[Game] The X Factor: Mix It Up! (series 2) Live Show #6

Comments

• SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Question.
    Ooh, I just remembered who Luciana is! This was an amazing song choice by your mentor, GQ. I thought the vocals were perfect for you and there isn’t much else I can say. I think if your second performance is up to the standard of this on then you’re going to be absolutely sailing through to the semi-final (I'm going to be saying this too much tonight, I just know it). Well done, GQ.
  • jag02010jag02010 Posts: 7,347
    Forum Member
    Good Question - U B The Bass by Luciana

Girls, I absolutely 100% loved that performance. It was you in your prime element, and I think that going forward, you're one of the biggest forces to be reckoned with. In what I see as a perpetual battle between you and Black Ivory, you once again win. I think you're just the better urban pop act, and when you two are undoubtedly splitting votes, I think that this might be a week where one of you ends up in the bottom 2. I actually liked your performance last week, and I'm happy to see that your fans saw you through that blip on the map of an otherwise near spotless record. It shows you have a fan base - one we should be scared of - and that you've got a lot of support, especially from me. Great work!
  • EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great comments for Good Question there, just what they needed after the dip they had last week! If these two girls are among your favourites, don't forget to rank them highly later tonight!

Indie time everyone! Kicking off the second theme, it's the same contestant that kicked off the first theme: Danielle Blakey, this time singing Not Yet by Jenn Bostic!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rZPrDct1gY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danielle Blakey.
    This song is absolutely beautiful by the wonderful Jenn Bostic. Justin mentioned this song to me a couple weeks ago; I remembered it and thought that this song definitely has to be used for the quarterfinal. I think you share a similar quality to Jenn, Danielle, and that quality is the ability to captivate an audience with only the gentle tone of your voice. I hope you’re safe tonight Danielle, I really do – very well done.

And I just realised I sent in her name as 'Jenna' when it's 'Jenn'... I was watching Jenna Marbles at the time. :p
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danielle Blakey: Oh Hello Danielle, this was a nice performance, I say nice because I genuinely don't have an awful lot to say about it, it was bluesy, it was emotive and you definitely delivered the emotion but it wasn't a standout vocal for me and like Jack, I do sort of wish this song had been used for Nicola as I see it fitting her style better, that said, I still think you did a great job!

Black Ivory: Girls, why is it that the mentors have started picking songs for one act when they would definitely suit another of their acts better? Again this was good but I feel like it suits Good Question better, I almost feel like the vocals are too strong for you, I prefer a lighter, poppier feel and I thought that this was too gritty urban IMO. It was good but I just feel like you've had better weeks.

Ethan Boroian: Ethan, this is probably your best performance in quite a few weeks. The last few weeks you have sort of lagged behind in my opinion, never quite figuring on my radar or if you did, being on the other end of the spectrum so to speak. This week wasn't perfect, I do think the song choice was perhaps a little safe for you but it was a damn sight better than some of your previous performances and may well have just put you back in the running.

Princes and Rogues: I wasn't a fan of this guys, I don't think it was your best performance. I think we're so used to you doing these quirky indie pop songs that when you do indie folk, much more stripped back and focused on the acoustics and the harmonies, it doesn't feel as polished. I mean, vocally, this was fine but for me, it just felt a little monotone, it kind of got to a point and then just stayed there. Guys, I do think you're genuinely good artists but I just wasn't a massive fan of this performance.

Nicola Marie: Nicola, that was a really strong performance, I really like you as a singer and think that although you had a set-back with the bottom two last week, you deserve to go through this week as this was a really strong vocal, for me, you are easily one of the forces to be reckoned with. Zak knows your voice so well and you did a great job, congratulations!

Good Question: This is you girls back at your best. Last week, if I'm being honest I thought you probably deserved to go home but this week, you were easily the best. That was a fantastic performance, great vocals, loved the edge and just adored the whole feel of the performance, you girls are most definitely back on top form tonight, congratulations!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Satanel wrote: »
    And I just realised I sent in her name as 'Jenna' when it's 'Jenn'... I was watching Jenna Marbles at the time. :p

Haha, I fixed it for you (now I just need to remember to fix it in the summary post later as well, which is probably not going to happen :p).
    Forum Member
    Danielle Blakey - Not Yet by Jenna Bostic

This was your best performance of the season and one of my favorites overall, Danielle. It was near perfection, a great way to return to the roots of your audition, and a performance that allowed your clarity, tone and emotion to shine brilliantly. You're incredible, and I think this was a finals-worthy performance.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danielle Blakey: This was a lot better Danielle, the first performance wasn't bad but it wasn't a standout. Now that song may have still been quite moody and dark but I think the vocals and the whole feel of the performance was exactly what you're all about, I was really impressed and think that you have a very good chance of going far in this competition, congratulations Danielle!
  • jackel1234jackel1234 Posts: 5,218
    Forum Member
    Danielle Blakey

Your mentor literally chose and artist I cannot stand in the slightest but luckily I am going to not let that cloud my vision. I think this was a pretty good performance for you and I was surprised at how much I liked it. After a bit of a subpar first performance you really did a good job with your second performance and although I maybe would’ve liked something upbeat (look at me being picky tehe) I still think this was a good performance and bravo to you Danielle as it was a good performance and simply bravo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great comments for Danielle as well, has she finally thrust herself into the spotlights after a good 5 weeks in the shadows of the others contestants? Jack sure was taking his sweet time with his comment there by the way.

Speaking about Jack, it's time for one of his groups again to sing. Please give it up for Black Ivory once again, who will sing Don't Ever Come Back by Duchess tonight.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op78m-QNik8
    Note: Song starts at 0:28
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Ivory.
    I love SB.TV; it’s where all the amazing artists are hiding! I thought this was a great song choice for you girls tonight. I liked the mixture of upbeat and downbeat throughout the song. I do kind of wish it wasn’t an acoustic performance; I would have preferred the actual song I think. But other than that, it was a good performance. Well done, Black Ivory, and I wish you the best of luck with the results.
    Forum Member
    Black Ivory - Don't Ever Come Back by Duchess

This was better, but nowhere near perfect girls. You're a pop group, and I think this song allowed you to play up those strengths, but the song was just so dull. It had a nice blend of harmonies and a nice vocal line, but I just want you to come out of the box with a banging, pop number like your audition and like some of your earlier material. Jack has kinda deviated from that a lot, and as I said earlier, he is just better with GQ. So, that's my take on this.
    Forum Member
    Black Ivory

Similar to Princes and Rogues first performance I though tonight was a good idea to go fully stripped back and allow your harmonies and extremely strong vocals to come through as up to now you’ve basically done nothing but upbeat and powerful urban songs and tonight we’ve just let your vocals come through. I think this performance was one of the strongest you’ve done so far and you’ve done simply amazing tonight with both of your performances and I honestly think you’ve done brilliantly tonight with both of your performances and you really deserve to go through tonight and you’ve been simply amazing ladies so bravo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still not a perfect set of comments for the girls here, but Black Ivory did a whole lot better comments-wise this time in comparison to their first performance tonight.

It's time for Justin's trump card once again. Singing Bullet by Steel Train, it's the one and only Ethan Boroian!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeKM8rAl9xo
    Forum Member
    Ethan Boroian

Your first performance was really good and this one felt really meh for me anyway. I think vocally it was okay for you and the song was pretty decent but it was just one of those songs you can’t really go wow it was amazing, it’s just a song that you go yeah it was decent. I think purely because of your first performance you’re safe but I hope next week you can have two amazing performances as amazing as your first performance. Either way you’ve done pretty well tonight Ethan so credit to your mentor on that front.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethan Boroian.
    Originally, I was very worried about this song choice; but then once the chorus kicked in, I actually started to really like it. I thought the vocals were well suited to Ethan (though this could be said for most male vocalists these days!) and I genuinely quite enjoyed the song itself. There’s not much more I can ask for if it suits the act and the song itself is good is there? Well done Ethan, I think you’ll be making it through no problem tonight.
    Forum Member
    Ethan Boroian - Bullet by Steel Train

Another great performance, Ethan. I think this might be your best night of the competition, and you've showed off 2 very different sides of your performance style. I think this is you at your finest and I'm so happy you're still here and we can keep making magic together. You're doing amazingly well and I hope the votes see you through to the next show!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another set of incredible comments for Ethan tonight, the only thing he needs to secure a place in the semifinal is YOUR vote!

They lost round one to Ethan in terms of the comments they got, so hoping to win this time are Princes & Rogues singing Best Day Of My Life by American Authors!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r28mcaJLUV4
    Derek: I had a dream so big and loud
    I jumped so high I touched the clouds

All:Wo-o-o-o-o-oh x2

Derek: I stretched my hands out to the sky
    We danced with monsters through the night

All: Wo-o-o-o-o-oh x2

Derek: I'm never gonna look back
    Woah, never gonna give it up
    No, please dont wake me now

All:Oo-o-o-o-oo
    This is gonna be the best day of my li-ife
    My li-i-i-i-i-ife
    Oo-o-o-o-oo
    My li-i-i-i-i-ife

Ashley: I howled at the moon with friends
    And then the sun came crashing in

Ashley: But all the possibilities
    No limits just epiphanies

Ashley: I'm never gonna look back
    Woah, never gonna give it up
    No, just dont wake me now

All: Oo-o-o-o-oo
    My li-i-i-i-i-ife
    Oo-o-o-o-oo
    My li-i-i-i-i-ife

Ashley and Derek: I hear it calling outside my window
    I feel it in my soul (soul)
    The stars were burning so bright
    The sun was out 'til midnight
    I say we lose control (control)

All: This is gonna be the best day of my li-ife
    My li-i-i-i-i-ife
    Oo-o-o-o-o
    My li-i-i-i-i-ife
    This is gonna be, this is gonna be, this is gonna be
    The best day of my life
    Everything is looking up, everybody up now
    My li-i-i-i-i-ife
    Forum Member
    Princes and Rogues - Best Day Of My Life by American Authors

Better, but nowhere near your best. This song just seems like a kind of week 1 or week 2 performance, and we've seen so many good moments from you that I'm a bit underwhelmed with this one. I didn't hate this one at all, but I'm nowhere near jumping out of my seat with excitement. I think you're in trouble, boys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Princes & Rogues.
    This song is so well-known! I’m actually surprised it’s in the indie category. I thought this was a great song choice for you tonight; it’s wonderful to see how well Jack knows his groups. I do think since the standard is so high tonight that you’ll be making an appearance in the bottom three (if I’m being entirely honest), but this would be an excellent song choice to go out on! Well done and best of luck for the results.
    Forum Member
    Princes and Rogues

Guys I knew tonight that I had to choose this song for you as I have been waiting what feels like an eternity to give it to you as I simply think it is flawless for you. The fun side of it, the harmonies and the whole vibe just screams Princes and Rogues and I really think you guys have done an amazing job tonight with this performance. Unfortunately we both know that tonight, unless a miracle happens, you’re most likely going to leave the competition but I think you gave yourself one heck of a send off with the two performance you’ve given tonight so if this is the end of the road for my indie boys then all I can say is you’ve exceeded expectations and done brilliantly throughout this whole competition and I couldn’t be prouder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Kevin: "Tell da EOS man that there's been a powercut hence my lack of commenting." :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Better comments this time around for Princes & Rogues, but it still seems that they're on the losing side of the battle of the male acts tonight...

Hoping to impress the whole panel this time as well, last week's sing-off survivor again. Ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for Nicola Marie singing Never Enough by Trixie Whitley.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHsDdRiFPUY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola Marie.
    Hey Nicola! I remember hearing this song somewhere, probably from a recent game like NEXFG – so whoever used it is amaze. I thought this performance was amazing; the song itself is so good as it’s filled with a lot of attitude and I think you definitely suit songs filled with attitude. I thought the vocals of Trixie Whitley were quite deep and rich in tone – therefore similar to yours! I can’t fault this performance, Nicola, and I hope the other judges can’t as well! Well done, I so hope you’re able to make it to the semi-finals (same with Danielle, of course) as I think you deserve it after tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Satanel wrote: »
    From Kevin: "Tell da EOS man that there's been a powercut hence my lack of commenting." :D

Noted, not that I was too bothered about it to be honest after having to do monologues for 2 shows. :p