Auf Wiedersehen Pet

13»

Comments

• Options
    patpendingpatpending Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cheeks wrote: »
    what about in the second series when he was scratching his nuts whilst watching Open University....? :D
    Open University? Look forward to seeing that one, I've currently got to episode 11 from the first...
  • Options
    cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AWP is so addictive....last year I had some spare time and was watching about 6-8 episodes a day......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AWP is so addictive....last year I had some spare time and was watching about 6-8 episodes day......
    it's brilliant. Mind you, it's hard to keep that rate up even with all the series to watch unless you start watching the same episode again within the week...

Even when 8 episodes will fit on one videotape or DVD, and you can fill one DVD just by hitting "Dub", it's hard to watch more than two at once IMHO...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A truly great first series but sadly downhill after that.

The show jumped the shark when Oz sang at the Country and Western club and was sensitive and brilliant, not recognisable Oz characteristics. The second series was spoiled by clumsy editing as a result of Gary Holton's death.

The best show on TV ever though.
  • Options
    leithladleithlad Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A truly great first series but sadly downhill after that.

The show jumped the shark when Oz sang at the Country and Western club and was sensitive and brilliant, not recognisable Oz characteristics. The second series was spoiled by clumsy editing as a result of Gary Holton's death.

The best show on TV ever though.

Oz was always a big country and western fan tho and i for one thought when he sang "I cant be myself" it was totally Oz when he gave the surprised look after he sang it so well.ahhh the memories of fridays at 9 on itv in the eighties:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AWP is so addictive....last year I had some spare time and was watching about 6-8 episodes a day......

Totally agree.

It's like a warm bath. I still laugh out loud at some of the dialogue. Just looking at Tim Spall cheers me up!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    what about in the second series when he was scratching his nuts whilst watching Open University....? :D

yeah, this clip, funny http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iq7sfj5sFYk
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first 2 series were great.

Thought Bill Paterson was superb as slimeball Ally Fraser in series 2.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is one of my all time favourites too, sheer genius tv and you cannot help but like all the main characters.

Interesting how Moxey had a stutter at first but it vanished in later series. And I genuinely thought Tim Spall was a brummie because his accent as Barry is second to none. Another little fact is that Kevin Whately is older than Tim Healy and Jimmy Nail but he played the youngest of the 3 geordies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone else noted a characteristic of Clement and La Frenais' writing in that the females are either a great sister or an annoying spouse?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else noted a characteristic of Clement and La Frenais' writing in that the females are either a great sister or an annoying spouse?
    hmm. That doesn't explain Dagmar, though...I see from a preview that there is a film starring Timothy Spall as the Allied executioner killing Germans ("Pierrepoint")...of all the hut members he isn't the most likely to "pull the lever myself"...
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    patpending wrote: »
    hmm. That doesn't explain Dagmar, though...I see from a preview that there is a film starring Timothy Spall as the Allied executioner killing Germans ("Pierrepoint")...of all the hut members he isn't the most likely to "pull the lever myself"...

Yes the movie is a couple of years old, i rented it and watched it about 3 months back. Superb film, i recommend it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this programme would be commissioned now. I doubt it.

Timothy Spall is an amazing actor. His delivery of the line "Unless by some amazing coincidence she has access to my passbook from the West Bromwich and District Building Society" still has me in stitches. And has for his description of the origin of the term Jerry built........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love AWP.

whenever someone mentions it or i see anyhting about it the first bit i always think about is from the first episode

"Rule Britania, marmalade and jam, five chinese crqackers up your arse, bang bang bang bang bang":D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Well done Nev, number one in the tournament of arseholes"

"you've made us about as welcome as a fart in an astronauts suit"

"call me tiger"

"how can someone so ugly make a sound like that ?"

"wall meet again.....baconballs !"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, that's the one.....:D
  • Options
    Bonesy84Bonesy84 Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    been watching it again recently on DVD sheer class the first two series :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is one of my all time favourites too, sheer genius tv and you cannot help but like all the main characters.

Interesting how Moxey had a stutter at first but it vanished in later series. And I genuinely thought Tim Spall was a brummie because his accent as Barry is second to none. Another little fact is that Kevin Whately is older than Tim Healy and Jimmy Nail but he played the youngest of the 3 geordies.
    Just re-read your post.

I believed Barr-oi genuinely was Brum, too.

And I would never have believed Kevin Whately was the oldest of those three! :)