Options

Will Freesat viewers get free Sky Sports this weekend?

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Will Freesat viewers be able to add the Sky Sports channels for the free taster this weekend??

I wonder if they are really opening them up as FTA, or if they will be FTV??

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,15964_6378051,00.html

It might be worth trying (I am on VM).

Comments

• Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will Freesat viewers be able to add the Sky Sports channels for the free taster this weekend??

I wonder if they are really opening them up as FTA, or if they will be FTV??

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,15964_6378051,00.html

It might be worth trying (I am on VM).
    I don't think so. From what i have read. Sky Sports will be free to Sky subscribers who don't currently subscribe to Sky Sports this weekend. It won't be FTA or FTV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so. From what i have read. Sky Sports will be free to Sky subscribers who don't currently subscribe to Sky Sports this weekend. It won't be FTA or FTV.

It will be FTV because of how the Sky broadcast / encryption system works. So, you'll need a Sky receiver and card or at least a compatible receiver with CAM and card.

Freesat only receives FTA channels.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be FTV because of how the Sky broadcast / encryption system works. So, you'll need a Sky receiver and card or at least a compatible receiver with CAM and card.

It will NOT be FTV - it is free to Sky customers only and that means subscribers only NOT FreesatFromSky card owners. The adverts clearly state customers
  • Options
    gagdegagde Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unless you have a foxsat hdr with the appropriate cam and software which then it can be done as i have myself when our sky box was playing up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

gagde wrote: »
    Unless you have a foxsat hdr with the appropriate cam and software which then it can be done as i have myself when our sky box was playing up.

:confused:
    It will NOT be FTV - it is free to Sky customers only and that means subscribers only NOT FreesatFromSky card owners. The adverts clearly state customers

Well, I have access to both, so we'll see. :)
  • Options
    The Great 208The Great 208 Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    No, it is not free this weekend. Sky are lying (again). You cannot get it without paying money to Sky. That is not free.

gosh - someone's bitter :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw an advert on tv on this and im sure they never mentioned any restrictions so i assume its open to all, anyone viewing satellite tv of any kind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveq3 wrote: »
    I saw an advert on tv on this and im sure they never mentioned any restrictions so i assume its open to all, anyone viewing satellite tv of any kind.

Im pretty sure its only gone down to family pack level in the past & reckon it will be the same this time.

Sky are not stupid enough to allow their expensively obtained sports rights to be transmitted across Europe fta.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to use an old Sky Digibox with a Freesatfromsky card. Sky occasionally gave a free trial of stuff, I remember once getting all the movie channels for free, and they would phone me afterwards to try to get me to subscribe. Therefore when they said 'free' they meant free to view, not free to air. More recently they seem to have offered this 'free' content by putting it on Sky3 instead of the normal programmes (Sky3 being FTV not FTA).

You may also remember when E4 /More4 (can't remember which it was) launched that they advertized it saying it was 'free on all digital platforms', but it turned out that it was initially FTV on satellite. I tried complaining to various bodies, but they all said there was nothing they could do. But then thinking about it, what I complained about was them advertizing it on their website - if Sky are advertizing stuff on TV as free when it isn't (because you'd need to buy a Sky digibox and a FSFS card to view it) then perhaps there is grounds to complain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The link provided by the OP confirms that (on satellite) it will be free only to subscribers to specific services who do not currently subscribe to Sky Sports - so FTV not FTA:
    Who can watch the Sky Sports Open Day?
    All Sky TV, Virgin Media TV, UPC TV, Talk talk TV , Velocity 1, Small World TV and Magnet TV customers that do not subscribe to a Sky Sports package. Freeview, BT Vision and TUTV customers will not be able to watch.

What channels can I watch?
    Sky Sports 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Sky TV customers with a Sky+HD box can watch all 4 channels in HD

Virgin Media TV customers with an HD box can only watch Sky Sports 1 and 2 in HD.

Note that this does cover Virgin customers, but with a more limited set of HD channels.
    Although this doesn't specifically exclude Freesat, they do specifically refer to subscribers. It is also possible that FreesatFromSky customers with a current card might be able to watch, but that isn't clear.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might it be an idea to make Freesat boxes with a card reader, so that free channels that are FTV could be accessed by Freesat users?

Or do people with Freesat oppose this as it could encourage channels to become pay TV?

This weekend, btw, is the first time that VM have done a free trial of a Sky premium channel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might it be an idea to make Freesat boxes with a card reader, so that free channels that are FTV could be accessed by Freesat users?

Dont think there is a need for that with the 3 new satellites being launched & taken into service 2013-2014. We'll see the first one in about a years time with ASTRA 1N (launching Q2 2011)
    being used temporarly until the real replacements are ready
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't see Sky allowing their FTV channels to be viewed from non-Sky boxes unless they were forced to. They only want subscribers and they want to use every means to keep their subscribers locked in.
  • Options
    wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    Now now ... who is lying .... certainly not BSkyB ... :D:D:D:D:D
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    No, it is not free this weekend. Sky are lying (again). You cannot get it without paying money to Sky. That is not free.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a Sky subscriber and I was able to view the ESPN channel's recent free weekend on a Sky box which showed it was FTV as when I tried my Freesat STB in non-Freesat mode it was not viewable. I would assume the free Sky Sports weekend to work similarly.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's footy you're after then all the games are available for free anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    If it's footy you're after then all the games are available for free anyway

how so? become a steward?
  • Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how so? become a steward?

Online stream
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dids858 wrote: »
    Online stream

OH that old chestnut - i prefer my football in HD on my plasma thanks all the same
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    No top English teams in action on Sky this Sunday. Perfect time to offer it free.
  • Options
    HumidHumid Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rjc57 wrote: »
    No top English teams in action on Sky this Sunday. Perfect time to offer it free.

Bolton v Man U.
  • Options
    HumidHumid Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humid wrote: »
    Bolton v Man U.

Just noticed it's not on Sky UK but Sky Italy & Germany, however, Wolves Aston Villa, Newcastle Stoke is on.Sky UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KevinGB wrote: »
    I used to use an old Sky Digibox with a Freesatfromsky card. Sky occasionally gave a free trial of stuff, I remember once getting all the movie channels for free, and they would phone me afterwards to try to get me to subscribe. Therefore when they said 'free' they meant free to view, not free to air. More recently they seem to have offered this 'free' content by putting it on Sky3 instead of the normal programmes (Sky3 being FTV not FTA).

You may also remember when E4 /More4 (can't remember which it was) launched that they advertized it saying it was 'free on all digital platforms', but it turned out that it was initially FTV on satellite. I tried complaining to various bodies, but they all said there was nothing they could do. But then thinking about it, what I complained about was them advertizing it on their website - if Sky are advertizing stuff on TV as free when it isn't (because you'd need to buy a Sky digibox and a FSFS card to view it) then perhaps there is grounds to complain.

Try actually reading the website before going off on a rant
    Who can watch the Sky Sports Open Day?

All Sky TV, Virgin Media TV, UPC TV, Talk talk TV , Velocity 1, Small World TV and Magnet TV customers that do not subscribe to a Sky Sports package. Freeview, BT Vision and TUTV customers will not be able to watch.

FreesatFromSky, freesat and FTA viewers are NOT customers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well it appears that I was totally correct on this:cool: