Options

Obama administration already publicly dissing Britain

AdsAds Posts: 37,062
Forum Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10277510/Syria-John-Kerry-slaps-Britain-in-face-as-he-calls-France-oldest-allies.html

All a bit childish really, especially considering the way Britain have slavishly followed America's lead in Iraq and Afghanistan. I still have very mixed feelings over the issue of Syria, but the UK discovering its not the US's bitch might be one positive outcome of last night's vote.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't care less. Let us see the outcome of this.
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Don't care, America can do one.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    then they can piss off them, be best buddies with the rabid french then!
  • Options
    oncemoreoncemore Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know people here are rattling on about the 'special relationship' and are happy that the UK parliament 'stuck it to the yanks', but I would like to interject some sanity if I could...

White House statement:
    “The U.S. will continue to consult with the UK government — one of our closest allies and friends. As we’ve said, President Obama’s decision-making will be guided by what is in the best interests of the United States. He believes that there are core interests at stake for the United States and that countries who violate international norms regarding chemical weapons need to be held accountable.”

And, since France helped us in the revolution, he's technically correct. I'm sure people here would be much happier if he talked for 30 minutes about how great the UK is and how terrible it is they decided not to join, but he didn't. I wouldn't make too much of it.
  • Options
    Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who honestly gives a toss.
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    oncemore wrote: »
    I know people here are rattling on about the 'special relationship' and are happy that the UK parliament 'stuck it to the yanks', but I would like to interject some sanity if I could...

White House statement:

Obama's statement:

And, since France helped us in the revolution, he's technically correct. I'm sure people here would be much happier if he talked for 30 minutes about how great the UK is and how terrible it is they decided not to join, but he didn't. I wouldn't make too much of it.

That was David Cameron's statement not Obama's.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Telegraph is slanting events to suit its agenda, namely getting rid of Cameron who they have never really liked.

Ignore.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can always develop an interest in Russia. %^*()_
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    That was David Cameron's statement not Obama's.

crap i pasted the wrong one in there. thanks for pointing it out. will edit.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    The Obama administration was pretty openly dismissive about the UK when he first came to power, it's no real surprise if they are making snide comments now. The hero worship of Obama from UK politicians was always very cringeworthy considering it was hardly a mutual affection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    The Obama administration was pretty openly dismissive about the UK when he first came to power, it's no real surprise if they are making snide comments now. The hero worship of Obama from UK politicians was always very cringeworthy considering it was hardly a mutual affection.

yes, they returned a borrowed bust of Churchill and gave the prime minister some DVDs. He must really hate you guys.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get why so many seem to think this has been done to somehow throw off imaginary shackles of American domination :confused:

To me, this vote was about avoiding a massively unpredictable intervention in what is currently a drastically unstable region of the world. The Americans can choose their own path. I'm just happy that our lot have seen sense for once.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    The "special relationship" doesn't exist and never has done. The USA goes its own way, has little regard for the wishes of the UK government and frankly, that is the way it should be.

The UK needs to remember this, and behave similarly in future diplomatic discussion. The fact that Kerry has had his little dig only serves to hammer home the fact that this country needs to behave independently.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obama can stick his BBQ and table tennis kit.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    The whole French ally thing is rather humorous it must be said -- it wasn't so long ago that Americans were boycotting French goods and renaming chips, "Freedom Fries".

Old allies my arse. Just one more country the US utilises when it is convenient -- just like the UK.

I do suspect though that the French will not be so stupid as to wave their backsides at the US in response to this compliment as we doubtless would.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL. What's up are they finding it difficult to get anyone else to join in. The French appear to be less gung ho than it originally seemed, Turkey are somewhat compromised when it comes to any intervention there, so that leaves the Aussies.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they're already trying to make out they love the French when I'm pretty certain they hated them a couple of years ago.

Frankly I don't think Obama really wants to act on Syria at all but he made that comment about the red line and it's now a matter of honour. Also he's probably got Israel bleating in his ear.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember only 9% of Americans in a recent poll supported intervention in Syria, 60% were against. When chemical weapons were mentioned that figure rose to 24%/74%. Still the American government is hardly representative of its people.
  • Options
    Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Predicable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how can you not mock britian. From richard the lionheart to a nation ruled by timid men. assad is laughing his head off
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    What does America have in common with France?

A: Vietnam
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Elan Morin wrote: »
    how can you not mock britian. From richard the lionheart to a nation ruled by timid men. assad is laughing his head off

The same Richard the Lionheart that got captured in the Holy Roman Empire due to his own stupidity and forced his brother and Britain to endure taxes to pay for his ransom? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    The "special relationship" doesn't exist and never has done. The USA goes its own way, has little regard for the wishes of the UK government and frankly, that is the way it should be.

The UK needs to remember this, and behave similarly in future diplomatic discussion. The fact that Kerry has had his little dig only serves to hammer home the fact that this country needs to behave independently.

This is patently and demonstrably false. I mean I understand that calling France our oldest ally has gotten on people's nerves, but to suggest there isn't a unique relationship between the US and the UK is so wrong it's ridiculous. The US and UK relationship is one of the most important alliances in the world and is considered hugely influential in maintain stability in many, many parts of the world.

The US UK military cooperation alone is mind-boggling. We share in training, equipment, intelligence and logistics to name a few.

Furthermore, the US and the UK each contribute the most foreign direct investment in each other's economies and we have, for the most part, similar economic goals and practices. Our diplomacy organizations are pretty much in constant contact with each other and cooperate in the G8, UN, WTO, and pretty much any other global organization you can think of.

I don't even think I need to address the cultural ties between the two countries.

You may not think there is a 'special relationship' but it exists nonetheless. You may not even want there to be such a relationship, but its mutually beneficial to both countries and luckily it's not going to go away any time soon.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elan Morin wrote: »

I doubt that he is laughing when his country is being destroyed.