find the rest of the tweets on what they were talking about.

• DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Are you not the one (with others) telling me how LM should concentrate on being a live act? I'm not sure how you do that in a recording studio? Actually you don't, you play live, that's how you do it.

And again I think I was the one who said LM should try out rock and pop rather than R n'B. I don't remember many supporters. They are never going to be Destiny's Child. But they could be a new Girls Aloud.

This album would make three albums in three years, it's rare to have four in four. The album needs some killer tracks so maybe fair play if that is the idea but if it is an album release simply designed to coincide with an XF appearance that would be a waste of time.

The second album had a lot of production that required them to have a DJ at their shows rather than a band. It might not be to your taste but that's the sound they chose. If they go for a different sound on the third album they will have strings, guitars etc. in the recording studio and they will hopefully have them on stage as well (probably not a full orchestra).

Unless they have a frantically busy touring schedule next year or get axed the four in four is pretty much a lock. They have the talent, funding and producing teams to help them make a good fourth album in time for the Christmas release their fans want. They will then tour to support it in 2016. It's pop music, they don't need to go on a six month retreat in Bhutan to produce some good songs. In a few years time perhaps they'll have a breather or go on a super long global tour which means an 18 month or two year gap between albums. The bigger risk would be if a massive rival girl group came along and dominated the Christmas market, leading to the label pushing back the release.

Jason100 wrote: »

Twitter nonsense. The only big thing this week is cancellation of the US tour.
  • casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And again I think I was the one who said LM should try out rock and pop rather than R n'B. I don't remember many supporters.

Yes they should hone their live skills, which everyone has noted they have. At some point they have to record music in addition so how is that a conflict? Also several here including myself have said all along since the tv show that we liked their rockier arrangements.

They had live musicians for DNA but I wonder if the budget went to the sets and effects for Salute this time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salute jumped from #32 on iTunes from 8 hours ago to #27 . Is it just from the Ed tracks finally leaving?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Other people responded to you, but that was actually me. I would've liked to see them do ~2k seat venues here (4k in the biggest cities). That's about what they could support right now, and really all they could expect after a tour opener slot and an album that opened with 42k sales and ultimately sold about 100k. They wouldn't make much if any money on this tour. But their live core fanbase grew significantly between their UK tours without any particularly massive hits or major TV exposure and I'd be crossing my fingers a similar thing happened in the US.

I'm pretty sure that the release *is* being mostly designed to coincide with an XF appearance. That's what Syco knows, even if it's produced very few lasting acts. The response Salute got from the BGT appearance proves how much some sort of big TV spot matters, but surely there are other spots they could have had early next year.

I really think they should hit whatever size venues will have them in the US/Aus/JP/EU for 2-3 months next spring, followed or preceded by UK tour, then if they can't get off the XF release schedule they will at least have the summer and early fall to write the album.

As is I expect the new releases from 5H and G.R.L. (the latter of which is getting quite a few views to my surprise) will peel away some of their pissed off core fanbase here in the US. Not sure how they can move forward outside the UK without a massive hit, probably two, if they're not willing to play 2k capacity theaters somewhere to start.

I've also said they need to mix up their Salute sound with either a bit more rock or a bit more electronic. I think a lot of us have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nissl wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the release *is* being mostly designed to coincide with an XF appearance. That's what Syco knows, even if it's produced very few lasting acts. The response Salute got from the BGT appearance proves how much some sort of big TV spot matters, but surely there are other spots they could have had early next year.

Don't underestimate the importance of an XF slot. It reaches over 1/7 of the UK population (that's equivalent to the 40 million American Idol had at its very peak) and the fact that American megastars like Rihanna, Bieber and Gaga were all on it the season LM were on shows how important it is to the US labels for promotion too. As I recall it propelled Move way up the chart after the performance.

After using the third album as the excuse, all I can say is the US fans will be out for blood if it isnt a knockout. They just added even more pressure to themselves.

And June started out so well for them. How quickly things change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The second album had a lot of production that required them to have a DJ at their shows rather than a band. It might not be to your taste but that's the sound they chose. If they go for a different sound on the third album they will have strings, guitars etc. in the recording studio and they will hopefully have them on stage as well (probably not a full orchestra).

Unless they have a frantically busy touring schedule next year or get axed the four in four is pretty much a lock. They have the talent, funding and producing teams to help them make a good fourth album in time for the Christmas release their fans want. They will then tour to support it in 2016. It's pop music, they don't need to go on a six month retreat in Bhutan to produce some good songs. In a few years time perhaps they'll have a breather or go on a super long global tour which means an 18 month or two year gap between albums. The bigger risk would be if a massive rival girl group came along and dominated the Christmas market, leading to the label pushing back the release.

It's true that GA produced five albums in five years but the sales were greater and the singles performed better. They weren't a great live band either more pop performers and I thought LM were meant to be a great live act. Sugababes and The Spice didn't do anything like number of albums in such a short time.

And it isn't about taste it's about producing killer singles irrespective of genre. The singles from the last album were released in the wrong order ( the strong performance of Salute being a good indicator). The next album needs a killer single or two or else in the competitive market of pop LM will be gone. You also might consider if a massive rival girl group came along what might they be doing that would be different from LM?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I've seen everything on Twitter now:

The only girl I called a bitch was jade bc she was shading her own fans like who does that

This guy is now furious because one of the girls or someone on the LM team blocked him for calling Jade a b**** over her reply about the tour cancellation.

Block away, girls!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nissl wrote: »
    Other people responded to you, but that was actually me. I would've liked to see them do ~2k seat venues here (4k in the biggest cities). That's about what they could support right now, and really all they could expect after a tour opener slot and an album that opened with 42k sales and ultimately sold about 100k. They wouldn't make much if any money on this tour. But their live core fanbase grew significantly between their UK tours without any particularly massive hits or major TV exposure and I'd be crossing my fingers a similar thing happened in the US.

I really think they should hit whatever size venues will have them in the US/Aus/JP/EU for 2-3 months next spring, followed or preceded by UK tour, then if they can't get off the XF release schedule they will at least have the summer and early fall to write the album.

As is I expect the new releases from 5H and G.R.L. (the latter of which is getting quite a few views to my surprise) will peel away some of their pissed off core fanbase here in the US. Not sure how they can move forward outside the UK without a massive hit, probably two, if they're not willing to play 2k capacity theaters somewhere to start.

I've also said they need to mix up their Salute sound with either a bit more rock or a bit more electronic. I think a lot of us have.

Well sorry for that perhaps my memory is going but the discussion was about how LM were different because they were all good singers and could perform well live. Cancelling a tour of whatever venue size and with whatever companion act is just not a good show in that context. You are probably right about the venue sizes but that means more dates not less.

The albums are not selling much beyond the fan base so it might be better to not annoy the fan base and this will surely do this. It also suggests that estimates of the LM's American audience were exaggerated. LM have not had the impact of ID but this is actually a time when UK artists are doing well in the US, so the timing is completely off.

The second album was essentially a reworking of the first so if it worth cancelling a tour to make an album, then it needs to be something special. Girls aloud cancelled tours because of low ticket sales but their saving grace was the quality of much of their music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well sorry for that perhaps my memory is going but the discussion was about how LM were different because they were all good singers and could perform well live. Cancelling a tour of whatever venue size and with whatever companion act is just not a good show in that context. You are probably right about the venue sizes but that means more dates not less.

The albums are not selling much beyond the fan base so it might be better to not annoy the fan base and this will surely do this. It also suggests that estimates of the LM's American audience were exaggerated. LM have not had the impact of ID but this is actually a time when UK artists are doing well in the US, so the timing is completely off.

No offense, but if you have been reading the thread we all figured this out about 3 pages back, so I'm not sure what your point is? Nobody here has suggested in light of what happened that LM are exempt from anything.

If you mean the discussion further back that their live skills are setting them apart from other acts, then yes I for one still believe that. The public and critical reaction they got about their UK tour also leads me to believe that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they should hone their live skills, which everyone has noted they have. At some point they have to record music in addition so how is that a conflict? Also several here including myself have said all along since the tv show that we liked their rockier arrangements.

They had live musicians for DNA but I wonder if the budget went to the sets and effects for Salute this time.

Sorry for misplaced judgement. The conflict thing is that LM are giving up an opportunity to build their live performance skills to record an album which could be hit or miss. It also reduces the possibility of a live DVD or some such item. Cancelling a tour just sounds negative sorry.

The R n'B thing was always going to be a credibility issue. And LM already have a credibility issue as they a product of XF. The pop rock or pure pop approach would have been more fruitful all along. Especially as it would have been different from other current girl groups.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for misplaced judgement. The conflict thing is that LM are giving up an opportunity to build their live performance skills to record an album which could be hit or miss. It also reduces the possibility of a live DVD or some such item. Cancelling a tour just sounds negative sorry.

Oh its quite negative and like I've said before, its a PR disaster no way out of it. I also dont swallow the album excuse as the only reason, like we have said, the tour was timed after the normal schedule for making the album anyway. It sounds purely like a label and management decision driven by sales projections to me. Again if you go back on this very thread you will read what our guy Nissl was noting about the sales in various US venues.

BTW I think Jade posted this on their IG. I say Jade because she always abbreviates "and" to "n".
    http://instagram.com/p/qEFjGXuGR4/?modal=true
  • itsstephitssteph Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    I really like this song Duvall and Maegan Cottone. LM could benefit from mainstream success with a dance song similar to this:

https://soundcloud.com/phrased-differently/louder-hiten-bharadia-phil?in=phrased-differently/sets/duvall-writer-page
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The word Bitch is overused smh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jade is responding on her IG with imagery. Look at the last few.
    http://instagram.com/jadeameliabadwi

What do you bet on the Livestream that she gets appointed to make any statement, if they even address it.
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Their US ticket sales must have been dire for them to cancel. But as they say every decision is made with their "mixers in mind" so at least they are saving the musical sensibilities of the Americans
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jade is responding on her IG with imagery. Look at the last few.
    http://instagram.com/jadeameliabadwi

What do you bet on the Livestream that she gets appointed to make any statement, if they even address it.

Yh she's that girl, Jesy and Perrie will probz end up saying something that will make people more angry lol and Leigh... well she's Leigh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DreC wrote: »
    Yh she's that girl, Jesy and Perrie will probz end up saying something that will make people more angry lol and Leigh... well she's Leigh

I'm actually a little disappointed that Leigh plays it close these days and lets Jade do the work. I was expecting more Fiery Mix out of her and I bet she is behind the scenes. I wouldnt mind the occasional outburst from her because I respect her intelligence. Her intelligence is probably telling her not to draw fire, lol.
  • AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Management got WAY too ambitious the girls could have filled out 1.5K/2K sizes.

Weren't most of the venues 3K-5K? And why did they have to visit so many cities?

NY, Texas, Chicago, San Jose could have done really well. They get great support there.

My heart goes out to some of the mixers though, they set in timers and everything.

It's so rewarding to see an international act not based in your country, perform and do a tour, now it's taken away from them. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hollywood Palladium capacity for Gen. Admission is 3800 on their website.

What we have to keep in mind is that this was intended to be a full blown tour with dancers and set pieces, not just 4 girls showing up with a backing track. It may be in order to at least break even the logistics dictated having to sell a certain number of seats. However I have to admit when their first announcement included going to sparsely populated AZ, my eyebrows went all the way to the back of my head.
This discussion has been closed.