Options

How Zelebs Play the Public/Media

Maggie_MooMaggie_Moo Posts: 461
Forum Member
Are you like me and just plain old sick and tired of how Zeleb's play the public and Media, to make a living for doing what exactly?

And are you like me, and tired of the Media just printing for the sake of printing whatever little drama a zeleb or their PR likes to promote without ever questioning the details.

Comments

• Options
    Bunnygirl66Bunnygirl66 Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    Maggie_Moo wrote: »
    Are you like me and just plain old sick and tired of how Zeleb's play the public and Media, to make a living for doing what exactly?

And are you like me, and tired of the Media just printing for the sake of printing whatever little drama a zeleb or their PR likes to promote without ever questioning the details.

Yes totally but all the time the public lap this stuff up in the trashy mags then the demand just goes on and on. I used to quite like a flick through OK! once upon a time long before the days of Towie etc. Now, I have no interest whatsoever. Not a decent celeb in sight and just full of self promoting Zeleb rubbish.
  • Options
    Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Completely.
    But I suppose there must be a market for these things, or the Sidebar of Shame and the multitude of low-rent magazines that seem to exist purely to print photographs of z-listers dragging their children round a garden centre and posing in their swimwear on "holiday" wouldn't sell many copies would they?
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    The media play along because it is in their interest to.

your genuine A-List stars, Madonna, Tom Cruise etc are only interested in talking to the media when it suits them, when they have something to promote. Sure the odd big celeb may slip up and have a scandal every now and again, but that isn't guaranteed and the mags have pages to fill each week.

that's where your Jodie Marshes, stars of 'The Only Towie Is Chelsea on Ice' they'll turn up to anything for a bit of cash or exposure...talk dirty, slag off other celebs, the magazines get their sales, the z-lister gets some cash and they are all happy.

the only way for this to end is for the public to wake up and stop buying this nonsense.
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    I think it's not so much people buying it as clicking on it! I'm guilty of clicking on those links purely to mock at the way they can make a story out of a zeleb doing their shopping or leaving the house while pregnant (aka flaunting their bump) and clicks for whatever reason = money.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's not so much people buying it as clicking on it! I'm guilty of clicking on those links purely to mock at the way they can make a story out of a zeleb doing their shopping or leaving the house while pregnant (aka flaunting their bump) and clicks for whatever reason = money.

Thats my problem as well. I think they're a bunch of absolute muppets but I can't resist clicking on the links just to see how staged the photos are or just how weak a story the DM can make from a photo of a TOWIE person buying a coffee.

It's more about the freak show element than being actually interested that makes people click
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Thats my problem as well. I think they're a bunch of absolute muppets but I can't resist clicking on the links just to see how staged the photos are or just how weak a story the DM can make from a photo of a TOWIE person buying a coffee.

It's more about the freak show element than being actually interested that makes people click

I'm the same, I know how awful the daiymail is but I do go to their page and read their stories, if only because they are pretty amusing at how blatant they are written and the comments make me laugh so much, I'm sure half of the commentators are parodies.
  • Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It obviously does work because some of these muppets actually have fans.

I cannot, for the life of me, fathom that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It obviously does work because some of these muppets actually have fans.

I cannot, for the life of me, fathom that.

Obviously I don't know everyone in the world lol but I'm on a few forums and was an avid visitor of the DM sidebar of shame for a while- I have never heard/seen anyone say they are a fan of Chantelle ... I really really do wonder how she gets so much press coverage???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Completely.
    But I suppose there must be a market for these things, or the Sidebar of Shame and the multitude of low-rent magazines that seem to exist purely to print photographs of z-listers dragging their children round a garden centre and posing in their swimwear on "holiday" wouldn't sell many copies would they?

True enough, there has to be a market, and I suppose it's a win, win for the Zelebs and the mag's, it does amaze me the extent that some of these Zelebs go to for the attention.
    Nothing seems out to be out of bounds, their whole thought process has to be slightly self centred, obsessive and manipulative IMO. I wonder are those traits in their personality or is it something they learn with time.
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit to being flummoxed how the money cycle is made - I get that DM charge advertisers money for sticking an ad at the beginning of a crap youtube vid of a celeb, but how does the celeb / pap / media earn actual money from punter clicking on a link?

Genuinely interested if anyone can explain the whole cycle in laymans terms for someone who doesnt really understand pay per clip (I used to think people were saying 'paperclip')
  • Options
    Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    What annoys me is that when some young star - Justin Bieber/Miley Cyrus etc - will do something entirely to generate publicity and people will call it a "meltdown" as if they're somehow out of control, when said stars know exactly what they're doing and have the team behind them to sort it all out.

But people like to feel cleverer or more grounded in reality than celebs so they'll happily believe they've genuinely gone nuts instead. If everyone just ignored them they'd go away, which right now looks like the final fate of Lady Gaga.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pixie24 wrote: »

Ohh u poor thing!! Will Power :o ..... Maybe we should change this thread to a DO NOT CLICK ON THE Zeleb list LINK's support group..... ;-)
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is just ridiculous the Z - lebs who are not even attempting to sell any talent or do any type of job. The worst in UK being Katie Price closely followed by Kerry Katona. Both have earned millions by selling their totally dysfunctional lives to a segment of society who seem fixated on living their lives vicariously. It started out I think as 21st century gossips over the garden fence. Oh have you heard what ......... has been up to? It has moved on to something far more destructive. The fact that these individuals are 'looked up to' as women to admire is beyond comprehension. Trouble is it is the majority of folks who are using them for a bit of gossip who keep them in the limelight. If that stopped them they wouldn't be around to be aspirational role models for a small but growing underclass.
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrstim wrote: »
    Obviously I don't know everyone in the world lol but I'm on a few forums and was an avid visitor of the DM sidebar of shame for a while- I have never heard/seen anyone say they are a fan of Chantelle ... I really really do wonder how she gets so much press coverage???

It's that circular thing where we find them ridiculous and the rag mags exploit that. Chantelle is a prime example (Imogen Thomas another), two people who do nothing and really should not have media profiles at all, but have, due solely to their willingness to exploit their desperation to earn a buck. It's a win-win for them as they have nothing to lose. Negative interest has become no different to positive interest as far as the rags are concerned since both generate clicks. The rags know that staged 'fat Chentelle looking worried on a beach clutching her blubber' and 'Imogen Thomas enjoying a solo picnic' will attract an avalanche of eye-rolling disdain and laughter - and as long as we're clicking, they're winning.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    lozenger wrote: »
    I must admit to being flummoxed how the money cycle is made - I get that DM charge advertisers money for sticking an ad at the beginning of a crap youtube vid of a celeb, but how does the celeb / pap / media earn actual money from punter clicking on a link?

Genuinely interested if anyone can explain the whole cycle in laymans terms for someone who doesnt really understand pay per clip (I used to think people were saying 'paperclip')

the Z-list celeb doesn't make money from the advertising, just the website/newspaper does.

The celebs get their cash from being paid to appear at events, being paid to write a column in a magazine, get paid for being on Celeb Big Brother, I'm A Celebrity etc being paid to promote brands (Kerry Katona and Iceland for example) and they get a lot of 'free' stuff at all the VIP parties and film premières they go to. They make cash, the media get their cash from clicks, newspaper sales and everyone is happy.

there's also a murky world where young female celebs go and 'entertain' wealthy businessmen, mainly in the middle East...but to be fair to our British Z-listers the names i've seen mentioned are generally American.
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Z-list celeb doesn't make money from the advertising, just the website/newspaper does.

The celebs get their cash from being paid to appear at events, being paid to write a column in a magazine, get paid for being on Celeb Big Brother, I'm A Celebrity etc being paid to promote brands (Kerry Katona and Iceland for example) and they get a lot of 'free' stuff at all the VIP parties and film premières they go to. They make cash, the media get their cash from clicks, newspaper sales and everyone is happy.

there's also a murky world where young female celebs go and 'entertain' wealthy businessmen, mainly in the middle East...but to be fair to our British Z-listers the names i've seen mentioned are generally American.
    They can also be found on yachts in the Cote D'Azure! There's a few that made quite a nice income by having a different "boyfriend" with a boat every summer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »

The zeleb/pap is paid up front, Loz, it's the advertisers that pay for strategic space and the income generated is from transactions as a result of those clicks. All an advertiser needs to look at is how 'popular' (this can be positive or negative 'popular') an individual is for them to take ad space.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    For the most part they dont play the media-the media and the zelebs play the public its a symbiotic relationship that financially benefits the zelebs and the media.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Got to say, not really. By the very nature of zelebs, they have no option but to play the media, and if the public are willing to buy into them, then it's the public who need to take a long hard look at themselves, rather than the zelebs.

Zelebs, for me, are amusing for the most part. But then, I never come across them other than on here and they can be very entertaining in a lighthearted albeit eye-rolling way.

I think they're easily avoided so if you actually find them offensive, maybe just stop clicking and reading about them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bela wrote: »
    Got to say, not really. By the very nature of zelebs, they have no option but to play the media, and if the public are willing to buy into them, then it's the public who need to take a long hard look at themselves, rather than the zelebs.

Zelebs, for me, are amusing for the most part. But then, I never come across them other than on here and they can be very entertaining in a lighthearted albeit eye-rolling way.

I think they're easily avoided so if you actually find them offensive, maybe just stop clicking and reading about them.

Thanks for the advise Elle, unfortunately with social media their not as easy to avoid as they seem , they use whatever means to seek attention and gain headlines. I don't find them offensive, I do find their and the medias perception that the public believe every pic and exclusive to be truthful, even when they can completely contradict themselves in their next exclusive, insulting to say the least. But there fans seem to take in every word without question...
  • Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advise Elle, unfortunately with social media their not as easy to avoid as they seem , they use whatever means to seek attention and gain headlines. I don't find them offensive, I do find their and the medias perception that the public believe every pic and exclusive to be truthful, even when they can completely contradict themselves in their next exclusive, insulting to say the least. But there fans seem to take in every word without question...

That is true of all of them. What I don't understand is the need to attack one, and defend others.

It's illogical.

They lie because it works for them, the fans fall for it, others don't. Either way, they get attention...which generates income for the press, which guarantees more headlines, which leads to more reaction and thus the cycle continues.

Exposing the lies tends to recreate the cycle. Although Jodie Marsh did eventually implode due to her constant lies and has failed to repackage herself.

If you take any Orange Media **** seriously, you do so at your own peril. The press know the lies, but they print the nonsense anyway because the outrage at the lies works just as well as the devotion. Attention is not the same as devotion. But it is just as effective when it comes to generating revenue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is true of all of them. What I don't understand is the need to attack one, and defend others.

It's illogical.

They lie because it works for them, the fans fall for it, others don't. Either way, they get attention...which generates income for the press, which guarantees more headlines, which leads to more reaction and thus the cycle continues.

Exposing the lies tends to recreate the cycle. Although Jodie Marsh did eventually implode due to her constant lies and has failed to repackage herself.

If you take any Orange Media **** seriously, you do so at your own peril. The press know the lies, but they print the nonsense anyway because the outrage at the lies works just as well as the devotion. Attention is not the same as devotion. But it is just as effective when it comes to generating revenue.

It is a tangled web they weave that's for sure, as for attacking and defending these talentless people, I can only guess that to defend individuals, you either need to be a fan or the individuals have publicly attacked another zeleb, and the public responses with the media constantly adding fuel to the fire. The rule seems to be any publicity is better than none.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But I really don't think that's the case, Maggie. Mostly it's just space filling and imo for amusement and more often than not, done in a knowing way There will always be fans who go with the zeleb flow and buy into it but most people see all the zeleb drama for what it is - attention-seeking, space-filling nonsense, worth little more than an eyeroll/laugh.

I do also think it's pretty easy to avoid them on social media. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bela wrote: »
    But I really don't think that's the case, Maggie. Mostly it's just space filling and imo for amusement and more often than not, done in a knowing way There will always be fans who go with the zeleb flow and buy into it but most people see all the zeleb drama for what it is - attention-seeking, space-filling nonsense, worth little more than an eyeroll/laugh.

I do also think it's pretty easy to avoid them on social media. :)

I don't find it amusing in the least, that talentless people (including certain "pop stars" ) can make a healthy living for " oh print a story about me" or put my name to a column. And the sad part is young girls read the rubbish and don't roll their eyes but actually think of them as a roll model.
    But this is the world we live in, reality TV with wannabe's queuing up, has beens queuing up to try and get back their 15 mins of fame. Give me an old fashioned sit com on Dave anyday of the week 😄