Men, let's stand up to sexism!

Comments

• PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stood up to sexism once and a woman took my seat. Never again.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elsquid wrote: »
    but I do find it slightly hilarious how upset some people are getting over something that's really not that important or worrying in the grand scheme of things. Use your off/mute buttons!

Sexism isn't important? how about racism? homophobia? what about disability discrimination? I take it these aren't important too?
    "Loose Women being a little bit mean with their words" pfffffffffffft.

You mean like how Andy Gray and Richard Keys were "mean with their words"? funny how that one worked out.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the men want to protest about Loose Women, I'll happily join in. I hate them - esp the hatchet faced whiny one with the toyboy.
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    If the men want to protest about Loose Women, I'll happily join in. I hate them - esp the hatchet faced whiny one with the toyboy.

I've only seen it once. Unutterable shite. Never again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Sexism isn't important? how about racism? homophobia? what about disability discrimination? I take it these aren't important too?

You mean like how Andy Gray and Richard Keys were "mean with their words"? funny how that one worked out.

I said it's not AS important in the grand scheme of the history of sexism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you are saying that sexism towards men is acceptable but sexism towards women is not? thank you for clearing that up.
  • SoyokazeSoyokaze Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However, shoot me down in flames, why are the poor men being so upset about a few women saying some nasty words? That's all it is. It's not like they're oppressing men for hundreds of years and not letting them vote, not read the bible (if that's their bag), not earn a higher wage, been forced into taking their wife's name, not been allowed their own bank accounts and be in control of their own money - or indeed not be allowed their own money. I could go on but hopefully I've been clear enough as to what sort of sexism women have dealt with over the years in comparison to "Loose Women being a little bit mean with their words" pfffffffffffft.

Once again referring to a past which is no longer relevant, and hasn't been since our (great-) grandparents' generation. Either that or you must be really ancient, having been personally oppressed for hundreds of years, denied the vote or to have your own money etc..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you are saying that sexism towards men is acceptable but sexism towards women is not? thank you for clearing that up.

Nope. I think both are abhorrent. I don't know why you always have to rip my (very rare) posts apart and cherry-pick them to suit your agenda.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soyokaze wrote: »
    Once again referring to a past which is no longer relevant, and hasn't been since our (great-) grandparents' generation. Either that or you must be really ancient, having been personally oppressed for hundreds of years, denied the vote or to have your own money etc..

It is awful that women are now allowed to speak and say terrible things.
  • avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't men and women stand up to sexism, no matter which sex it's directed at?

I'll join in with whatever is necessary to get the utter rubbish that is Loose Women off our screens!
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member

But it's not just that is it? Let's be honest it's just a rubbish programme. What about the increase of institutionalised sexism against men that is becoming increasingly more prevalent? Like the unequal parenting rights in the event of a divorce, Harriet Harmans so called equality laws making it legal to discriminate against men at job interviews, the increasing feminisation of primary school education and even something like the lack of recognition that men suffer domestic abuse too? No one is condoning or belittling the discrimination that women suffered for generations, but all that discriminatory behaviour is outlawed now, especially in the workplace and there are penalties if those laws are flouted. Women today do not have to silently take any form of discrimination whatsoever. Complain, and their complaints will be seriously listened to. If men complain about unequal treatment, they are laughed at, told to grow a pair or some other such rubbish. I am all for equality, don't like to see any race, gender or whatever, discriminated against, but that equality is for everyone today, not just a group that was historically mistreated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it's not just that is it? Let's be honest it's just a rubbish programme. What about the increase of institutionalised sexism against men that is becoming increasingly more prevalent? Like the unequal parenting rights in the event of a divorce, Harriet Harmans so called equality laws making it legal to discriminate against men at job interviews, the increasing feminisation of primary school education and even something like the lack of recognition that men suffer domestic abuse too? No one is condoning or belittling the discrimination that women suffered for generations, but all that discriminatory behaviour is outlawed now, especially in the workplace and there are penalties if those laws are flouted. Women today do not have to silently take any form of discrimination whatsoever. Complain, and their complaints will be seriously listened to. If men complain about unequal treatment, they are laughed at, told to grow a pair or some other such rubbish. I am all for equality, don't like to see any race, gender or whatever, discriminated against, but that equality is for everyone today, not just a group that was historically mistreated.

I do agree with everything you've said here. I was pretty much playing devil's advocate. I'm all for gender equality and I do think that men have every right to complain about unfair treatment and discrimination if they are discriminated against. I was just producing a shoe-on-other-foot scenario and went sadly off the rails.
  • SoyokazeSoyokaze Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is awful that women are now allowed to speak and say terrible things.

Aside from the obvious straw man, men and women can say what they like as far as I care. Shame that it only seem to be men who get into trouble over it.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    Then complain long and hard... and I hope women also exercise their rights to complain in equal measure.
    *sniggers childishly*

(Was that sexist? :yawn:)

I totally support men in calling out sexism, and fighting for better support for male victims of rape, domestic abuse and so on. But I can't take anyone seriously who says that men are more discriminated against than women these days. If you're* going to get up in arms about something, at least do a little background research.

*General you, not you, Meso!
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    *sniggers childishly*

(Was that sexist? :yawn:)

I totally support men in calling out sexism, and fighting for better support for male victims of rape, domestic abuse and so on. But I can't take anyone seriously who says that men are more discriminated against than women these days. If you're* going to get up in arms about something, at least do a little background research.

*General you, not you, Meso!

Of course women are still more discriminated against, but by individuals not in law, which is the point I was making. If a woman is discriminated against now, she has recourse to the law. But men do not have that blanket protections now as some laws actively discriminate against men, like in custody battles, or equalities laws which makes it lawful to choose a woman, a member of an ethnic minority or some other minority, over a man when abilities and qualifications are equal. This is discrimination against men written into law.
  • estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plymgary wrote: »
    I'm starting to get really annoyed at the amount of sexism directed towards men on the TV. If it's not right for women to be subjected to it then, I don't see why we should!

How about we start a thread on TV shows/adverts that are derogatory towards men? We could then bombard the regulators with complaints about them.

Just state the adverts (maybe with a link to it on youtube) and tv shows (including the date, time of transmission and what was said) and start standing up for our equal rights too.

To complain about adverts contact the ASA here.

To complain about television programmes contact OFCOM here.

I'm a man and I won't be joining your campaign

Firstly, because this type of crap was done to death last week and secondly you're talking about a few adverts which mildly poke fun at men... not real cases of sexism like domestic abuse, unequal pay, employment rights or being denied the vote!

Frankly your 'campaign' will be embarrassing for most men. Wimps so desperate to be persecuted they whinge about Loose Women or the Boots advert?

Man up... grow some balls etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a man and I won't be joining your campaign

Firstly, because this type of crap was done to death last week and secondly you're talking about a few adverts which mildly poke fun at men... not real cases of sexism like domestic abuse, unequal pay, employment rights or being denied the vote!

Frankly your 'campaign' will be embarrassing for most men. Wimps so desperate to be persecuted they whinge about Loose Women or the Boots advert?

Man up... grow some balls etc

Would you poke fun at women in the same manner you have done towards men in this post?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think the title of this thread should be "Everyone, let's stand up to sexism!"
    We all should and none of us should tolerate it. Having had a think about this thread, and knowing I'm a clumsy writer who means well but comes across as a numpty when trying to make a point, I expect I will complain to Ofcom despite not watching any of the drivel - I'll just need someone to provide me with actual examples of what's been said that's derogatory because I am not having that pile of manure on my tellybox.
  • GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather sit in big comfy chair with a glass of wine whilst sexism makes women do all the "man" jobs I hate or are bad at.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course women are still more discriminated against, but by individuals not in law, which is the point I was making. If a woman is discriminated against now, she has recourse to the law. But men do not have that blanket protections now as some laws actively discriminate against men, like in custody battles, or equalities laws which makes it lawful to choose a woman, a member of an ethnic minority or some other minority, over a man when abilities and qualifications are equal. This is discrimination against men written into law.
    I don't know about custody battles, you might well have a piont there, but the job equalities laws are there to help redress a historical and current inequality. Hopefully they won't be needed for long, but they are needed just now, because women are still hired less, paid less, promoted less, as far as I know.

(And I expect you didn't mean to imply that men from ethnic minorities or other minorities aren't men, but you kinda did :D Just thinking about the poor beleaguered straight white man?)
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graathus wrote: »
    I'd rather sit in big comfy chair with a glass of wine whilst sexism makes women do all the "man" jobs I hate or are bad at.

That's my take on it too (although substitute 'men' for 'women' in that sentence). I still can't change a plug or screw in a lightbulb or put up a shelf or build a flatpack.

And I have no intention of ever learning.:D
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of sexism- I think if 'male sexism' perhaps was taken seriously, female sexism would be more also. It's a world you have to cater to two sexes- not just one. And that also means 'balancing' and ensuring it doesn't swing one way or overcompensate swinging another way.

But that aside, this thread is really just a reaction to the Sky sackings and the fact p.c has gone too far.
  • estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you poke fun at women in the same manner you have done towards men in this post?

No, because "Lady up... grow some tits" doesn't quite have the same ring to it

I'm all for addressing serious issues where men fall behind women, such as health, domestic abuse or education. However, trying to dress up the occasional joke about 'man flu' or being unable to multitask as sexism, is frankly a bit pathetic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because "Lady up... grow some tits" doesn't quite have the same ring to it

I'm all for addressing serious issues where men fall behind women, such as health, domestic abuse or education. However, trying to dress up the occasional joke about 'man flu' or being unable to multitask as sexism, is frankly a bit pathetic.

I agree with your points, however we are now at a stage where women can joke/banter about men, but men cannot joke/banter about women without being branded a sexist. Is this fair?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with your points, however we are now at a stage where women can joke/banter about men, but men cannot joke/banter about women without being branded a sexist. Is this fair?

No it's not fair. I don't go round making jokes about men, I'm well-known for staring blankly at those who do until they shut up. Much as I've always done about jokes about women.

I despise the "stupid men" culture that some women perceive to be normal. I equally despise the "lol women drivers/blondes" sort of rubbish that comes from some men.