Options

Being Human - Series 3 Discussion (**SPOILERS IN TAGS**)

Comments

• Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Tribec wrote: »
    Having looked at the mixed reaction to the relocation on here and given it some thought. My own take is rather mixed, but I guess the thing that makes the show different is that it just seems a bit bigger than it was previously. Where as in the last two series we'd only ever seen like 4 places maximum in each series, (hospital, house, funeral home and then the "research centre), this time it's less time in a central location and more outdoor shots. It's giving the show a bigger and lighter feel due to more shots during the day.
    <snip>

I'll second that.
    The Bristol locations might have meant something to those who know Bristol but it meant nothing to me, bits of it reminded me of bits of Brighton, but it could have been filmed in bits of London for all the difference it made to me.

I suppose if you watch Torchwood, Gavin and Stacey and Dr Who and recognise the locations it could a problem, but I don't watch any of those programs.
  • Options
    ellie1997ellie1997 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone direct me to a complete season episode synopsis because Im truly awful at waiting and have no patience lol
  • Options
    mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say I don't like the comedy element of Being Human, I would prefer it to be darker like True Blood. The comedy side comes over as too badly acted/directed/written for my taste.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked the Johnny Ball and Rentaghost references in Becoming Human
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I've loved this show since the very start and it continues to be ok..... but sadly they have ruined it by bizarrely moving the location to Barry.
    Why move in on Gavin & Stacey territory.... further emphasized by them shoehorning Melanie Walters (Gwen in G&S) into this week's ep?
    Are they hoping to 'cash in' on G&S viewership?? What's the point?

[highlight]And for f**** sake when will producers start doing research and stop calling it Barry Island????
    Barry Island is a beach, fairground and holiday resort,
    The town is called Barry.[/highlight]
  • Options
    LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I've loved this show since the very start and it continues to be ok..... but sadly they have ruined it by bizarrely moving the location to Barry.
    Why move in on Gavin & Stacey territory.... further emphasized by them shoehorning Melanie Walters (Gwen in G&S) into this week's ep?
    Are they hoping to 'cash in' on G&S viewership?? What's the point?

[highlight]And for f**** sake when will producers start doing research and stop calling it Barry Island????
    Barry Island is a beach, fairground and holiday resort,
    The town is called Barry.[/highlight]

The thing is I'm probably not the only person who doesn't know who Gavin and Stacey are, and who doesn't watch Torchwood and/or Doctor who, so the locations are new to me - the Beeb will have worked our that there are a lot of people in the same boat, so it's worth just reusing the people/locations in another programme!
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Just to bring up what others have said, I'm glad Being Human is back, but Wales is casting a different view on it for me. Because the BBC seem to be obsessed with Wales and moving EVERYTHING to Wales, when watching last night, instead of being focused on the characters and the story, I found myself wandering "ohh, The Hospital from Doctor Who", "Ooh the pier from Gavin & Stacey", etc, etc. It just takes me out of the show when I'm seeing soo many locations from other TV shows.

Bristol didn't have that problem for me, because it was barely used on TV, Being Human took it and made it it's own, sort of, plus I'm missing the old house and those hilly paths.

You are quite wide of the mark here. Bristol has been used for years for locations, but is rarely identified as Bristol.

If you go back a bit to Softly Softly, Target and Shoestring, not to mention Casualty (sorry that's Holby, but I think there will more Welsh accents in that in the future ;) ).

As mentioned, Skins as well as Mistresses, Dirk Gently to name a few of the most recent programs filmed there.

Bristol also doubled as London in an episode of AdventureInc and also featured in Relic Hunter.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be one of the few people who doesn't want and Annie, Mitchell romance, they're far too different IMO.
    Mitchell keeps far too many secrets anyway, I don't see him being honest with Annie about everything that's going on in his life.
    I do think the 'spark' has been there for some time though, so it's not totally out of left field, but I'd have expected a lot of dancing about not quite getting to the point between those two.

I still want Annie to get a life of her own...

I don't want Annie and Mitchell to get together either, or any combination of Annie, Mitchell or George for that matter. :D

The new location doesn't bother me in the least and I really don't get why it does bother some people. :confused:
  • Options
    doom&amp;gloomdoom&amp;gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Double post.
  • Options
    doom&amp;gloomdoom&amp;gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Only Fools and Horses was also filmed in Bristol.

Maybe it's not the change in location but the increase in the number of outdoor locations that has changed the feel of the show and made it less contained and more open.

In other words it seems like less of a domestic drama with three (now four) people against the world and more like the characters are part of a larger, stranger, wider world and could be in danger of being lost amongst everything else.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I don't want Annie and Mitchell to get together either, or any combination of Annie, Mitchell or George for that matter. :D

The new location doesn't bother me in the least and I really don't get why it does bother some people. :confused:

Seconded.
    Annie, George and Nina might be doable though, and no doubt worth a good giggle, with the comedy fumbling.
    Our swinging couple, might have planted a seed :)
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seconded.
    Annie, George and Nina might be doable though, and no doubt worth a good giggle, with the comedy fumbling.
    Our swinging couple, might have planted a seed :)

You never know who might be reading! :D
  • Options
    natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iam not enjoying this third series quite as much as I was hoping to but while I haven’t got used to the new location yet its not because Ive seen the locations or any of the actors in previous shows as I don’t watch any other british shows, my issue is that we are not seeing the 4 main cast members interacting as much as I would like, the guest stars seem to be taking up more screen time instead :( Iam quite looking forward to see where they go with Annie & Mitchell :)
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I'm still loving the new series, just as much as the previous two and I really don't understand people's gripe with the location change - it works just as well as Bristol and at the end of the day it's about the storylines, how well they are written and acted, and the interactions between the characters, and where they physically are doesn't make much difference to that. I'm an avid Doctor Who and Torchwood fan and the fact that the locations are the same or similar doesn't bother me and it amuses me somewhat that it's an issue.
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I couldn't give a flying f**k about the location. At least season 3 is turning out better than season 2 IMO.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    I'm still loving the new series, just as much as the previous two and I really don't understand people's gripe with the location change.

It's not the change per se, it's why the heck did they choose Barry? :confused:

One could understand moving from Bristol to Cardiff, even from Bristol to Swansea.... but why move to a place that is relatively unknown and an integral part of another TV show?

A lot of the humour in Gavin and Stacey is based on the fact that Gavin comes from a nice suburb of London, and that Stacey comes from a backwater town in the Vale of Glamorgan - Barry. All the characters like Ness, Uncle Bryn, Gwen etc are 'types' and are the making of the show.

I don't seem to be explaining this very well..... I suppose BH seems to me to be elbowing in on G&S. They've pinched the location; pinched the Ness character (the estate agent in the 1st ep), and even pinched Melanie Walters (Gwen in G&S) for last Sunday's ep.

Wish they could be more original is all.
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member

One could understand moving from Bristol to Cardiff, even from Bristol to Swansea.... but why move to a place that is relatively unknown and an integral part of another TV show?

A lot of the humour in Gavin and Stacey is based on the fact that Gavin comes from a nice suburb of London, and that Stacey comes from a backwater town in the Vale of Glamorgan - Barry. All the characters like Ness, Uncle Bryn, Gwen etc are 'types' and are the making of the show.

I don't seem to be explaining this very well..... I suppose BH seems to me to be elbowing in on G&S. They've pinched the location; pinched the Ness character (the estate agent in the 1st ep), and even pinched Melanie Walters (Gwen in G&S) for last Sunday's ep.

I've never had the slightest inclination to watch Gavin and Stacey and until this thread had no idea it was set in Barry, and therefore obviously I'm also not familiar with the characters you mention. Maybe if I did watch it I may feel the same as you, but to be honest i still don't think I would, I'd probably be dong the 'spot the location' thing that others in this thread have mentioned but other than that I honestly don't think it would bother me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Sorry moving away from the location (which for me is ok)

Herrick was killed by a werewolf - so maybe he is now part werewolf and so is the one who 'kills' Mitchell - I say 'kills' cos if Herrick can be 'reborn', then so can Mitchell in a future series :D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

So because G&S used some of the locations no other series can ever use them again and because Melanie Walters appeared in G&S she can never appear in another TV series for the rest of her career???
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    I've never had the slightest inclination to watch Gavin and Stacey and until this thread had no idea it was set in Barry, and therefore obviously I'm also not familiar with the characters you mention. Maybe if I did watch it I may feel the same as you, but to be honest i still don't think I would, I'd probably be dong the 'spot the location' thing that others in this thread have mentioned but other than that I honestly don't think it would bother me.

I've never watched G&S either so for me that isn't an issue, it's more to do with the ambiance of the show, it just feels different. Maybe it's just me but previously the show just felt more contained, darker, claustrophobic even, now there's just to much open space, weird i know.
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Melanie Walters - I didn't recognise her ! , Maybe it was her different make up or something.

Going back to location issues I was expecting some forlorn area of Cardiff as the main location. For whatever reason they've chosen Barry and other localities, some dull, so far. Perhaps Barry Island could rebrand itself now as an Island of Lost Souls but then it's probably been close to being that all along. ;)
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lovinluka wrote: »
    Okay, well, I'll just agree to disagree. I find her performance grating and I don't ever get much emotional depth from her (at least not in the league of the other two main character's - and Nina!). It's also wrapped in with how I find her a bit of a trope female character, too, although Nina makes up for that.

I know, that's what I just said. I just don't think she's as strong an actress, nor as good as Turner/Tovey, so her bits of episodes are always lackluster or (at worst) irritating for me.

I find her a bit punchable myself, tbh. (The character, though I'm not overly keen on the actress when all's said and done.)

Nina and George are great but the whole M/A thing is even more annoying than I thought it was going to be.

Location's goood, though.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    urhggh go on then...how many episodes have i missed?
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    urhggh go on then...how many episodes have i missed?

Only 2, so you haven't done that badly really. :D
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol iplayer is my saviour! will try watch both over weekend