Why is Microsoft Office so expensive when so many need it?

1235»

Comments

• iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really need MS Office and the trial will run out soon. It's around £70-£90 to buy the disc(s). It's so expensive, i'm not sure what to do.

Why is it so expensive!?

its not expensive.

how much would you expect to pay for such a professional word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software?

it used to cost around £300 - its only in the last few years that they changed the student edition to the home and student edition.

Iain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    I am confused as to why any student in their right mind would pay £49 for the "Academic" version when they can get the Pro Plus version for £38 :confused::confused::confused:

Have you seen the calibre of student in university these days?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    I am confused as to why any student in their right mind would pay £49 for the "Academic" version when they can get the Pro Plus version for £38 :confused::confused::confused:

who knows why it is cheaper from a reseller rather then direct from MS. The only thing I can think of is MS version comes with support and the other one does not
  • cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's too expensive for my liking, i have no money
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    who knows why it is cheaper from a reseller rather then direct from MS. The only thing I can think of is MS version comes with support and the other one does not

Who needs to pay for support!

I have these handy people who phone me up randomly and tell me what's wrong with my "pc running a microsoft operating system". :p
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It may be too expensive for you, but MS has clearly decided that the prices they charge are what the market will bear.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Troll alertz.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member

If only there was a free alternative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    What kind of support would that be, I wonder? It's bad enough to listen to your own nan asking why the cupholder retreats into the machine on a restart, never mind other peoples'.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    I'm assuming that was typed with your tongue firmly in your cheek. :p

Is it too obvious to say "because there is"? (And both have been mentioned in this thread already.)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really need MS Office and the trial will run out soon. It's around £70-£90 to buy the disc(s). It's so expensive, i'm not sure what to do.

Why is it so expensive!?

Because there is no competition any more
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »

Indeed, if only there was a free, open, office type application .... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose eventually i'll have to pay full price and save
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which feature is only in ms office that you need?
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    iain wrote: »
    its not expensive.

how much would you expect to pay for such a professional word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software?

it used to cost around £300 - its only in the last few years that they changed the student edition to the home and student edition.

Iain
    I remember the expensive days as well. If you wanted office (especially the full suite) you had to pay £400-500 or more or buy an OEM edition for about £150. Also the student and teacher license editions came before the cheap home ones so home users were stuffed for ages. £70-90 seems like a bargain now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which feature is only in ms office that you need?

Microsoft word. But it has to be MS word. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Jeez, that makes me feel old.

I can remember when word or excel on it's own was that price.:)
    iain wrote: »
    its not expensive.

Iain
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you can rearm office to give you upto 5 extra trial periods basically giving you 180 days of use

but after that you will have to get a key so atleast you have the time to put 25p aside every day for it
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original poster has been given several options on how to buy a legitimate copy of Office for not a lot of money so either he or she does not read the help offered or is just winding us up. This thread is verging on trolling IMHO.

He or she either stumps up a few quid, goes the pirate copy route (not at all recommended) or uses some free software and deal with the inherent incompatibilities.

As my dad would have said "Pee or get off the pot"
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    you can rearm office to give you upto 5 extra trial periods basically giving you 180 days of use

Are you sure about that? I know it works for Windows, but...
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? I know it works for Windows, but...

http://techdows.com/2010/05/2-ways-to-extend-office-2010-trial-for-free-for-six-months-usage.html
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? Libre Office can save in proper Microsoft docx format now (old Open Office couldn't).
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep, troll.
  • aleen123aleen123 Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    You can also look into Ability Office.