Options

Propranolol

FlorianFlorian Posts: 305
Forum Member
I have been prescribed this in tablets of 10mg form.

Anyone have any experience of taking it?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10mg is the lowest dose. I take 40mg as needed for palpitations, I think they are a godsend!

Why are you taking them? What do you want to know?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes ive had those in the past, quite good, no side effects for me.

I found if you take 1 an hour before a scary situation, they calm you down a bit and you dont get hives.

Dont worry about them, they are quite mild and harmlesss, they did help. :)
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take them when I am suffering extreme stress they help sometimes it varies.

Hope they work for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I was prescribed them for anxiety last year but they didn't work for me. On the plus side I didn't get any negative side effects from them either.
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've taken them on and off for a few years now, don't have any side effects luckily and they do help with my anxiety. I take a small dose daily just helps keep me straight when I find myself in scenarios where panic starts creeping in
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 15 years ago, I took 10mg x 3 daily for 6 months to break a cycle of stress-related migraines. It worked brilliantly. The only side effect I recollect was very slightly puffy ankles if I was too desk-based and didn't walk around enough during the day.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I was on it for years and dont recall any side effects, it did help a little with my SVT though. I dont take it anymore,m I am now on sotalol hydrochloride.Why have you been prescribed it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No side affects for me either been taking on/off for 4 years.
  • Options
    FlorianFlorian Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    To the people asking I was prescribed it by a GP for the treatment/management of anxiety.
  • Options
    Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Beta Blocker. 10mg is a low dosage, I used to be on 30mg for anxiety and panic attacks, they worked pretty well for me but I haven't had to take them for years. I didn't have any side effects, they just made me feel calmer and more able to deal with potentially stressful situations. Sometimes people get them prescribed for things like job interviews, driving tests, exams, that kind of thing. Good luck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I'm on 160mg a day. lolol. what.

didnt realise I was on such a high dose :/

ps i seem to have no side effects at all. except i get drunk really quick.
  • Options
    thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was prescribed them, to help with anxiety, They worked well, no side effects.
    I took them alongside fluoxetine and my GP also referred me to the CBT team which was a godsend.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took them and had a hideous allergic reaction. I had taken them years before and was fine but the Dr said that can happen. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    I had them for anxiety once but it slowed everything down so much (even my thoughts).
    So a bad thought would seem to last longer and I cried every day when I was on them.
    Also my heart beat was so slow I got chest pains.
    Terrible experience.
  • Options
    mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was put on Propranolol (40mg slow-release twice daily) instead of Citlropram as it was no longer working for me.

Whilst I have noticed a big difference in my anxiety and panic attacks it has made my depression worse, I have trouble sleeping (it's excessive, currently it's 7am - 6pm with the odd nightmare and shouting in my sleep), I get extremely tired for no reason, It's making my IBS symptoms worse (But no where near as bad as Citalopram did), but worst of all I have no 'get up and go', anything I want to do feels like a chore!

The good news is my thoughts are no longer shifting to thinking about death. By that I mean I'm thinking of something totally unrelated to death, then for no reason I'll think of something that relates to both what I'm thinking about and death.
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was prescribed the 80mg's recently and have found that they do absolutely nothing for me. My doctor says they kick in after about 3 weeks, but I still havn't found them helpful for stress/anxiety. It's just like I havn't taken anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I take 120mg a day to prevent migraines. Find they work well with no side effects.
  • Options
    Feed The ReaperFeed The Reaper Posts: 7,135
    Forum Member
    mpmc17 wrote: »
    I was put on Propranolol (40mg slow-release twice daily) instead of Citlropram as it was no longer working for me.

Whilst I have noticed a big difference in my anxiety and panic attacks it has made my depression worse, I have trouble sleeping (it's excessive, currently it's 7am - 6pm with the odd nightmare and shouting in my sleep), I get extremely tired for no reason, It's making my IBS symptoms worse (But no where near as bad as Citalopram did), but worst of all I have no 'get up and go', anything I want to do feels like a chore!

The good news is my thoughts are no longer shifting to thinking about death. By that I mean I'm thinking of something totally unrelated to death, then for no reason I'll think of something that relates to both what I'm thinking about and death.

Describes my wife perfectly...... was on a medium dosage, suffered tiredness, falling asleep a lot, IBS problems, lack of enthusiasm for anything.

The GP was concerned about something so made her up the dose to maximum, she upped it but not to maximum as prescribed and noticeably got more tired for no reason (she would fall asleep in the middle of phone calls, watching tv, on the laptop, even eating a meal once) and was almost narcoleptic. Then recently she started to get high blood pressure and other symptoms.... a different GP said it was pretty high a dose and that long-term it can have side-effects and told her to come down to a very low doseage and he would prescribe something for the blood pressure..... she was concerned she would get anxiety again but lowered it right down to a very low dose, so far she seems less tired, slightly more motivated and her health has improved. Her IBS has also improved slightly too.

She would come off it completely but she knows the benefit of reducing anxiety, but their are side effects and she doesn't like them..... some people may be lucky, others like my wife may not realise what is happening to them until it gets a stronger dose or after long-term effects.
  • Options
    alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been on Propranolol [Inderal] on and off since 1983 when I came off Valium [21 year addiction]. No side effects whatever, although some did happen when the Doc increased the dose from 80mg to 160mg per day. I forget what happened - but it stopped when I went back to 80mg.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florian wrote: »
    I have been prescribed this in tablets of 10mg form.

Anyone have any experience of taking it?
    Florian wrote: »
    To the people asking I was prescribed it by a GP for the treatment/management of anxiety.
    I'm just reading the patient leaflet, and under "usual doses" for anxiety it says "40mg before anxious situations", and "40mg 2 or 3 times a day for long-term anxiety". So you're on a really low dose for anxiety (although you don't say how many you take, but still...).

Both my sister and I take them for entirely different purposes, and neither of us get any side effects. I've only been on them 6 months, whereas she's been on them for 3-4 years.
    esfa wrote: »
    ps i seem to have no side effects at all. except i get drunk really quick.
    Ah. That would be why it says "you are advised to avoid alcohol whilst taking this medication". ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Ah. That would be why it says "you are advised to avoid alcohol whilst taking this medication". ;)

Nights are so much cheaper, so I go out twice as much.
    Yay.