215 in 2015

Comments

• clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    22) Fate is the Hunter by Ernest K Gann. 5/10

Autobiography covering the authors career in the pioneering days of aviation, WW2 and early commercial flight boom of the 50s.

Regarded as a classic in its field, there's a great story fighting to overcome the authors rather florid writing style and tendancy towards lengthy philosophising (the Fate of the title)

I was looking forward to reading this book (the cover proclaims it 'The Finest Book on Aviation Ever Written') but was sadly disappointed.

Maybe my expectations were too high.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    I was a big fan of this and really enjoyed it. My favourite Lionel Shriver book was So Much For That. I can appreciate that she is not everyone's cup of tea though

agreed, we cant all like the same eh? Booksellers would never sell anything lol!
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100) Cathy Lamb - If You Could See What I See
    Set in Portland, Oregon, story of a woman who founded a lingerie company, her daughter and three granddaughters. Business is struggling and one of the granddaughters comes back to turn it round. Took a while to get going but I enjoyed it.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. The Secret Place - Tana French
    2. The Outcast Dead - Elly Griffths
    3. False Impression - Jeffrey Archer
    4. The Sweetest Hallelujah - Elaine Hussey
    5. The Octopus Nest - Sophie Hannah
    6. As the Crow Flies - Damien Boyd
    7. The Sea Detective - Mark Douglas Home
    8. The Woman who walked into the Sea - Mark Douglas Home
    9. Wonder - the Julian chapter - RJ Palacio
    10. Don't stand so close - Luana Lewis
    11. Pictures or it didn't happen - Sophie Hannah
    12. Only Time Will Tell - Jeffrey Archer
    13. Stranded - Emily Barr
    14. Broken Dolls - James Carol
    15. Elizabeth is Missing - Emma Healey
    16. The Sins of the Father - Jeffrey Archer
    17. Penpal - Dathan Auerbach
    18. The Crossing Places - Elly Griffiths
    19. The Janus Stone - Elly Griffiths
    20. The House at Sea's End - Elly Griffiths
    21. A Room Full of Bones - Elly Griffiths
    22. The Lord God Made Them All - James Herriott
    23. Dying Fall - Elly Griffiths
    24. The Ghost Fields - Elly Griffiths
    25. The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins
    26. Best Kept Secret - Jeffrey Archer
    27. The Ice Twins - S.K. Tremayne
    28. The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion

29. The Accidental Adventurer - Ben Fogle
    8/10 - I rarely read autobiographies but this was recommended to me and I really enjoyed it although I felt it skimmed over some aspects of his life which would have been interesting (e.g.Castaway)
    Forum Member
    23) The Mysterious Case at Styles by Agatha Christie 7/10

The first case for Hercule Poirot.

Reading a Poirot is like slipping on an old comfortable pair of slippers.

Must read more Poirot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    28. Passion by Lauren Kate 5/10

Third part of a four book series for young adults. Premise is that Luce is in love with Daniel who is an angel. She discovers that this life isn't the only one they have been in love, they have been for many centuries but she always dies around her 17th birthday. This book deals with Luce travelling through 'announcers' which are kind of portals into different stages of time where she and Daniel were together to try to discover if she can lift her curse so they can always be together.

I really enjoyed book 1, liked book 2 but feel book 3 is just stretching out a story. I didnt find all the different Luce and Daniels very interesting as I didnt think they were well rounded. I will probably read book 4 just to finish the series off but really disappointed. Its a shame as Im quite a fan of YA fiction,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    101) Bryony Gordon - The Wrong Knickers
    Thought this was chick lit of a girl in her 20s being a bit wild then discover it's true ! I am getting old
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    18) If You Were Me by Sheila O'Flanagan
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    17. A Question of Identity by Susan Hill.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    17. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini 7/10

The story of an Afghan refugee as we follow him from childhood to adulthood, ending with him trying to make up for an event from his past. Good story, well written. Obviously not the most cheerful book.

18. Cards on The Table by Agatha Christie 7/10

Poirot investigates the murder of a man at a party he is throwing for 8 people, 4 who he knows have commited murder and got away with it in the past and 4 sleuths (both amateur and professional).

Typical Christie, good story, fast read
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    102) Midnight in Malmo - Torquil MacLeod
    This is the 4th book in the series of stories about Detective Anita Sundstrom. Not as dark as other Scandinavian crime novels and most enjoyable

103) Lettice and Victoria - Susanna Johnson
    Think I have read this before. Set in 1950s and story of a woman and her mother-in-law. Not my cup of tea
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    104) Agatha Christie - Curtain
    Poirot's last case. Didn't enjoy this one as much as other Christie books
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19. The Janus Stone - Elly Griffiths
    20. The House at Sea's End - Elly Griffiths
    21. A Room Full of Bones - Elly Griffiths
    22. The Lord God Made Them All - James Herriott
    23. Dying Fall - Elly Griffiths
    24. The Ghost Fields - Elly Griffiths
    25. The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins
    26. Best Kept Secret - Jeffrey Archer
    27. The Ice Twins - S.K. Tremayne
    28. The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion
    29. The Accidental Adventurer - Ben Fogle

30. The Zig Zag Girl - Elly Griffiths
    7/10 - this was very different from the Ruth Galloway series and is set in the early 1950s when one by one members of the The Magic Men, a group of magicians who worked together during the war, get murdered. It had a reasonable twist at the end but isn't as good as the Ruth Galloway series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    105) Shirley Wells - Deadly Shadows
    106) Shirley Wells - Dead Simple

Two more in the Dylan Scott series. Not as good as the earlier stories
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    26. The Mangle Street Murders by M.R.C. Kasasian.
    A Sherlock Holmes style whodunnit featuring a celebrated personal detective, his female ward and a police inspector. Ok, but not enjoyable enough to make me want to read the next one in the series.
  • DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    21. Black Swan Green - David Mitchell (7.5/10)
    I enjoyed this. First book of Mitchells that I have read and will probably give his others a go. Set in the 80s and follows a young lad, Jason Taylor and how he copes with having a stutter and the ridicule it brings at school. It's quite a humorous book and had me laughing out loud a few times.
    Forum Member
    24) Dissolution by C J Sansom 8/10

The first in the Matthew Shardlake series (the 6th, Lamentation has just been released in paperback).

A murder mystery set during the dissolution of the English Monasteries in Oliver Cromwell's time.

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Not my usual cup of tea and I was a bit unsure of the subject and setting but was totally hooked after the first couple of chapters.
    Forum Member
    Oops that should read Thomas Cromwell not Oliver, should really concentrate whilst typing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    24) Dissolution by C J Sansom 8/10

The first in the Matthew Shardlake series (the 6th, Lamentation has just been released in paperback).

A murder mystery set during the dissolution of the English Monasteries in Oliver Cromwell's time.

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Not my usual cup of tea and I was a bit unsure of the subject and setting but was totally hooked after the first couple of chapters.

I loved these books. They are not my usual type of books but for some reason I was hooked. Sansom's non Shardlake books are also very good stories.
    I read that a new Shardlake is out at the end of the year and hope thats true. Mr Sansom has sadly been very ill.
    Forum Member
    I loved these books. They are not my usual type of books but for some reason I was hooked. Sansom's non Shardlake books are also very good stories.
    I read that a new Shardlake is out at the end of the year and hope thats true. Mr Sansom has sadly been very ill.

We seem to have similar tastes Oxford Girl, I think it was you that recommended Charles Cumming IIRC?

I notice you're partial to an Agatha Christie, that's who I reach for if I want a quick comfortable pick me up read.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Dissolution be was hooked from chapter 3, I've already got 2 and 3 on the (ever increasing) to read pile.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    27. Life of Pi by Yann Martel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    We seem to have similar tastes Oxford Girl, I think it was you that recommended Charles Cumming IIRC?

I notice you're partial to an Agatha Christie, that's who I reach for if I want a quick comfortable pick me up read.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Dissolution be was hooked from chapter 3, I've already got 2 and 3 on the (ever increasing) to read pile.

Hi CLM

Yes I think it was me that recommended Charles Cumming
    I'll watch what your reading more carefully now for ideas!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    105) Shirley Wells - Deadly Shadows
    106) Shirley Wells - Dead Simple

Two more in the Dylan Scott series. Not as good as the earlier stories

Oops got this wrong
    106) was Dead End not Dead Simple
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    107) The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt
    A long read! Read this for my book club and very much enjoyed it. Main character is caught up in a bomb blast as a child, loses his mother and steals a painting. This has a major effect on the next 15 years of his life. It seems to me like a modern day Dickens

108) Speak Swahili Dammit - James Penhaligon
    A story of an English boy growing up in post war East Africa. Didn't like this very much.
  • syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9. The Whole Enchilada (Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17) by Diane Mott-Davidson – Goldy’s old friend Holly is killed – probably poisoned by some of Goldy’s own food – and Goldy is on the prowl to figure out who killed her. Along the way, Goldy reflects a lot on their friendship and discovers that there was a lot she didn’t know about Holly, even when they were close friends. This book wasn’t quite as good as the older Goldy books, but it was still miles better than some of the other books I’ve read lately. If it was the final book for the series, then it was a great way to round it out.