Scripting in football games..

TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
Forum Member
✭✭✭
..and I suppose any other sports games. Does it ruin your experience? It does for me. I understand why it's there, Mario Kart would have been a fail without the catch-up mode...but is it really necessary is football and sports games? Surely football games should be left 'organic'.

I suppose if player A is better than player B and is beating him 10-0 all the time player B will get bored quite quickly but it still waters things down knowing it's there.

Comments

• BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Ah, rubber banding, how I loathe thee...... :)
  • TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubber banding a good way to describe it. You can actually feel it kick in on PES. Don't play FIFA but I'm guessing it's as, if not more prevalent on that.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's definitely in Fifa. At least until Fifa 12.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's certainly present in Fifa'13 too, though EA swear that they don't use anything of the sort. Yeah right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    It ruined Football Manager 12 for me
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In single player games its fine, but multiplayer games, when it should be 1 on 1 or 6 V 6 or whatever there should be no outside interference or nothing that isn't 50/50. Imagine playing COD multiplayer and the game decides for whatever reason to detonate random mortars directly on one team. Laughable, but games like FIFA, PES etc do it every game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry this may seem stupid but what do ya'll mean by Scripting and rubber banding?...
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well in racing games it means if say your say 10 seconds ahead of the car behind, the game will speed up the car behind so it can catch you up easier. It's not realistic or fun

It's the reason I stopped playing midnight club LA lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst Rubber banding i've seen was in NFS undercover, though i did like the game

One minute you'd be last with no way to move up a spot and your finishing time would be quicker than the domination time for the race

Next race you'd lead the race for most of the time, be 30 seconds ahead of second place and still be 20 seconds outside the domination time
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always find it funny in racing games when they can close a 5-8 second gap but can't overtake unless I make a mistake. I hate it when I'm winning by a couple of goals and the difficulty seems to be amped up to Super Professional Elite and I lose suddenly, really does my nut in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIFA has terrible, terrible multiplayer 'rubber banding', in local multiplayer at least. Ever played a match where you can score 3 or 4 goals in quick succession, but later you can barely keep possession? Totally faked and unfair, because it can happen to one player for a whole match. In a mostly even game, my brother and I would usually draw or have a narrow win. But when it rubber bands badly, I've won something like 14-0.

You can tell when it happens because suddenly you can get around any player, shots are more accurate and opposing defenders seem lethargic. And your opponent will get rather angry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    not rubber-banding, but has anyone ever tried to lose and just can't? played a kid once on FIFA something, on the PS2 (not online, he was sat next to me), and when I scored a goal he would restart. I just could not give the ball away and was scoring from every inch of the pitch with every kick of the ball.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not rubber-banding, but has anyone ever tried to lose and just can't? played a kid once on FIFA something, on the PS2 (not online, he was sat next to me), and when I scored a goal he would restart. I just could not give the ball away and was scoring from every inch of the pitch with every kick of the ball.

I was in a small Fifa tournament in a game store and the number of people taking part was odd so a staff member played against a small kid and was trying really hard to let the kid win

but the staff member accidentally scored and was getting worried about how it would look if a member of staff was winning games in the tourney, in the end i think he just gave the kid a by and let him go on to the next round