Cinema's Not Allowing You To Bring Your Own Food and Drink Debate

Comments

• DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just always smuggle a Yorkie in via my bottom
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    I will usually buy a drink because I like to have ice but I usually buy popcorn from the local cadburys world next door.

I do however sit away from other people if I have popcorn. I know how annoying it is to have somebody crunching next to you.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think prices are that bad. It's a 2 hour movie, it's not as though you *need* to eat and drink during that time.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I don't think people eat in the cinema because they are hungry, but because it's rather pleasant to have a snack or some sweets and a drink during the movie.
    I always take a can of cola with me.

After the initial click of the ring-pull before the film starts, you wouldn't hear me if you were sat next to me.
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Also, popcorn in a cardboard box doesn't make a right lot of noise.
    I find it very noisy if I am sitting nearby.

Especially if I am am sitting in the row right in front and it is a fairly quiet film.

The constant crunching - hand in box and open-mouthed eating - is extremely distracting and takes me completely out of the film.

And the boxes are huge, so they are often still crunching away halfway through the film!
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that if you can't sit still for two hours without anything going into or coming out of your mouth then you shouldn't be allowed out in public.

Just watch the bloody film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that if you can't sit still for two hours without anything going into or coming out of your mouth then you shouldn't be allowed out in public.

Just watch the bloody film.

Slight overreaction. :D

They're not going to ban food and drink in cinemas because the majority of people want to have a snack while watching a film and they make money from it. I always get popcorn and a slush puppie, I'm sure you all think I should be publicly beaten for that. I am an adult and can manage to eat quietly so I really fail to see how eating in a cinema is such a huge deal.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Going to the cinema and not having a drink and popcorn is wrong.

That's all part of the fun of going to the cinema.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Then maybe there should be seperate showings.

Those that allow food & drink and those for the purists who just want to be in a quite room watching a film.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Going to the cinema and not having a drink and popcorn is wrong.

That's all part of the fun of going to the cinema.

The fun is watching the film, not listening to others munch, crunch & slurp the way through a film.

As to the other poster, eating quietly...sorry there is no such thing, the rustling of the popcorn, the crunching of crisps, the slurping of drinks and other snacks I haven't mentioned. The only reason they think there eating quietly is because they are in their own oblivious world along with all the other eaters/drinkers.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    I gave up going to the cinema around 4 years ago. Just can't be bothered with it any more; prices are constantly going up and people in general are seemingly becoming more and more inconsiderate to other viewers.

Which is a killer combination. Especially with all the digital content delivery in homes these days.

I didn't even have a sense of disappointment about giving up cinema tbh. Which coming from someone who went regularly their whole life is pretty damning.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to the cinema is quite expensive. I haven't been in a year and if I recall then it was close to £10 if not more each for a standard viewing.

I take my own food in, I enjoy eating popcorn, minstrels and haribo during the viewing but I do try to be quiet! I admit I have, after work taken in a sandwich and crisps as well as my dinner lol

I know it's how cinemas make their money but surely they'd prefer to sell loads at a lower price that a little at a higher price?
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I begrudge spending more than a tenner or so if I go to the cinema by myself on one of my days off. My local is a Showcase and I think the tickets are usually about £7.50, so I sometimes get a regular drink (about £3) with that as I like to have ice. Anything else I want I take in with me. The markup they must generate off the drinks alone is crazy.
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was at my local Cineworld today. £2.60 for one bottle of vitamin water, across the road in Tesco the same vitamin water, two bottles for £2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally would not pay the prices they charge. £2.40 for a bottle of drink which costs 99p elsewhere. I can't see them banning own food and drink being taken in - how would they police it? People would not agree to having their bags searched on the way in, well I wouldn't anyway.
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,316
    Forum Member
    Going to cinemas as a family can be very expensive. I feel you should be able to provide your own drinks and food these days (dispose of rubbish personally though), as hey watch it downloaded/copy instead.
    Shame though as going to the cinema is lovely and nothing beats the loud, big screen.
    I usually wait now for a film to be released on DVD to watch as I would not want to watch a poor copy or on pc etc as it would ruin a film for me.
    Just has not been a decent film worth seeing for ages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PERILLA wrote: »
    I personally would not pay the prices they charge. £2.40 for a bottle of drink which costs 99p elsewhere. I can't see them banning own food and drink being taken in - how would they police it? People would not agree to having their bags searched on the way in, well I wouldn't anyway.

Quite simple really, not allow bags in to the screening, and provide lockers...then no one would have to worry about having their bags searched.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^Yeah, right, that'd go down well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    ^Yeah, right, that'd go down well.

Probably right...I know bags are such precious things to have while watching a film.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Probably right...I know bags are such precious things to have while watching a film.
    It's more the offensive and ridiculous nature of the suggestion.

"Please put all your stuff in here at our mercy before you proceed as we can't trust that you won't try to smuggle in verboten snacks."
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Quite simple really, not allow bags in to the screening, and provide lockers...then no one would have to worry about having their bags searched.

Lockers? For a 3000-capacity multiplex? That's going to work.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I am not really fussed, I prefer going for a meal and a pint afterwards. I do occasionally get a coke with ice if it is warmer.

The kids do enjoy a snack at the cinema, they like warm popcorn, a medium one to share and a small coke each as a treat, we only go to the pictures a few times a year. I won't get a mutlipack of crisps or a big bottle of pop from the supermarket down the road to take to the pictures, as that is pure greed really for an hour and a half, and we might go to a cafe afterwards for dinner depending on the time :D

I don't want to have to take myself or the wee one to numerous toilet trips during the film either, or have to clear up a pile of rubbish at the end....

I can't say I have been bothered much by other folk taking in their own snacks, noise wise usually fortunate enough to go to less busy screenings with no one sitting next to us...although one time a couple took in a fish supper or something chippy like, the smell was off putting to say the least..!

I can't say I 'hear' cinema popcorn if the kids are chewing away..I must have been right engrossed in How to Train Your Dragon 2 the last time :D
  • EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,261
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Does anyone think the cinemas are missing a trick not allowing you to take your own food and drink? especially in this age of digital downloading (legally) and Netflix.

My local cinema is always 3 thirds empty, and I do think more people would go if they was allowed to bring their own refreshments (as a night out), the cinema prices are extortionate and people just won't go. The Pic N Mix prices are a rip off I got a few once and was charged about £7 (and there was not many there at all my friend was shocked) - I could of got loads more for my money in Wilkos.

I do think in order to compete the cinemas need to change there policies with the times.

We always buy a drink in the cinema, but usually buy snacks elsewhere. The drinks usually end up costing more than the tickets, but when I'm at the cinema, I usually get one of the ice blast drinks. You can buy a bottle of coke anywhere, but I don't think I've ever seen ice blasts outside of the cinema, so that's my cinema drink.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    We always buy a drink in the cinema, but usually buy snacks elsewhere. The drinks usually end up costing more than the tickets, but when I'm at the cinema, I usually get one of the ice blast drinks. You can buy a bottle of coke anywhere, but I don't think I've ever seen ice blasts outside of the cinema, so that's my cinema drink.

Sounds like a slushie type of drink, I would welcome that :)

Nice cold drinks are the winner for me :D But yeah a medium coke does set you back a few quid.
  • kxkkxk Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    As a child, in a family of 8 kids - well Mum made sandwiches for our rare movie outings.

And that was good conditioning - I never feel like I want those movie snacks, lollies and all that doesn't go with a movie for me.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    An important part of the income stream for the cinema is selling food and drink. The licences for the films are quite pricey so the margin on just a screening aren't that great.

In the same way that revenue for food sales is important to many pubs to stay open as the rents charged by the breweries is quite steep. I'm not sure that the Landlord / lady would subscribe to the argument that they would sell more beer if they allowed people to bring in their own food.

Was at my local Cineworld today. £2.60 for one bottle of vitamin water, across the road in Tesco the same vitamin water, two bottles for £2

Similarly it is economies of scale. Tesco buy in massive bulk, which is why they can undercut your local shop (or your local cinema)

In the example given above, if you go to a restaurant and order a bottle of wine you will pay more for it than at your local Tesco.

It is unlikely that the restaurateur will let you bring a bottle in "because it was £3.99 at Tesco"