Hurts.

Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why so much hype about them? Just listened to them for the first time, they're s**t!:confused:

Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    It's all about opinions at the end of the day. I personally really like them, although of course they aren't perfect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i liked happiness, not listened to the new album though yet but i've a feeling i might not enjoy it so much. their music is a bit cheesy and stuff?
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starfoxxx wrote: »
    i liked happiness, not listened to the new album though yet but i've a feeling i might not enjoy it so much. their music is a bit cheesy and stuff?

Very! Really bad Depeche Mode ripoff.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    They are great. I love them.
  • adamo8adamo8 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I Wouldn't say all their music is cheesy. Some great songs on both albums.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like them too.

I do think they are very possibly taking the piss just a little bit :p but I find them thoroughly enjoyable :)
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve35 wrote: »
    Why so much hype about them? Just listened to them for the first time, they're s**t!:confused:

tbh I don't think there's THAT much hype about them, not in comparison to a lot of bands/musicians... they have a strong following, but that's probably just fans of their music.

I absolutely ADORE Exile, I think it's much better than their debut... they kind of remind me of a more 80s influence pop version of HIM, and I definitely get the Depeche Mode comparisons. I just really enjoy Theo's voice and the dark atmospheric sort of music they make :) (in that it's got a bit of darkness to it, not that it's atmospheric... if that makes sense haha):p
  • ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve35 wrote: »

When I first heard Happiness that's what I thought too, after about four listens I thought all the songs were great. I'm much more of a fan of Happiness than Exile, probably because of the memories that album holds. It really does grow on you!
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    I really like them too...their new album is too dense.... their previous was so melodic, while being edgy and non mainstream....whereas this album is less accessible and less melodic....and too dark for mainstream appeal.....

I actually really like the new album.... for me it is a 7/10 ....but their debut album was an 8.5/10
  • MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I think they're fab too, but they're like Marmite - you probably love them or you don't. I agree with LaVieEnRose that they're possibly taking the piss. Theo showed he has a sense of humour and was a good sport when he was on Celebrity Juice on Thursday night.

I also don't think there's been much hype surrounding them - certainly nothing like Rihanna and Justin Bieber, but then they're a lot more famous.

The more I listen to their new album, the more I like it.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Yes, I also don't get the 'too much hype' claim - certainly in the UK they are still basically unknown in the mainstream. There are way more 'hyped' bands than Hurts to take a pop at imo...but I certainly wouldn't be interested enough in any of them to actually start a thread about how hyped and sh*t they were :D
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i simply fail to understand the accusation of 'hype'... they're pretty much ignored by radio and have taken a bashing from critics since the start. And as for 'cheesy' i'd say that's the last term i'd use...unless you consider later era Depeche Mode 'cheesy'. The new album is lacking in the kind of tunes the debut had and they've gone too 'rock' for my tastes so i'm not feeling their new direction. But their first album is class.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    They are amazing, I would hardly call them "cheesy" or even "overhyped". They barely get any magazine inches or anything at all.

I agree that Happiness was better than Exile but I think that is simply because it was fresher. I do however love "Blind" on Exile, it is like Devotion Part 2.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im finding the new one over-produced. Me 'no-likey'. Theres something lacking from it.
    Will give it another whirl, just in case.