215 in 2015

Comments

• Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12. The Hundred and Ninety-Nine Steps by Michel Faber.
    A student on an archaeological dig in Whitby meets a jogger whilst climbing the steps to the Abbey. She falls in love with his dog. Then a message in a bottle sets her off on an investigation into the past. 3/5.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9. The Bat - Jo Nesbo (Harry Hole book 1) 6.5/10

Norwegian detective Harry Hole is seconded to Australia to help in the investigation into the murder of a Norwegian girl. This turns into a hunt for a serial killer. Decent enough story just didn't feel totally engaged by this book. Also not particularly original in that it features a cop who is also an alcoholic.

10. A Game Of Thrones - George RR Martin (A Song of Ice & Fire book 1) - 7/10

The book the first season of the tv series was based on. Although I new the storyline from the tv show it was good to flesh out the characters a bit, and helped me to remember who everyone is!. Good book, but fairly long at 800 pages.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. The Secret Place - Tana French
    2. The Outcast Dead - Elly Griffths
    3. False Impression - Jeffrey Archer
    4. The Sweetest Hallelujah - Elaine Hussey
    5. The Octopus Nest - Sophie Hannah
    6. As the Crow Flies - Damien Boyd
    7. The Sea Detective - Mark Douglas Home
    8. The Woman who walked into the Sea - Mark Douglas Home
    9. Wonder - the Julian chapter - RJ Palacio
    10. Don't stand so close - Luana Lewis
    11. Pictures or it didn't happen - Sophie Hannah
    12. Only Time Will Tell - Jeffrey Archer
    13. Stranded - Emily Barr
    14. Broken Dolls - James Carol
    15. Elizabeth is missing - Emma Healey
    16. The Sins of the Father - Jeffery Archer

17. Penpal - Dathan Auerbach
    7/10 - this was described as horror on Amazon but I found it more sad than scary (except for at about 90% when I had to stop reading it in bed if I wanted to sleep!) It's about a man looking back on his childhood and making sense of a series of seemingly unconnected incidents that led to tragedy.
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11) Virtual Strangers by Lynne Barrett-Lee
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    5. NOS4R2 by Joe Hill. Very unsettling. It was a little odd reading about things from Stephen King's world in a book not written by him. I thought it was very well paced and written, but the dark atmosphere was a bit too much for me in the end.

6. Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    13. Entwined with you by sylvia day 7/10

Second part of the crossfire novels. This was better than part one as there was more of a story going on. Eva suspects gideon has dobe away with nasty nathan but it looks like it cant be proved. More sex. A lot.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    10) Avenger of Rome by Douglas Jackson 9.5/10

Book 3 in the Gaius Valerius Verrens series.

Intrigue and bloody adventure in Emperor Neros Rome.

Another great book in what is fast becoming my favourite series.

Wholeheartedly recommended.
  • DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    11. The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern 5/10
    About a mysterious circus and a duel between two magicians. Didn't really enjoy this. It was an easy enough read but I wasn't drawn into the story or the characters all that much. Has some good reviews on Goodreads though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13. History of the Rain by Niall Williams, narrated by Jennifer McGrath. It's quite appropriate that this should be my book number 13 this year and was finished on Friday 13th, the Swain family didn't have much luck.

Ruth Swain tells her family's story from her sickbed. The story is set in the recent past, Ruth's age is not clear, somewhere around late teens; she lives beside the River Shannon in Faha, County Clare and she is probably going to die.

Her account meanders through the generations of Swains, village life, her father's book collection, salmon fishing, and the endless rain. The writing is poetic and Ruth remains upbeat, but events are mostly depressing and the narrative goes on.........and on............and on. If I had been reading this in book form I may well have given up half way through, unlike Ruth's faithful prospective boyfriend, but in the audio version Jennifer McGrath has a nice Irish accent and so the book flowed over me.
    A very beautiful book but not an action thriller, bodice ripper, nor beach read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    14. Eeny Meeny by M.J. Arlidge 8/10

Got this recommendation from ds. Pairs of people are going missing and later one turns up dead and the other lives. The abductor leaves them with a gun and invites them to make the choice. DI Helen Grace is a damaged cop who likes to be punished in private to alleviate the demons of her past. She is searching for the killer and all the victims seem to have a connection to her.
    Really gripping story. Made me want to keep reading to see who the next victims were and whether they survive. Its pretty graphic and gruesome in places. The only reason I didnt give it higher is that the protagonist seems to go everywhere alone. Asking to get ambushed lol! Would def recommend this one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

18. The Crossing Places - Elly Griffiths
    10/10 - having accidentally read the 6th in the series earlier this year, I thought I'd start at the beginning and read the 1st. A brilliant book, I love the relationships between the DCI and forensic archaeologist and all of the other minor characters in the story were well described. I also found the history of the region interesting although it's not local t o me.
  • Kitty5Kitty5 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    3) The Woman Who Stole My Life - Marian Keyes 5/10
    Not as good as her earlier stuff.

4) Time And TIme Again - Ben Elton 9/10
    Really enjoyed this. I have enjoyed most of his books and this was really good. I couldn't put it down at times.
  • syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5. The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike #2) by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling) – Novelist Owen Quine goes missing, which is nothing unusual, but he’s been gone so long that his wife hires Strike to locate him. Strike enters the publishing world, where just about everyone is angry with Quine for one reason or another, not the least of which is the scandalous novel he had just produced. I really liked this book and thought it was even better than the first Strike novel (which I also enjoyed immensely). At the end, though, I thought Rowling went off into an extra-cruel and unnecessary characterization of one of the characters, but maybe it just hit too close to home for me. *shrug*
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »

10/10 - having accidentally read the 6th in the series earlier this year, I thought I'd start at the beginning and read the 1st. A brilliant book, I love the relationships between the DCI and forensic archaeologist and all of the other minor characters in the story were well described. I also found the history of the region interesting although it's not local t o me.

I don't know where you are Dolphin, but Elly Griffiths is doing a talk about her latest novel at the Abbey School in Woodbridge, Suffolk, on 27th March. (Tickets are £6) I guess she maybe doing a bit of tour and she might be near you somewhere :)

nb meant to add my latest read,

7. Time to be Earnest by PD James- an autobiographical diary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    I don't know where you are Dolphin, but Elly Griffiths is doing a talk about her latest novel at the Abbey School in Woodbridge, Suffolk, on 27th March. (Tickets are £6) I guess she maybe doing a bit of tour and she might be near you somewhere :)

nb meant to add my latest read,

7. Time to be Earnest by PD James- an autobiographical diary.

Thanks, it's too far on this occasion but I'll keep an eye out on her website in case she comes "up north".:)
  • DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    11. The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
    12. Post Office - Charles Bukowski 7.5/10
    Well this was the polar opposite to The Night Circus, thankfully. The first Bukowski book for me and I definitely want to read more. His writing is fantastic. The story is about a boozy, cynical womaniser who drifts through life and his job as a mail carrier.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10. A Game Of Thrones - George RR Martin (A Song of Ice & Fire book 1) - 7/10

The book the first season of the tv series was based on. Although I new the storyline from the tv show it was good to flesh out the characters a bit, and helped me to remember who everyone is!. Good book, but fairly long at 800 pages.

11 Worth Dying For - Lee Child (Jack Reacher book 15) - 7.5/10

Reacher ends up in a small town controlled by the Duncan family, who are desperate to stop him poking his nose around so they can receive a shipment. Better than the previous book in the series, 61 hours, however the way he survived the climax of that book is not explained in a particularly satisfactory manner.
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life is getting in the way of reading for me at the minute - hate that!!

61) Stuart McBride Blind Eye
    more of the Aberdeen police force and DS Logan Macrae

62) Andy Jones - The Two of Us
    Harmless and pleasant chick lit about a couple who conceive when they just meet and the effect on their relationship etc

63) Stuart MacBride - Dark Blood
    There is always a sort of cliffhanger at the end of these books so I keep reading them

64) Stuart MacBride - Shatter The Bones
    ......... and keep reading them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14. Stone Mattress: Nine Tales by Margaret Atwood. Short stories mostly concerned with aging, dark and bitingly witty.
    Forum Member
    11) Sword of Rome by Douglas Jackson 9/10

Book 4 in the Gaius Valerius Verrens series.

Tumultuous happenings in the Year of the 4 Emperors. Bloodily brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15. The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter, narrated by Michael Fenton Stevens.

TP and SB imagine a succession of Earths stretching into infinity. A simple box enables most people to step between earths, and the story follows a journey into the unknown by natural stepper Joshua and a sentient being called Lobsang.

I thought that the book got off to a good start, but then I got a bit bogged down with the science. Things picked up again once the journey commenced, with lots of interesting ideas. I would have liked more of Percy Blakeney's story. Reminiscent of The Time Machine in places, with a touch of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy occasionally.
    Forum Member
    12) I Am The Secret Footballer by The Secret Footballer 7.5/10

The inside story of the life of a professional footballer written by an anonymous pro player (a regular column appears in The Guardian).

Quick and entertaining read, lots of juicy titbits about unnamed players, managers and WAGs alongside some interesting insights into the life of a millionaire footballer.

There are plenty of clues as to the authors identity and a little bit of research reveals the most likely candidates.

A very different and very individual take on a football book.
    Forum Member
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    I'd recommend The Trinity Six to start with

I've eventually got around to this recommendation! Just done the first couple of chapters so far.

I read another one by Charles Cumming a few weeks ago - A Foreign Country - thought it was great.
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12) Unnatural Exposure by Patricia Cornwell
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

19. The Janus Stone - Elly Griffiths
    9/10 - the second in the series of books about forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway and DCI Harry Nelson - a body is uncovered at a former children's home where a developer is building flats. As well as the 2 main characters, some of those on the sidelines are also interesting especially Cathbad the Druid who always seems to be around at the right time. Loving this series, straight onto no.3.