Data usage

muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If someone has 250mb data allowance and sends by email over 3G a file of say 500kb as a PDF how many files can they send monthly

I have an end user who is racking up thousands of MB of dada but it's downloading at obscure times huge packets. We can't see why or how it's happening. Only third party App we use is dam scanner

Comments

• grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone has a paltry 250MB per month data allowance and does a lot of email, then they need to avoid sending any attachments at all.

You don't say what device this is on, but that could affect how things work - for instance BlackBerry have data compression through their servers which other services do not.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    muddipaws wrote: »
    If someone has 250mb data allowance and sends by email over 3G a file of say 500kb as a PDF how many files can they send monthly

I have an end user who is racking up thousands of MB of dada but it's downloading at obscure times huge packets. We can't see why or how it's happening. Only third party App we use is dam scanner

the quick answer is 500 times.

can the device not tell you what is using the data? most can.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is an Android phone and the built in tools don't tell you enough about the data usage then try this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm&hl=en_GB

Should tell you all you need to know about where and when the data is being eaten up.

I see they also do a version for iOS

http://www.mobidia.com/products/mdmforios/
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    500 is the quick pure answer, with the tcp overheads(10%?) and general os smartphone connectivity, they have email client running and if it's android plenty of other google syncs, I'd say less than 50. Do they push or pull their email etc. Are they creating these PDF,s on the phone or getting sent via email? Do they never use the internet or maps to check things.
    Forum Member
    corf wrote: »
    500 is the quick pure answer, with the tcp overheads(10%?) and general os smartphone connectivity, they have email client running and if it's android plenty of other google syncs, I'd say less than 50. Do they push or pull their email etc. Are they creating these PDF,s on the phone or getting sent via email? Do they never use the internet or maps to check things.

you're saying that simply running android takes 225MB leaving only 25MB of usable data?
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, we are not getting the whole story, I should of worded it differently, I'd bet those pdf's are coming from somewhere, I'd guess the email client is using the majority of it,

If someone in my organisation was responsible for sending 50 0.5MB pdf's per month on a regular smartphone with office Calender syncs and office email syncs. I want them to have more than 250MB per month.

If all they did was generate the PDFs from an offline piece of software and mail then out then it's different but I bet that's not what is happening. For all we know the business software generating the pdf's has regular updates where it pulls images and data to populate the pdf's with or than many more emails and pdf's are received on the phone but not sent out.
    Forum Member
    corf wrote: »
    No, we are not getting the whole story, I should of worded it differently, I'd bet those pdf's are coming from somewhere, I'd guess the email client is using the majority of it,

If someone in my organisation was responsible for sending 50 0.5MB pdf's per month on a regular smartphone with office Calender syncs and office email syncs. I want them to have more than 250MB per month.

If all they did was generate the PDFs from an offline piece of software and mail then out then it's different but I bet that's not what is happening. For all we know the business software generating the pdf's has regular updates where it pulls images and data to populate the pdf's with or than many more emails and pdf's are received on the phone but not sent out.
    i take your point.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    The quick answer is 500 times with no other activity, which isn't ever going to be anything other than a theoretical solution.

Bypassing all the other crap, I'd say you need to increase the data allowance... It's the easiest solution.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IOS has built in data usage monitoring if it's that handset.

If you can tell us what handset it is, we can maybe help you find it.